Jump to content

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Many thanks for that PM,

 

Looks like 17 or 18 Presflos so quite a bit shorter than the Cemflo train. Those wagons all look to be in bauxite livery, rather than the Blue Circle yellow. Is that what you’d expect?

 

 

 

That all have APCM Blue Circle boards so probably originally Yellow or Grey bodies depending on year built and manufacturer. The train is very likely made up of both. Much as the train seen here at 7 mins 42 Secs.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks PM,

 

Nice footage of the Class 31 + Presflos, but presumably well into the 1960s. My understanding was that there were at least three batches of Blue Circle Presflos. The yellow ones as per the Airfix kit in 1960, the grey ones with rectangular advertising as on the yellow ones in 1963 (see quote from HMRSPaul below) and a bauxite batch with smaller Blue Circle roundels in 1961 (as on https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/grcw_cement-wagons/and recently produced by Bachmann). I had also assumed (based on photos) that there was a bauxite batch with the larger square advertising but I now suspect they must have been dirty yellow or grey wagons.

 

Am I right in saying that there weren't any grey wagons before 1963? I hope to be wrong as it will save me repainting a couple of grey wagons in my possession!

 

Regards

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Am I right in saying that there weren't any grey wagons before 1963?

 

Check out the release date of the film. 1961! So filmed earlier and the footage highlights  many BR projects of the mid to late 1950's. 31 has no SYWP.

 

Plenty of Gray Presflo's in that rake. Take caution with the Presflo body types though. Fortunately Bachmann has moulded both types.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

'Focus on Freight- Eastern Region Freight Since 1960' by Shaun Pearce has some photos which may be of interest.

Page 39 has a view of 92040 at Knebworth on 25th May 1963 on the Up train from Uddingston. The wagons are Cemflos.

Page  42 has a rake of Presflos at Peterborough behind V2 60845, taken in July, 1961.

Page 34 has 9F 92188 on Blue Circle Presflos in June 1960 at Broookman's Cross.

Page 31 has a BR official view of a block train of 'Blue Circle' Presflos at Barking flyover. Steam hauled (you can see the exhaust), but loco not visible.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

The Purfleet to Cambuslang and Leith Service commenced in June 1960. Initially it was hauled North to York by Class 9F’s, but it quickly increased in length and apparently it’s haulage became a problem. Famously Peter Townend stated that the only locomotives that were powerful enough to haul it were The Thompson A2/3’s. However try as I might I have been unable to find a photo or recorded details of their use on this train.

From August 1961 a new service was inaugurated from Cliffe to Uddingston utilising Cemflo wagons and appears to have eventually replaced the previous Anglo Scottish Service that utilised Presfos. Thus if A2/3’s were used it was probably only for a short period during 1961. It appears that Presflos were still operated in trains along The ECML as flyash was also carried as well as cement but the train length was probably shorter than previously so 9F’s and V2’s were able to undertake the work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin Roche said:

The Purfleet to Cambuslang and Leith Service commenced in June 1960. Initially it was hauled North to York by Class 9F’s, but it quickly increased in length and apparently it’s haulage became a problem. Famously Peter Townend stated that the only locomotives that were powerful enough to haul it were The Thompson A2/3’s. However try as I might I have been unable to find a photo or recorded details of their use on this train.

From August 1961 a new service was inaugurated from Cliffe to Uddingston utilising Cemflo wagons and appears to have eventually replaced the previous Anglo Scottish Service that utilised Presfos. Thus if A2/3’s were used it was probably only for a short period during 1961. It appears that Presflos were still operated in trains along The ECML as flyash was also carried as well as cement but the train length was probably shorter than previously so 9F’s and V2’s were able to undertake the work.

There are a few photos, which may be of interest, in 'Focus on Freight' by Shaun Pearce.

On page 34, there is a photo of a 9F on Presflos, taken at Potter's Bar in June 1960.

Page 39 has a view of another 9F on Cemflos, taken at Knebworth on May 25th 1963.

Finally, Page 42 has V2 60845 at Peterborough North on Presflos, taken July 1961.

Sadly, I found no views of Pacifics on cement workings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Presflo Workings on The Southern Section of The ECML I have only been able to identify the use of 9F’s and V2’s. Sightings of A2/3s on Freight Trains along this section also appear to be rare at this time although there is a record of 60515 Sun Stream on The Overnite Meat Train from Aberdeen in September 1961 ( thanks to Tommy Knox for info ).

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Presflo Workings on The Southern Section of The ECML I have only been able to identify the use of 9F’s and V2’s. Sightings of A2/3s on Freight Trains along this section also appear to be rare at this time although there is a record of 60515 Sun Stream on The Overnite Meat Train from Aberdeen in September 1961 ( thanks to Tommy Knox for info ).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2019 at 10:46, Fat Controller said:

There are a few photos, which may be of interest, in 'Focus on Freight' by Shaun Pearce.

On page 34, there is a photo of a 9F on Presflos, taken at Potter's Bar in June 1960.

Page 39 has a view of another 9F on Cemflos, taken at Knebworth on May 25th 1963.

Finally, Page 42 has V2 60845 at Peterborough North on Presflos, taken July 1961.

Sadly, I found no views of Pacifics on cement workings.

 

 

If you look back through this thread you will find a Pacific on a Cemflo - an A4 in fact. 

 

Scroll about 2/3rds down the page for 60006. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.