Warley NEC Exhibition November 26th and 27th 2016

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Quite, an important milestone with lots on display. Will be well worth a visit.

The trouble with some of the smaller stations, is that whilst the car parks are free, they fill up fast at certain times as many people have cottoned onto the free stations and all have the same idea. The other problem is getting onto the actual train from these stations as by the time they get to them,  they're usually packed. It is a bit hit/miss as to whether you'll find this the case, but after last year I'm going from Coventry to avoid doing with London Midland (due to travelling on my scooter).

Don't even think about trying to get on a Voyager that's come up from Poole - it'll be rammed. The one that gets to International about 10.30 is normally full and standing off Reading. 

I've usually been lucky enough to have a seat from Basingstoke (!) but the required technique is to start fighting ones way to a door upon leaving Coventry to avoid being overcarried from International. When travelling solo, I also make a point of not drinking anything en-route! 

I'm still anticipating going this year but my enthusiasm for facing the joys of Cross Country (even with a free pass) is waning by the hour........

John

I usually take quite a few photos whenever I go. Usually end up on here and Flickr

Last time I went, which was a long time ago, there was a notice about asking permission before taking pictures. I waited for ages trying to attract a layout operator's attention to ask to take a picture and when I asked he seemed surprised that I had bothered to ask him. Anyone is welcome to take pictures of my layout whether they ask or not although it will not be at Warley.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely no problem with people wishing to take photos other than warning an operator if using flash.

Thanks for that, Mike.

As for taking photos, these days, I'd imagine a lot of people would be likely to be using tablets or "smart" phones. I certainly wouldn't even consider carrying my old 35mm SLR gear all the way up to Birmingham on the coach.

That aside, I hope I get chance to catch up with you on Sunday - in fact, I hope I get chance to catch up with as many people I know as possible (RMweb members or otherwise).

I'd also like to take this chance to wish all exhibitors (layouts, demonstrators and trade) all the best for the weekend.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Just looked into the link for the Austrian Railway Group on the Warley pages and I am a bit puzzled about the link they have put in there -

brought me to some page written in Chinese...

Minimum when I  grew up in this country we were using the Latin alphabet..... :mellow: :scratchhead:

If one of the Warley guy reads this - take out the link or correct it. The correct one is http://www.austrianrailwaygroup.co.uk

Vecchio

And to avoid any well meant messages :nono:  to tell Vecchio what to do - I have of course e-mailed them direct as well.

Just looked into the link for the Austrian Railway Group on the Warley pages and I am a bit puzzled about the link they have put in there -

brought me to some page written in Chinese...

Minimum when I  grew up in this country we were using the Latin alphabet..... :mellow: :scratchhead:

If one of the Warley guy reads this - take out the link or correct it. The correct one is http://www.austrianrailwaygroup.co.uk

Vecchio

And to avoid any well meant messages :nono:  to tell Vecchio what to do - I have of course e-mailed them direct as well.

All seems fine at this end.

• RMweb Premium

All seems fine at this end.

Andy,

thanks for the quick reply

the link I get when I click on the ARG on your society page is  http://www.austrian-railways.org/

and this link gives me a Chinese page.

probably I have an anti Austria virus on my laptop as I have left this country 17 years ago...

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Sorry; I'd misunderstood. That link looks like it's for an expired domain.

Can you give me a link to the RMweb page where you found it and I'll amend it.

Andy,

RMWEB is fine - the wrong link is direct on the official web page of the Warley show. I have sent them an e-mail to the contact address they have provided (which will probably be read after the show :-) ).

So I do not think you have to do anything.

In any case - thanks - I really feel looked after by RMWEB after your quick replies !

Vecchio

Last time I went, which was a long time ago, there was a notice about asking permission before taking pictures. I waited for ages trying to attract a layout operator's attention to ask to take a picture and when I asked he seemed surprised that I had bothered to ask him. Anyone is welcome to take pictures of my layout whether they ask or not although it will not be at Warley.

Photography can be a bit of a touchy subject, and not always for rational reasons. Some layout operators don't like to have their work photographed at all, which to be honest I think is a bit daft - you're putting it on display for the public to view, and if they want to take photos of it that's up to them. Expecting people to ask permission to take photographs is, in my opinion, unrealistic.

But, on the other hand, some photographers don't exactly do themselves a favour with their attitude. It's less common in the model railway community than the full-size trainspotter world, fortunately, but there is still a hardcore minority of self-centred photographers who believe that their right to take photos is more important than anyone else's right to simply view the layout. It may be that these are the ones which foster a "no photos without permission" attitude in return among some operators.

As a photographer myself (and I'll try to post some of my shots from Warley after I get home), I try to follow a few simple rules:

1. Wait your turn to get close to the layout, just like everyone else.

2. Don't hog a prime viewing spot once you've got there. 

3. Don't use flash.

4. Don't reach over the layout to take a shot. Apart from the fact that your arm (and camera) will be in everyone else's sight-lines, the risk of damage if you drop the camera or snag something with a dangling strap (or your sleeve) is too great.

