Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

Disappointed - no Comicon this year, hairy bikers just aren't the same.

I was disappointed when the Clothes Show Live stopped being on the same weekend. I never got to the railway bit. The only place I'd see as much totty (And as scantily clad) was the Big market on a Frida neet.

• RMweb Premium

This is the email sent out today:  - suggestion Number 3 is for those who may not want to pay the £12 parking fee (and it can help to avoid jams around the NEC at close time!

Parking and the Warley Show 

As always the parking at the NEC stokes up a number of people. 

The NEC charges for parking, none of us likes to pay for parking , so what are the options to reduce the costs? 

1. If possible travel by public transport. 
  2. If not possible then car share and split the costs - 4 in a car makes the parking charge not such a bitter pill. 
  3. Look at off-site parking. 

Comparison of charges etc 

1. NEC: £12 inclusive of regular shuttle buses to the front door of the NEC near Hall 5 
  2. International station: £9 plus a walk from the car park to Hall 5 
  3. Local railway stations: Marston Green or Hampton in Arden , free limited parking, regular trains, walk from International station to Hall 5, but 4 in a car nears the above charges. 
  4. Other local stations: further away from International.  Most have limited parking, but rail ticket prices increase as you move further away from International

However you get to the show have a great day!

Baz

Oh well, plenty of time to look at the trains

It used to be very busy for big shows (Warley rather small by comparison to some of the others to some extent) on the same November weekend.

Comicon was the weekend just gone, and don't think clothes show live runs anymore in November.

I used to go to Comicon on the Saturday and then Warley on the Sunday. Now they're on separate weekends I've not made it to Comicon for a while.

Parking charges at International must have gone up somewhat in the last three years then, unless my memory is worse than ever. A shame for some you've let the cat very prominently out of the bag about Hampton in Arden and Marston Green - those previously "in the know" will have a lot of competition for parking spaces now.

Can I suggest some tongue-in-cheek (or maybe not so tongue in cheek) signs at the entrance?

1. Unattended children will not necessarily be returned in good condition.

2. Stinkers will be scrubbed with a yard brush and Jeyes fluid.

3. Shovers and clumsy back-packers will be sent packing.

I just take Uncle Visa with me, no need for a pocket full of notes.

Doesn't the NEC have quite a slow mobile connection to the chip and pin devices though?

Oh well, plenty of time to look at the trains

BBC Good Good or engineering and construction recruitment any good? 

1. Local railway stations: Marston Green or Hampton in Arden , free limited parking, regular trains, walk from International station to Hall 5, but 4 in a car nears the above charges. 
  2. Other local stations: further away from International.  Most have limited parking, but rail ticket prices increase as you move further away from International

Yeah... But the NEC has limited parking too! Only 16,500 parking spaces. That's a limit.

It used to be very busy for big shows (Warley rather small by comparison to some of the others to some extent) on the same November weekend.

Comicon was the weekend just gone, and don't think clothes show live runs anymore in November.

I used to go to Comicon on the Saturday and then Warley on the Sunday. Now they're on separate weekends I've not made it to Comicon for a while.

I remember the sight of Darth Vader and a couple of Stormtroopers stood on Dudley & Tipton station a couple of years back waiting for a local service, made me chuckle.

• RMweb Premium

Panic! I couldn't find my train tickets which I have purchased more than a month ago. Was looking all over the place including under the bed inside the wardrobe in all kind of drawers...

Panic over - I found them in the safe... :smile_mini2: 

Now you can see this show has some value for me. and as I go with a friend the pre-ordered entrance tickets do have an advantage for me ( 1.50£ less for 2)

Will arrive at 9:28 - this is a short giveaway of time but last year I was standing in the crowd waiting for the show to open.... Hopefully I can save that this time..

Vecchio

Doesn't the NEC have quite a slow mobile connection to the chip and pin devices though?

BBC Good Good or engineering and construction recruitment any good? 

Yeah... But the NEC has limited parking too! Only 16,500 parking spaces. That's a limit.

I think Warley will be delighted if they fill all of those! Might make it a bit crowded though

Putting something in a safe place is a recipe for never finding it again in my experience!

