Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but a huge congratulations to the Northern Counties team for brining the prize of best 4mm layout back to Northern Ireland. I am very pleased that a NI layout has been recognised and hopefully this will boost people's interest.

Layout : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63243-the-bleach-green-project/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2515900

Can anyone explain what the judging criteria is to win the best 4mm layout please??

Imagine doing it by public vote!

Other shows such as Nottingham use a voting slip system (which if filled in also provides useful marketing data*), in theory you could allow punters to vote via a website poll but I doubt the response rate would be higher and the organisers would want the closing time to be before the show finished in order to present the award to the winner.

*By which I mean customer feedback and not an opportunity to spam respondents at a later date.

Other shows such as Nottingham use a voting slip system (which if filled in also provides useful marketing data*), in theory you could allow punters to vote via a website poll but I doubt the response rate would be higher and the organisers would want the closing time to be before the show finished in order to present the award to the winner.

*By which I mean customer feedback and not an opportunity to spam respondents at a later date.

As a member of Warley club I am already too busy working behind the scenes over the weekend to see much of the show. The prospect of an additional task of counting thousands of votes does not appeal at all!

I dislike the whole idea - all the layouts are there on merit or they would not have been invited. Singling one or two out is offensive and unnecessary on my opinion. How on earth can you begin to compare such different things and say one is better than another?

​We are often given voting slips at shows but we just screw them up, we're not in the business of grading the efforts of our fellow exhibitors.

This isn't sour grapes, by the way, I've won plenty of awards over the years but I'll be perfectly content not to win any more.

​Peter

I dislike the whole idea - all the layouts are there on merit or they would not have been invited. Singling one or two out is offensive and unnecessary on my opinion. How on earth can you begin to compare such different things and say one is better than another?

​We are often given voting slips at shows but we just screw them up, we're not in the business of grading the efforts of our fellow exhibitors.

This isn't sour grapes, by the way, I've won plenty of awards over the years but I'll be perfectly content not to win any more.

​Peter

Warley club stopped having member's modelling competitions many years ago; the decision to do this is in line with Pete's thoughts on the subject. I must confess that until this thread came along I wasn't aware that there were trophies given out at the show. 

• RMweb Gold

Agreed I rather like that most shows don't do awards though I am rather fond of the NGSW chairmans cup I have, a mug with Chairmans Cup written on with a pen :) it's just a fun way of doing it.

I don't rate a layout any better for awards same as I don't like plaques all over the front it's so personal what you like and plenty pass my Continental layouts by because they aren't British, (and feel they need to comment loudly about it ;) )

plenty pass my Continental layouts by because they aren't British, (and feel they need to comment loudly about it ;) )

We didn't get any of that at Warley.  We reckoned that to get round all the layouts, a punter could only spend five minutes in front of each of them.  Plenty stayed much longer in front of Höchstädt, we must have been doing something right.  Well, we were running trains!

Bill

The only award I generally know about at Warley is the Best Signalled Layout awarded by the Signalling Record Society. I only generally know this because I tend to go to the show with Natalie so get told of how the judging went etc (a lot of walking and a lot of time observing many layouts, including foreign as some members are aware of correct foreign practice).

As for walking by foreign layouts, I can be guilty of skipping some of them if time is running short in preference to seeing some of the ones I'd identified before going to the show. However, this year a few stood out and drew my attention. They might not fall into my modelling interests, but they often can fall into my history interests (especially if set around WW1 or WW2).

• RMweb Premium

We didn't get any of that at Warley.  We reckoned that to get round all the layouts, a punter could only spend five minutes in front of each of them.  Plenty stayed much longer in front of Höchstädt, we must have been doing something right.  Well, we were running trains!

Bill

I was one of them. I even took a short bit of video.

Keith

Archived