5. If you use a tripod (and, generally, I don't, unless I know from previous experience that the show is spacious enough for it not to be a problem), make sure that it doesn't get in the way of other people - both when in use and when you're carrying it around!

• RMweb Premium

I know there's the cliché of BO at model railway exhibitions, but didn't think it'd gotten to full hazmat suit levels... although there have been a few occasions where I could have done with a gasmask, being low down on a scooter puts you closer to being subjected to armpits or swinging bags... so maybe a crash helment with gas mask is needed? ;)

You're a bit close to botty burping IMHO :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

My strategic plan for Warley is now in place.

post-20773-0-26141600-1480077166_thumb.jpg
Debrief is below.

Attack plan:
The elephant will go undercover amongst with the Rudolphs.
He will pass the Pharaohs undetected.
Take a submarine, under the sheep, passing thru the sale wall.
Make a distraction, point to the Grange.
Enter the Bach cave, make the sale, load the truck.
Exit strategy will be a team of elephants pulling santas sleigh full of goodies.

Covering fire will be:
: Jeremy clarkson with tanks to the north
: Mary Poppins with grasshoppers, dogs and aliens to the south.
: Logistic supply available in the north.

What could possibly go wrong ?

This year, a proportion of the Warley show has been dedicated to the Society to help it celebrates our 40th anniversary so that we will have a  particularly strong presence this year with a number of high class layouts such as Birmingham Moor St shown below.   

post-7769-0-82506500-1480081614.jpg

Furthermore, as part of this the Scalefour Society will be releasing a new product on their stand for the benefit of their members and non-members alike.  Why not come and find us in the hall (broadly in the middle, a bit to the rear of centre) to see these great layouts and find out about this new product?

Photography can be a bit of a touchy subject, and not always for rational reasons. Some layout operators don't like to have their work photographed at all, which to be honest I think is a bit daft - you're putting it on display for the public to view, and if they want to take photos of it that's up to them. Expecting people to ask permission to take photographs is, in my opinion, unrealistic.

But, on the other hand, some photographers don't exactly do themselves a favour with their attitude. It's less common in the model railway community than the full-size trainspotter world, fortunately, but there is still a hardcore minority of self-centred photographers who believe that their right to take photos is more important than anyone else's right to simply view the layout. It may be that these are the ones which foster a "no photos without permission" attitude in return among some operators.

As a photographer myself (and I'll try to post some of my shots from Warley after I get home), I try to follow a few simple rules:

1. Wait your turn to get close to the layout, just like everyone else.

2. Don't hog a prime viewing spot once you've got there. 

3. Don't use flash.

4. Don't reach over the layout to take a shot. Apart from the fact that your arm (and camera) will be in everyone else's sight-lines, the risk of damage if you drop the camera or snag something with a dangling strap (or your sleeve) is too great.

5. If you use a tripod (and, generally, I don't, unless I know from previous experience that the show is spacious enough for it not to be a problem), make sure that it doesn't get in the way of other people - both when in use and when you're carrying it around!

I generally wait until later in the day to take photos when it has thinned out a bit to avoid this problem. It is also sadly true that until such times I just can;t get near the majority of layouts or stands. Should get plenty of time though as I'm there both days this year, though one of them on the DEMU stand which will keep me busy for the day.

You're a bit close to botty burping IMHO :jester:

Keith

Don't remind me! I keep wondering about attaching a canary candle on the scooter...

Yummy! - https://vimeo.com/60998555

The NEC group's catering division, Amadeus, this month launched a new restaurant in Hall 5 of the NEC, Birmingham. The restaurant, called the Oak Kitchen, harks back to the cosy and familiar days of locally sourced food and home cooking. This film was screened at the restaurant's official opening, and Amadeus hopes to roll out the concept to its other venues.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

thanks for the quick reply

the link I get when I click on the ARG on your society page is  http://www.austrian-railways.org/

and this link gives me a Chinese page.

probably I have an anti Austria virus on my laptop as I have left this country 17 years ago...

Vecchio

Just for your information it's not Chinese, its Japanese.

Keith

I'm not sure about that chimney  :jester:  :jester:  :angel:

I dunno, maybe It'll tarnish with a bit of use...

And several bits seem to have fallen off in the box ;)

It's known as a part-finished kit, and some of the bits have already been robbed from the box to complete other projects. The missing bits aren't available from the original makers anymore, and the factory has long been demolished. ;)

I have now arrived at my hotel in Birmingham. I'm looking forward to the show. only problem I have hit so far is only 1 plug to charge 2 camcorders, 1 laptop and a phone lucky I have a 4 way extension lead  for charging.

I think I will get a late night tonight so I am ready for the show I hope that i get to the NEC nice and early.

Richard 

Archived