Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

Hmm, having booked rail tickets I thought I buy an entry ticket for the exhibition in advance and on-line to save money. But the ticket price plus the 'booking fee' just made the price the same as paying on the day. As I'm not planning to get there early (it's a three hour train journey) I might just as well pay on the day. That way I can use cash, and won't have a ticket to loose or forget or even waste if I'm unable to make it or fail to get there.

G.

Experience tells me that this does not work well on Sunday.  When I tried it a couple of years ago the first train from HiA to International was 08.31, the booking office was shut and the permit to travel machine failed.  I will try my luck at International station car park.

Chris

Why not buy your ticket from HiA in advance at your local ticket office?

Why not buy your ticket from HiA in advance at your local ticket office?

Principally because I have concluded that it is a nonsense to do 95% of the journey by car and the rest by train just to save a few quid and surrender a great deal of flexibility.  To do what you suggest I would have to make a special journey to my local station and the round trip would take up to an hour.

Chris 

Principally because I have concluded that it is a nonsense to do 95% of the journey by car and the rest by train just to save a few quid and surrender a great deal of flexibility.  To do what you suggest I would have to make a special journey to my local station and the round trip would take up to an hour.

Chris 

I am loathe to suggest an online purchase for collection at HiA or similar!

I am clearly spoilt by being just 5 mins walk from the local station!

• RMweb Gold

Experience tells me that this does not work well on Sunday.  When I tried it a couple of years ago the first train from HiA to International was 08.31, the booking office was shut and the permit to travel machine failed.  I will try my luck at International station car park.

Chris

As Indeed  I have done for the last 3 years.The convenience of a short walk over the station to the storage of one 's car boot as necessary is the clincher for me.Besides which on a peak weekend prior to Christmas,rail travel will be uncomfortably challenging,especially if travelling via New Street....not for the fainthearted rucksack bearer to be realistic.If travelling from the North down the M42,exit at A446 Coleshill and follow a Google map route which you will find for yourself on line which takes you straight to the car park.Avoid the main NEC junction if possible on entry but unavoidable on exit.

Could anyone tell me what the catering is like for visitors to the show? 

There are several cafes in the NEC central concourse, and there is usually at least one cafe open within the hall used by Warley as well as a selection of takeaway stands. So finding something you like isn't usually too much of a problem. It does tend to be a bit more pricey than you'd pay on the high street, but not necessarily by a lot. As event catering goes, Warley is one of the better model railway exhibitions :)

What I'm looking forward to is seeing how many layout operators will have managed to come up with the necessary justification to run an APT-E or a WIckham Trolley! Bonus points if I see both of them on the same layout....

• RMweb Gold

... on a peak weekend prior to Christmas,rail travel will be uncomfortably challenging,especially if travelling via New Street....not for the fainthearted rucksack bearer to be realistic.

I don't know - trains to the NEC often seem to be crammed these days - but I've never had any real problems getting on.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with my shoes having steel toecaps.

What I'm looking forward to is seeing how many layout operators will have managed to come up with the necessary justification to run an APT-E or a WIckham Trolley! Bonus points if I see both of them on the same layout....

Easy - Rule 1 applies. There you go ... .

Huw.

Not on mine, mate.

Oh, don't encourage them ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Neither will be running on Oil Drum Lane

I will be going on Sunday. Although living in Kidderminster, I shall park up at Stourbridge Junction and get the train there. It's only a saving of £5.10 (using a Network Daytripper ticket) but there are more trains from Stourbridge into Brum on Sundays.

My shopping list is small, but with certain ideas in my head it still maybe expensive. 

Just received the email from the Warley people suggesting public transport as an option to paying the exorbitant car parking charge.  Here's the problem.  My approximate fuel cost for travel to the NEC works out at about £20.  It's 160 miles return and I have a nice economical car.  The cost of travel by rail is today quoted at £54.10 off-peak return and get the ten miles to the station and back at this end: not to mention leaving the house about an hour earlier in the morning!  Even allowing for wear and tear on the car, I can't make public transport a viable option!  Perhaps those who set the car park charges know what the market will stand only too well? 

Anyway, I am looking forward to the annual jaunt to the exhibition even if I haven't yet decided on Saturday or Sunday.

Oh, don't encourage them ...

Actually, a Wickham Trolley would probably be appropriate for a lot of layouts of the right era, even if all it does is sit in a siding at the back.

Justifying an APT-E might be harder, but given the number of layouts at Warley there's a fair chance that one of them is a big roundy-roundy set in the 1970s. If there is, and it doesn't feature an APT-E, I will be disappointed :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Just received the email from the Warley people suggesting public transport as an option to paying the exorbitant car parking charge.  Here's the problem.  My approximate fuel cost for travel to the NEC works out at about £20.  It's 160 miles return and I have a nice economical car.  The cost of travel by rail is today quoted at £54.10 off-peak return and get the ten miles to the station and back at this end: not to mention leaving the house about an hour earlier in the morning!  Even allowing for wear and tear on the car, I can't make public transport a viable option!  Perhaps those who set the car park charges know what the market will stand only too well? 

Anyway, I am looking forward to the annual jaunt to the exhibition even if I haven't yet decided on Saturday or Sunday.

Check if your tickets can break down if its a rail journey - I can save about £20 by doing so....

Archived