Risking life and limb in the interests of railway modelling.

Don't tell the insurance man, you premiums will go up for being involved in a dangerous sport.

You've no idea of the trials and tribulations the taking of those photies caused.

P

As the Poster of the original Cemflo photo's I can confirm that the Banner lettering and edging was Blue Circle blue (makes sense really). Although usually the wagons were that filthy it was difficult to tell.

The R U Paddington brake van says "Return to Ashford Works" with what looks like "S/P 1964" below that. I have already uploaded a shot of the Peak on the head of this train. These photos were taken on 19/06/1964. I have a shot of the Pal vans that were also on these trains. I have a load of slides to scan and upload so I can't say how soon I will get this done. I remember the horrendous flange squeal these things produced as they went through Newcastle. I never thought a few wagon pictures would produce so much interest.

Tony

Think Basil Fawlty and the stags head.

Mike.

Moose...  MOOSE.

As in Scandinavian Vehicle Swerve Test  (Undanmanöverprov), not "Hoots Mon".

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106526-model-rail-scotland-2016/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2166398

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Porcy,

I've replied to a post you made some time ago to draw attention to one of the photographs in the post.

I'm most interested in the last one which shows the cylinders on the end platform.

Could you supply any further detail of these cylinders:

- dimensions?

- are they both suspended from the same brackets?

- further detailed images?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm doing further conversions of the Hornby model and although I can find something which resembles the cylinder on the right, I can't find anything to replace the cylinder on the left.

If anyone can direct me to a source, smashing. If not, I'm considering having parts made by 3D printing.

If there is interest from anyone else, let me know. It'll make the overall project cheaper for me.

Anyhow, any information you can provide would be appreciated. If you didn't take any measurements, I'll take a trip down to Darlington.

Regards,

Bob

Didn't take any measurements Bob and that was the best pic of the top of the cylinders that I took.  

I'm not quite sure but I think that nice Scottish chappie that lives near to Uddingson said he might be considering doing a casting of the dished top l/h cylinder? With a little bit of filing the vac cyls VC01 (7.36 mm dia.),  VC02 (9.36 mm Dia.) or VC03  in the range looks as though they will be OK for the r/h cylinder.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_143.htm

Sorry I can't be more help.

P

Unusual disclaimer:

As I've said before, I know Mr Franks and think the sun shines out of his ar$e. He also does some nice cast bits.

Edited by Porcy Mane

post-23776-0-01892500-1485433741.jpg

I think these are a better representation of the RH cylinder.

Can't find anything the remotest bit like the other one.

It does look to me as if they are both on the same bracket.

I'll drop Frank an email and send him your regards.

I can hear Darlington calling.

Bob

attachicon.gifphsbrc040.jpg

They look like Wizards. I suppose it depends on how their diameter corresponds to the prototype. I seem to remember they were originally designed to be slightly under scale to fit the kit they were  indented for?

Got to be better than London.

P

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifphsbrc040.jpg

Can't find anything the remotest bit like the other one.

It does look to me as if they are both on the same bracket.

I'll drop Frank an email and send him your regards.

Bob

You'd be better dropping Dave an email, his brother doesn't reply.

Please go to Darlington with your tape measure, I never managed it, and I'm some 1300 miles further away than before!

Mike.

Do they need an apprenticeship now?

My spulling apprenticeship was probably about two weeks long. That's still longer than what they call an apprenticeship now. Nowt like the five years when we were nippers.

P.s I can't find your e mail addy so that I can turn some brass into swarf.

Thanks Stovepipe,

Measured and photographed the end platform cylinders.

Artwork to be prepared next week.

Waiting confirmation of 3D printing and parts availability.

Had a great afternoon while they struggled to get a crane on the back of a low loader.

A guided tour round the oldest railway building in the world at the Darlington Railway Preservation Society (owners of Std 2 78018 - famed as the loco stuck in snow on Blea Moor in 1963.

Bob

• Like 2