Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

So the hundred yard dash is now more of a 400m jog.

I hope there'll be stewards lined up en route with trays of drinks, oranges and sponges to dish out.

Maybe some form of tape across the finish line too?

btw i've no interest in the actual sales stand, i just found the mad sprint at opening rather funny last year...

It's part of the entertainment first thing on the Saturday for us bystanders watching the Rudolphs make a dash for it.

My personal 'want to sees' are

Mara Harbour B17A - I want to see milocomarty's greenery!

Llawryglyn D34 - Lovely little Cambrian layout with very neat EM trackwork.

The Bridge at Remagen B59 - Al's excellent Rhineland scene.

Gweek North Quay E09 - Excellent Cornish scene

Loftus Road C36 - James Makin's superb garage and shops.

You have missed all those P4 layouts, Andy.  Special 40th birthday gathering.

• RMweb Premium

I thought I might make my first visit to Warley on Sunday but I noticed that the car parking charges are £12 for two hours, with no mention that I could see of being able to stay longer at any price. OK so look at the railway; just under £44 for the fare from Kenton to Birmingham International and return. Someone's taking the mick here.

I take a look at UK Model Shops webpage and find http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/13839-LetchworthModelRailwaySocietyExhibition . I went last year, really nice local model railway exhibition.

Sorry, but I won't be going to Warley

Where does the £12 for two hours come from?

It's £12 all day.

As for train fares, It's all about supply and demand, if you leave it late to book, the price is usually higher with the long distance operators such as VWC and AXC. Just like air tickets.

I'll be glad when Warley's over, as there'll be no more complaints about high parking charges, bad hall lighting, high train fares, bad personal hygiene and rucksacks.......

Until next year...........

Cheers,

Mick

I thought I might make my first visit to Warley on Sunday but I noticed that the car parking charges are £12 for two hours, with no mention that I could see of being able to stay longer at any price. OK so look at the railway; just under £44 for the fare from Kenton to Birmingham International and return. Someone's taking the mick here.

I take a look at UK Model Shops webpage and find http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/13839-LetchworthModelRailwaySocietyExhibition . I went last year, really nice local model railway exhibition.

Or, as has been discussed quite a lot in this thread, you could park for free at a nearby station and catch the train to Birmingham International at £2.20 return

I'm sure Letchworth is a nice exhibition. You get 20 layouts, 15 traders and 1 demo for £5 which looks like good value for money. A Warley ticket costs £15 which is three times more. For this you get over 90 layouts, nearly 150 trade stands, over 20 demos, over 60 societies and some other displays including the real Betton Grange.

Yup, I looked at options but cheapest was to stick to Arriva Trains Wales rather than London Midland/Virgin. Flint offers free parking so preferred over Chester. On the way there it's a direct service so head down snooze time. The 18.09 return would be a change at Shrewsbury or going by an earlier comment that trains at this time are rammed, then I may grab some eats and get the 19.09 direct to Chester and then a short hop to Flint.

No, didn't book an advance as I couldn't decide which day to go.

Warley advance tickets are not day-specific, mine can be used on either day.

Or, as has been discussed quite a lot in this thread, you could park for free at a nearby station and catch the train to Birmingham International at £2.20 return

I'm sure Letchworth is a nice exhibition. You get 20 layouts, 15 traders and 1 demo for £5 which looks like good value for money. A Warley ticket costs £15 which is three times more. For this you get over 90 layouts, nearly 150 trade stands, over 20 demos, over 60 societies and some other displays including the real Betton Grange.

Letchworth is another good local exhibition, at a venue about 3 miles from where I live - parking is free but limited. 

Travel to and from Warley is a 90 minute or so drive and I find it's size and noise tiring so as often as not i go to Letchwoof instead.  However, this year I shall be going to Warley to see Grantham and other high quality layouts and, hopefully, some new 00 bullhead track!

To be honest it's rare you can quickly nip out to the car as it's probably a 5 min bus ride or 10-15min walk to the car parks ;)

Where's the evil smiley?

Could bring a rucksack :)

I will have a ruck sack but usually wear it as a front sack in the hall; added advantage is that I do not have to take it off to insert leaflets etc. picked up from the stands.

It's part of the entertainment first thing on the Saturday for us bystanders watching the Rudolphs make a dash for it.

What's all the fuss about Bachmann?

• RMweb Gold

What's all the fuss about Bachmann?

Just the obsession with bargains like any store sale. I hear that they are going to build an obstacle course to entertain the exhibitors as they pass, I'm going to get there early and pick a spot by the water splash.

• RMweb Gold

I've been out for a 30minute brisk walk every day for the last week.

So i'm match ready to do what Usain Bolt wouldn't do...

Holiday inn tomorrow night, British empire breakfast on Saturday and burn it off at 9.15.

When watching the rudolphs, look out for the speeding elephant waddling up the hall in the middle :-)

For those arriving early on Sunday and would like to see 1:1 sized steam these are the times for 45407 and 44871 at Birmingham international.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50716/2016/11/27/advanced

The train + Black 5's + WCR Diesel are stabled overnight at Birmingham international, and arrives on Saturday 20:52, leaving london at 1730 (as an ecs times may vary)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50715/2016/11/26/advanced

• RMweb Gold

All depends on which trains you go but it didn't take long to find it about £5 cheaper with a very simple split.

You have missed all those P4 layouts, Andy.  Special 40th birthday gathering.

Quite, an important milestone with lots on display. Will be well worth a visit.

The trouble with some of the smaller stations, is that whilst the car parks are free, they fill up fast at certain times as many people have cottoned onto the free stations and all have the same idea. The other problem is getting onto the actual train from these stations as by the time they get to them,  they're usually packed. It is a bit hit/miss as to whether you'll find this the case, but after last year I'm going from Coventry to avoid doing with London Midland (due to travelling on my scooter).

I thought Bachmann had done away with the scrummage sale?

They did for Ally Pally, but apparently it is back for this year's Warley show, which is a shame.

Final item packed and ready for the weekend.

attachicon.gif20150110_214053.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

I know there's the cliché of BO at model railway exhibitions, but didn't think it'd gotten to full hazmat suit levels... although there have been a few occasions where I could have done with a gasmask, being low down on a scooter puts you closer to being subjected to armpits or swinging bags... so maybe a crash helment with gas mask is needed? ;)

Can't go this year and usually not bothered but it seems a good mix of layouts with plenty of announcements which may interest me. Hopefully I can count on my fellow members for plenty of photos?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mark

I usually take quite a few photos whenever I go. Usually end up on here and Flickr

Archived