50149 Defiance on freight/Parcels?

Does anybody have any pics or info of 50149 Defiance on Freight? What wagons did it haul apart from CDA'S Did it work Speedlink? or maybe the odd parcels train? Any info pics greatly appreciated as i am researching for my layout.At the time Defiance was allocated to railfreight i was too busy bashing the rest of the class.

many thanks

Ian

50149 was a regular performer on Speedlink workings while allocated to St Blazey. Used to work the morning St Blazey-Tavistock Jcn-Heathfield-Tavistock Jcn-St Blazey trip and/or the afternoon St Blazey-Exeter and Exeter-Westbury, returning to St Blazey early the following morning. All these workings were mainly assorted china clay wagons (mix of vans, slurry tankers and covered hoppers).

I've also seen it on a late evening St Blazey-Penzance trip, which conveyed vans to Truro and oil tanks to Penzance.

Very old scan of it on Polybulks here:

http://www.kalyr.com/railways/lwphotos.htm

50149 was a regular performer on Speedlink workings while allocated to St Blazey. Used to work the morning St Blazey-Tavistock Jcn-Heathfield-Tavistock Jcn-St Blazey trip and/or the afternoon St Blazey-Exeter and Exeter-Westbury, returning to St Blazey early the following morning. All these workings were mainly assorted china clay wagons (mix of vans, slurry tankers and covered hoppers).

I've also seen it on a late evening St Blazey-Penzance trip, which conveyed vans to Truro and oil tanks to Penzance.

Very old scan of it on Polybulks here:

http://www.kalyr.com/railways/lwphotos.htm

Hi Tim thanks gives me an excuse to run on other wagons other than CDA'S Now did you ever see it on a parcels train?

This site mentions several sample Speedlink consists hauled by 50149 and here also mentions oil tanks and HEAs.

I think these are PCA cement tanks.

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/Archive-Images/50s/50149-14-06-88-EXETER-WSB-TAUNTONEAST.jpg

It certainly ran a few trials to Meldon but couldn't manage the load.

Cheers

David

Wouldn't have thought parcels was that likely (although never say never - plenty of strange and unlikely things happenned then as they do now!)

Parcels was a totally different business sector of BR supplying their own pool of ETH 47s for that work.

Parcels traffic by then was all 90mph+ vehicles IIRC.

IIRC 50149 was limited to 75mph with ETH isolated as a freight loco - so not likely to be first choice if Parcels were short of power and they needed a sub from another sector.

Once the testing of '149 was complete and it was found that sandboxes would be required (removed during refurbishmentin the early 1980's) to make further conversions worth while. Fitting of the equipment was deemed too expensive so loco was used as cover for the two 37's that were away at Crewe having extensive crash damage repairs done. When the 37's returned '149 was transfered to the DCWA departmental sector briefly before it was rebogied again, painted NSE and worked the Ex-Wl for the remainder of it's career.

So in terms of the frieght it worked - it was essentaily worked 37 diagrams out of St Blazey for about 18months (IIRC)

Yeagh Hell fire Bulwark and Defiance on cda,s wish i could see more of the locos though .As regarding Defiance working a parcels i am looking through some old fifty forums.Ive found it working a passenger train albiet ecs ex mule stock dh with another 50 so you never know. Wil post the other loco if somebody interested? Of cours we all know about the litle escapade Defiance had asisting Triumph with broken windscreen down to paignton.Strange how both these locos were susequentlypreserved.Anymore pics of Defiance as 149 welcome.

Can only find stabled shots for now - but here they are anyway.

post-2613-126774019087_thumb.jpg

post-2613-126774021697_thumb.jpg

post-2613-126774022924_thumb.jpg

Thanks Craig they are hellfire anyway.I think the Railfreight two tone grey livery with the Sector markings realy suited the class 50;s and it's a pity 149 was not a sucess as who knows the 50;s would have lasted longer working for railfreight

Archived