Fireless Loco(s) at Huncoat Power Station near Burnley, Lancashire

G'day all,

I wonder If anyone knows of any published information on the Fireless Loco or Locos used at the Huncoat Power Station, near Burnley, Lancs. aka Padiham 'B' Power Station ?

Last time I googled Huncoat Power Station I got some photos, but they don't seem to be coming up now - ???

The photos I got up showed what looked like an 0-4-0 and a larger 0-6-0 in bright Yellow livery in the mid-1960's. To me the locos had a very 'continental' look . but at the time I was looking for justification to add a LILIPUT HO 0-4-0 Fireless Loco to my industrial loco collection ~ so my imagination might have been working overtime :nono:

In any case, most Fireless locos, wether on the continent or in the UK seem to have an exotic, foreign appearence, particulary when in yellow livery :scratchhead:

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Frank Savery,

w-a-y down south in Tasmania

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Oakwood Press published a 94 page book on 'Fireless Locomotives' by Allan Baker and Allen Civil in 1976. It is Locomotion Papers No.97. I can't find an ISBN number so it may pre-date the system.

The book includes chapters on each of the builders plus lists of the locos built by Andrew Barclay, Hawthorn Leslie/RSH and Bagnall's. There are also nine drawings of various examples including Huncoat No.3.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

There is a good article on the whole Huncoat system in Railway Bylines Volume 12 p372 in 2006. I went to the power station several times but the colliery section had closed by the time of my first visit. The Padiham power station was a completely separate entity way down the valley whereas Huncoat was on the hillside next to the Preston to Burnley line.

Besides the power station there was Huncoat Colliery with Manning Wardle, Grant Ritchie and Hawthorn Leslie locos and two old Barclays at the two brickworks nearby. Down in the valley there was also Altham Coke Works which the colliery supplied a loco to and which had its own shed. Add into this coal coming in by barge and coal coming across the valley from Calder Colliery by an aerial flight and you had quite a setup.

• 2 weeks later...

As I live in Huncoat, the railway system that connected the power station(well actually on other side of mainline), the colliery and brick yards is of interest to me.

I was recommended the Bylines article which I now have, but there is a lot of history and info not published yet I suspect. There were also what I think were two narrow gauge lines connecting brickworks to quarries. Both are marked as 'tramways' on map, and one was replaced by an arial ropeway, and became a well-known local sight.

Overall it was a very extensive system, the power station in effect being just tagged onto the existing railway.

Just realised, I probably drove over part of the exchange sidings today, as the M65 motorway cuts across the old power station tracks.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

If you drive down the Irlam bypass (A57)  after you pass under the tunnel under the former partington line you will find the former fireless shunting loco from irlam gas works on display may be of interest to you 

It is actually the only fireless Peckett's ever made and it worked at the CWS soap works in Irlam.  There is also a 4 coupled Barclay fireless (from Heysham IIRC) in the museum building at Ribble Steam Railway.

Ray.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

" 'Fireless Locomotives' by Allan Baker and Allen Civil in 1976. It is Locomotion Papers No.97. I can't find an ISBN number"

ISBN = 0 85361 193 9

David

Although I first visited Huncoat Colliery in 1964 - just missing the two Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0STs that were scrapped earlier that year - for some reason I didn't visit the power station just across the road until 1968.  That would have been on a Saturday so the three fireless locos were out of use in the loco shed.

The two Bagnall locos HUNCOAT Nos. 1 & 2 with the front end of HUNCOAT No.3 just visible at the end of the right hand road.  Presumably the original loco shed accommodating just two locos had been extended on the right hand road after the arrival of HUNCOAT No.3 in 1958.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...

Although I first visited Huncoat Colliery in 1964 - just missing the two Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0STs that were scrapped earlier that year - for some reason I didn't visit the power station just across the road until 1968.  That would have been on a Saturday so the three fireless locos were out of use in the loco shed.

attachicon.gif97030B.jpg

The two Bagnall locos HUNCOAT Nos. 1 & 2 with the front end of HUNCOAT No.3 just visible at the end of the right hand road.  Presumably the original loco shed accommodating just two locos had been extended on the right hand road after the arrival of HUNCOAT No.3 in 1958.

attachicon.gif97029B.jpg

I've just now found this post. The things you do on your holidays waiting for a Hatton's order!!!!

This photo has given me some ideas for a 'modern' engine shed for my 'Manchester Steel' servicing depot.

Being familiar with the prototype at Tanfield, I've got a decent idea of the scale of the building.

Thanks,

Chris.

I'd like to get hold of an Impetus Fireless loco kit.

At a reasonable price.

OOOH, look up there!!  A pink animal with a curly tail flying past.  Whatever next........................... :O :no:

I'd like to get hold of an Impetus Fireless loco kit.

........................ :O :no:

You could always try Adrian Swain to see if he'll sell you an ABS/Zero Zephyrs (ex Underhill) one.  I know he's been ill and not attending exhibitions but it might be worth a phone call.

Ray.

You could always try Adrian Swain to see if he'll sell you an ABS/Zero Zephyrs (ex Underhill) one.  I know he's been ill and not attending exhibitions but it might be worth a phone call.

Ray.

Aren't they 7mm though?  I'm in 4mm.

I've just now found this post. The things you do on your holidays waiting for a Hatton's order!!!!

This photo has given me some ideas for a 'modern' engine shed for my 'Manchester Steel' servicing depot.

Being familiar with the prototype at Tanfield, I've got a decent idea of the scale of the building.

Thanks,

Chris.

just count the bricks. They do look like a mixture, and as it is not in colour I can't be sure what type. NORI might have been used for part, but these don't look that good. I am not going to go digging, knowing what was buried when they demolished the power station.

just count the bricks. They do look like a mixture, and as it is not in colour I can't be sure what type. NORI might have been used for part, but these don't look that good. I am not going to go digging, knowing what was buried when they demolished the power station.

Already on it my friend. Going cross eyed as I do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just come back to this thread.

Is there a steam feed in this shed to charge the locomotives at the start of a shift? Otherwise how do they get out ?

Yes there was a steam feed with flexible connections so that locos could be charged on either shed road.

They once had done repairs to a loco's reservoir and had to drain it off. When charged with steam and having no water in it only lasted an hour.

There is some video of the last day the connection to the colliery was used on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRf55H0PLzM

• Like 2

Yes there was a steam feed with flexible connections so that locos could be charged on either shed road.

They once had done repairs to a loco's reservoir and had to drain it off. When charged with steam and having no water in it only lasted an hour.

There is some video of the last day the connection to the colliery was used on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRf55H0PLzM

Interesting video.  I particularly like the cover over the RSH's slidebars, I wonder why it was fitted?  I know the L&Y Pugs were so fitted but they tended to run on docks and road sides etc.  The fireless locos don't seem to have one fitted and they have a far more complicated set of rods.  I might think about fitting them to my RSH to provide a talking point.