Phil

Yep a set of bolts for an Ikea cupboard which i couldn't find when I needed them, luckily Ikea sent me replacements then about a month ago whilst sorting through my N gauge stuff whilst packing it up there I found the bolts in the 'safe place' I had left them.

• RMweb Premium

Putting something in a safe place is a recipe for never finding it again in my experience!

Phil

In my experience I never have any problem finding something I have put in a safe place.

It is when SWMBO puts it in a safe place it is never seen again.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

don't forget there are other shows at the same time - the motorbike one has for sure more visitors than the railway one...

ok, if they come on 2 wheels parking is not the problem :) 

For me it is the train, a) I have only one hour to go up there and b) it limits the amount of stuff I can purchase.... :lol:

And for 16£ return on the train  the car (especially parking) is more expensive.

• RMweb Premium

In my experience I never have any problem finding something I have put in a safe place.

It is when SWMBO puts it in a safe place it is never seen again.  :scratchhead:

SWMBO or called the general manager was even helping me searching. Probably she wants a quiet day....

Have done the trip by car but now living a bit further away, tend to use the train.

Cost of just shy of £70 return including London transfers and can sleep / watch the scenery / indulge myself a beer en route! 160 miles each way by car and creamed on arrival!

(160 miles each way at 50p per mile = £160 + £12 car park. Train return £70.00. Saving = £100 + hassle)

I shall be there on both days 

ON Sunday I shall be floating around like a spear idiot at a wedding, so I am available to assists to operate any layouts if there are any that are short handed.

Please PM me.

Regards

Terry.

Don't think they'll let you in with a spear, let alone let you float around with it...

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the ATMs have been stocked appropriately yet... ;)

Always seem to have long queues...

You could always extract some cash in advance and take it with you.

Anything you don't spend could of course be paid back into your account

That's what we all did before ATMs

You could always extract some cash in advance and take it with you.

Anything you don't spend could of course be paid back into your account

That's what we all did before ATMs

I always find it amusing how some people arrive at an event where they already knew they will likely spend a fair bit of cash, suddenly realise they need cash, then waste time seeking out a cash machine.

Having said that, my elderly dad used to use his bank card to get extra cash outside Tesco only then to spend just about all of it on the shopping inside, then find he needed to go back to the machine a day or so later for more cash. I had a hard time explaining to him that it was a bit daft doing that, when he could just pay for the Tesco shopping with his bank card...

Just received the email from the Warley people suggesting public transport as an option to paying the exorbitant car parking charge.

...Perhaps those who set the car park charges know what the market will stand only too well?

I'm surprised that an organization that ought to be in cohorts with the Capitalist management would suggest that, next they'll be suggesting you bring your own torch in order to see everything.

Does £3 per person sound better if you take a car full of people? They'll probably tell you that it's a bargain when compared to other nearby parking options, such as the Valet option at the nearby Airport, even if the latter doesn't involve standing in the rain for half an hour whilst waiting for the shuttle bus.

I'm surprised that an organization that ought to be in cohorts with the Capitalist management would suggest that, next they'll be suggesting you bring your own torch in order to see everything.

Does £3 per person sound better if you take a car full of people? They'll probably tell you that it's a bargain when compared to other nearby parking options, such as the Valet option at the nearby Airport, even if the latter doesn't involve standing in the rain for half an hour whilst waiting for the shuttle bus.

Unlike some of the other big shows Warley NEC show is put on by a model railway club for a model railway club. I recall 25 years or so ago when around half a dozen club members, including me, agreed to make the gigantic step of moving our exhibition to the NEC; it was quite scary at the time but it worked. One of the most important drivers for moving to the NEC was to put on a great showcase for our wonderful hobby. It was, and still is, fantastic to be involved. The show is only successful and only keeps going because the club members, and members of other local clubs, give their time for free. We don't discuss politics at the club but I can think of a number of my fellow members would be aghast at the thought of us being in cohorts with capitalists!

• RMweb Premium

I think we should enjoy the show instead of moaning - there have been several possibilities described how to get there and where to park. So I think parking is not an issue.

And - this is one of the few shows where you can even arrive by airplane! :D

Let's be positive and look forward to it!

(after writing this I expect of course a reduced ticket price next year... :sarcastic: :laugh: )

Vecchio

Archived