1920's / 1930's trams in N gauge?

Black Sheep

I figured this would be the place to ask, 

I'm wanting to have trams on my n gauge layout and I'd like them to make their way along the prom under their own power. 

Can anyone tell me what my options are for trams in N gauge, is it a case of butchering Oxford die cast and something for the chassis?

I'd love a balloon tram and perhaps a single decker. 

Thanks

Fitting a chassis into the Oxford model will be a challenge. It is very narrow between the truck sides and even the small Japanese mechanisms are mostly too wide.

There are a few other options.

Tom Williamson has done resin Blackpool Balloon and Brush cars in N. See his 'Thornton Gate' layout thread.

There is the Matchbox / Typhoo and (assorted copies) diecast tram which is a little oversize for N but is a reasonable representation of a London CC E1.

There have also been several whitemetal kits of varying degrees of quality and accuracy. Most use the old-style Farish DMU motor bogie.

Bit later, 1950s Blackpool Coronation, these are big cars being 50ft x 8ft wide so a bit easier to motorise than some.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90650-n-gauge-grimsby-and-immingham-prints/?hl=%2Bcoronation+%2Btram

My layout is set in the last days of the LMS (1948 or earlier) so unfortunately the Coronation is a bit too new but will have a gander at the links,

thanks

Archived