The plan. Two 'B' or not to be?

more-kits

brief interlude of other scales and I am back to the beginning. eBay bargains and the inevitable searches that pass a Sunday evening.

I have recently been passed a rather nifty track plan that at 4x1ft is perfect for a shelf layout. Baseboard provided by a Swedish manufacturer just down the road, stock around and about the place...this will be a very quick project creating minimal mess (Wifey request!), be cheap to pull off and not fill our humble abode with trestles tables,lengths of O gauge track or comments of "When did i get that and why?"

I need something to run some modified stock. The priority being some reworked Airfix b sets.

post-10542-0-38521400-1454339572_thumb.jpg

When I work out how to add a picture to my blog this will flow better. Nevertheless, the plan allows for one b set coach and a pannier to fit comfortably within the platform with enough room for a mixed passsenger freight working. Maybe even a fruit D or horsebox perhaps.

Freight can consist of three wagons plus toad brake van, open coal/merchandise and cattle.

The plan needs a water tower of some sort, suitable yard crane and thoughts about what can take up the front. a little effort with the viewing side could allow a slight embankment. House at the end by the crossing could be a farm building or perhaps a small public house for the thirsty fireman.

I'm not sure it works that well, I tried it on Anyrail and it looked very tight.

The 57XX Pannier and B set was more a BR thing than GW as the 57XX were Blue route availability in GW days.  2021 and 850 saddle tanks and panniers were branch line engines in the along with the 45XX small prairies in the 1920s and 14XX and 58XX 0-4-2T and the 74XX panniers came in the 1930s.  There were also Metros and 517 class and those railmotors with outside walschearts valve gear in earlier days.

I did a doodle in Anyrail attached

post-21665-0-19394800-1454373466.png

Thanks David.

I like what you have done with the plan. Looks very good with the longet siding at the front of the layout. I had always thought that even the small prairies would dwarf a small layout and look out of place.

with the whole era thing, I was opting for a run down ex GWR branch in the hands of 14xx. Something along similar lines to the Culm Valley. Avoiding gthe old GWR cliche was an initial thought but Im actually quite drawn to 1930's to mid 40's era. Kit built stock being a patient way of waiting out the winter.o

I was thinking last nhight that a discrete exit from the layout after the trailing point by the station could be something to bear in mind turning this plan into a through run instead of an end of the line. Keeping options open for a second fiddle yard at least. Neither fiddle yards need be more than a fewc short cassettes.

Thanks again for the Anyrail drawing.

The GWR built several stations to the approx design I sketched circa 1890 ish as Terminus with the option to continue the line if required, the Wrington Vale had some.  In previous time the Fairford Branch had the Fairford terminus designed as a through station but the line finished in a field hlf a mile of so from the station, so a bit of detachable scenery and the same station can work as a terminus with one FY or a thorugh sta with 2 FYs.

Culm Valley is good, locos were a bit limited  Exeter based 14XX in later steam years, various light 2-4-0T in earlier times but was regular milk traffic in those nice 6 wheel milk tanks, 6 of them would make a nice load for a 14XX

Until near the end  they used some old low roof carriages which were gas lit as the trains went too slow to charge the batteries on the branch.  When they had to use electrically lit coaches they gave them a run up the main line to charge the batteries!

Worth bearing in mind that B-sets normally operated in pairs and single workings were rare. One batch of B-sets were built that could run singly (I think one was a regular on the Kingsbridge branch) but these were diagram E147 and somewhat different to the Airfix/Hornby versions which are based on the E140. Here is a shot of a single E147 on a Kingsbridge working.

6406514_orig.jpg

As you can see it is quite flat-sided compared to the Airfix/Hornby version with its rounded tumblehome. It is also flat ended unlike the earlier bow-ended versions.

Thanks for all the comments. Finally getting into RMWeb! Nothing done this weekend as I've been far to busy.

May have a day trawling some images and expanding on my plans tomorrow. I have a 5ft by 9inch board in the shed that hopefully has survived the leaking roof. Narrower than my ideal size but can live with that for the extra length. It needs using and justifys the effort plus its one less thing in our overcrowded shed.

I was however browsing some other threads on here late in the week. Perhaps a single Comet kit for the passengers?

Have good weekend all. Lidl do some smashing real ales for those with taste. Cheers!

Archived