• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm the vehicle identification used, for cemflo wagons, throughout the 1960's?

Introduced, there is classification in the form of LAxx. Did this continue throughout the period.

It is difficult to source photograph detailed enough to see the vehicle identification.

There is a very good image in this thread which is reported to be from the period but it is so heavily weathered the identification is obliterated.

The only other photograph I can find is from the Yorkshire Post of the Thirsk accident. The near vehicle looks to have identification other than the LAxx.

The next vehicle has 102 looking hand painted on the hopper end (presumably LA102). It is not possible to make out the hopper side ID.

Can anyone help?

Bob

Would anyone know the technical specification of the axleboxes originally fitted to the GRCW batches, such that I could track down an official drawing to get some 3-d printed in 4mm?

With roller bearings, was it the bearing manufacturer that designed the axlebox casting, possibly also supplying the bearings ready assembled in the axlebox?

It's yet another point of differentiation between the GRCW and Metro-Cammell batches!

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm the vehicle identification used, for cemflo wagons, throughout the 1960's?

Introduced, there is classification in the form of LAxx. Did this continue throughout the period.

It is difficult to source photograph detailed enough to see the vehicle identification.

There is a very good image in this thread which is reported to be from the period but it is so heavily weathered the identification is obliterated.

The only other photograph I can find is from the Yorkshire Post of the Thirsk accident. The near vehicle looks to have identification other than the LAxx.

The next vehicle has 102 looking hand painted on the hopper end (presumably LA102). It is not possible to make out the hopper side ID.

Can anyone help?

Bob

The diagram book from 1984 still gives the owners numbers as LA1-190 with registration numbers 8301-8490. However it looks like the LA numbers just remained on the builders plate from the late 1960s onwards. Not sure we have had this photo of 8401 before, sadly there is no date but it illustrates the point.

https://www.Hornby.com/media/tinymce_upload/3ca18aba79651e6cf9da4da7ea9dd533.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone know the technical specification of the axleboxes originally fitted to the GRCW batches, such that I could track down an official drawing to get some 3-d printed in 4mm?

With roller bearings, was it the bearing manufacturer that designed the axlebox casting, possibly also supplying the bearings ready assembled in the axlebox?

It's yet another point of differentiation between the GRCW and Metro-Cammell batches!

The Nim.

The diagram books say 124mm dia roller bearings if that helps, same for the Met-Cam batch.

Not sure we have had this photo of 8401 before, sadly there is no date but it illustrates the point.

Hmm. What's that doing on the Hornby site? A hint at a surprise announcement perhaps? 

That one seems to have acquired a heavy horizontal weld line on the barrel. Was that a major repair? It's also acquired some M-C style barrel brackets and solebar stiffeners. 

The photo is late enough that the solebar has acquired a modern wheel profile marking.

The Nim.

Edited by Nimbus

I don't think you can read too much into that. The Pic is from a poster on a wishlist thread.

Oh good. It's worth me pressing on then. Wonder if I can find the same axlebox (e.g. brake cylinder end of APCM8401, linked above) somewhere in preservation?

The Nim.

The Nim.

If you are looking to improve the Hornby cemflo with 3D printed parts, I've already had the filler hatch and the end cylinders produced by Modelu. I'm sure he could be pursuaded to produce another run of parts if you're interested.

Bob

Wonder if I can find the same axlebox (e.g. brake cylinder end of APCM8401, linked above) somewhere in preservation?

If it's just the axlebox you're after, Rumney models does a similar casting as part of the range. I'm sure Justin will not mind me posting a pic I've lifted from his catalogue.

post-508-0-68965900-1493141918.jpg

Hornguide strengtheners are also available as an etch. Last item on this page.

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wagon-detailing

P

Unusual disclaimer.

As with Mr Franks and his buffers., Mr Newitts products are also marvelous so IMHO the sun shines out of both their respective ar$e's

• Like 2

If you are looking to improve the Hornby cemflo with 3D printed parts, I've already had the filler hatch and the end cylinders produced by Modelu. 

I've never got over my disappointment when the Hornby model first came out! Seeing the work others are having to put into it, I'm starting from scratch, beginning with a dose of CAD wrangling. Besides, Hornby's inspiration was the Metro-Cammell version, and I want the earlier Gloucester version. Do you have a pic of your cylinders?

If it's just the axlebox you're after, Rumney models does a similar casting as part of the range. 

That does look like the one! Bit of a pity it's not associated with the appropriate spring and scroll irons. But those I've already got drawn up, so next need to tie up with Modelu.

The Nim.

post-23776-0-00879600-1493153956.jpgpost-23776-0-59492900-1493153981.jpgpost-23776-0-02738200-1493154003.jpg

As requested.

Still a work in progress. Awaiting branding and weathering.

Scale length as per the cut and shut method posted by John Isherwood earlier in the thread.

My only issue at the moment is when they were identified with APCM numbering as these aren't currently available as transfers.

The end cylinders have been printed to represent the Gloucester condition.

Bob

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 3

Miss Underwood? That rings a school bell.

There was you, an ageing fifth year and innocent Miss Underwood a mere fresher. Ding D0ng. (as Terry Thomas once said)

And there, in a couple of minutes is the main reason this  poor soul, (as a five year old) became interested in model trains. In the days before video recorders and the interwebby the image of Gomez absorbed in pure joy whilst blowing up his train, stuck in my head, clear as a bell, for decades. After first seeing that clip, I just had to have a train set. Oh! and some dynamite.

Edited by Porcy Mane

There was you, an ageing fifth year and innocent Miss Underwood a mere fresher. Ding D0ng. (as Terry Thomas once said)

And there, in a couple of minutes is the main reason this  poor soul, (as a five year old) became interested in model trains. In the days before video recorders and the interwebby the image of Gomez absorbed in pure joy whilst blowing up his train, stuck in my head, clear as a bell, for decades. After first seeing that clip, I just had to have a train set. Oh! and some dynamite.

"You meant to blow them up?"

"Why else would a grown man play with trains..."

Mike

Now we've all done that (as kids ??) at some point in the past ................. well maybe not with the cigar afterwards   :O

I mean why were Airfix aircraft kits invented other than for air rifle target practice ?

That SQ above looks really good .......... :good:

Now we've all done that (as kids ??) at some point in the past ................. well maybe not with the cigar afterwards   :O

I mean why were Airfix aircraft kits invented other than for air rifle target practice ?

That SQ above looks really good .......... :good:

Well! An alternative that I preferred was to run string from the bedroom to the back garden. Attach you airfix 1/72nd scale stuka. Set fire to it and let it dive into the potatoes.
  • Like 1

Well! An alternative that I preferred was to run string from the bedroom to the back garden. Attach you airfix 1/72nd scale stuka. Set fire to it and let it dive into the potatoes.

Great minds think alike. Shifting up a scale or two, I found Dinky cars burned with a nice blue flame. They burned even better when giving them a quick scoot of water from my Marquis Merryweather fire engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=172644231188&&&adgroupid=43920634520&rlsatarget=pla-359427365517&abcId=1063846&adtype=pla&merchantid=113702758&poi=&googleloc=1006928&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0&chn=ps

I didn't realise hot magnesium and water were incompatible!

Miss Underwood never knew I still played with Dinky.  >?)

Edited by Porcy Mane

Once the 3rd 4th & 5th years  moved to the new site standards dropped immensely. It was amazing what you could get away with in the library.

Nice to see my old first year classroom (Ma Hutton) masquerading as a police cell in George Gently.