Opening Times

Saturday 10am-5pm Sunday 10am-4.30pm

Admission Prices

Adult £5.00 Senior Citizens £4.50

Junior £3.50 Under 5yrs free

Family 2+2 £14.00

Over 30 Layouts, 25 National and local traders

Modelling Demos

'spect I will be in there somewhere.....

So many things to do, so little time - don't let me hear anyone say being retired gives you plenty of spare time, I seem to have had more time to myself when I had a full time job.....

Penlan

PS - I wonder why 'Penlan', which resides close to Lands End, can only be seen at Exhibitions at least 250 miles away? :(

Coming up - Bracknell, Warley NEC, Melksham, Wigan and can't remember the others......

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see Long Preston is shown on the plan, It's last but one appearance on the circuit before being retired and dismantled. The team are ready, those that are still able to travel and we are looking forward to a bit of Cornish hospitality. It's the furthest we've ever taken the monster but it should be worth it. Just watch out for strange things with pantographs and big black beasts that might lurk in the fiddle yard. It will be nice to take a bit of Midland down to Great Western territory.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few piccys from today's visit to the show. First up is Long Preston. This really is a BIG layout, lots of bright red engines (which the roped-in-to-help Bodmin lads seemed a bit unsure of...) and some impressive trackwork, especially the mixed gauge.

post-7025-12691212264_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912123638_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912124827_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912125928_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912127352_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912128432_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912129585_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Next is Osney Town - 9 ft of exquisite O gauge modelling. The track plan is quite simple - just the one line into platform, but with added sound this really captures the eye and ear.

post-7025-126912247046_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912248749_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912249581_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912250621_thumb.jpg

post-7025-126912251645_thumb.jpg

A good show - I was there Saturday, saw most people I know down here, but missed Stubby47... see you at the SWAG do in April (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/63-taunton-members-day-april-2010-line-up-announced/page__pid__106501__st__25entry106501 ) What a great line-up the Captains put together, but no DRAG test track listed.. :(

A bit of touting and got Penlan - the layout - details in for the 2012 'The West of England .....' show, confirmed Wakefield in 2011 and probably a small foray (and positively the last outing) for Penlan in Truro in 2013 (Penlan? see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1432-penlan-lnwr-in-south-wales-1910-em-gauge/ ) - The layout's now fully booked.

Re. 0 Gauge, If the modelling's good+, does it matter what scale it is, and as a pre-groupie, all that L&Y stock on Long Preston, almost heaven (would have been if there had been some LNWR - a distant view of a Furness Rly coach fooled me for a micro-second)), the L&Y Parliamentary stock was a particular plus - that's about 0.1% of this Forum's interest.... :rolleyes:

I take the long view (being an Oldie) swings and roundabouts, over a few years most, if not all, of our interest(s) will be shown... good+ modelling is the base line for any year.

Many thanks for a great show, and only 25 miles away from home too....

Penlan

Mixed.

On the plus side were a few layouts that looked good, were well presented, and operated well (30 de Septeimbre and Osney Town topping my list)

Long Preston seemed to be plagued by errors and derailments - not to mention the sight of something big, black and American in the sidings, and audible disagreements between panels. But the "accessible" fiddle yard and "up in the sky" roundhouse were a refreshing change. And as much as I like the look and feel of Porth St John - the dunes around the goods yard were wonderfully done - the U-boat conning towers and pink dragons do so much to drag it down. If this type of nonsense is for the kids, then there's a plethora of "roundy-roundy" layouts they can be entertained with.

My biggest gripe has to be to the lack of route directions. I came from Plymouth. I gather that the local council had taken down the direction signs put up by the organisers some time in the early hours. This is the second time that an exhibition I have attended suffered from this (Matford being the last). Is there anyway that this board could be used to clarify the necessary steps (planning permissions etc.) required for event managers to ensure that non-locals can find the show they so dearly want us to attend?

Cheers

Jan

...On the plus side were a few layouts that looked good, were well presented, and operated well (30 de Septeimbre and .......

Had the 'Chile' operators removed their beret's by the time you saw them then? The Chilean layout theme was an interesting one though.

I came by local bus from Penzance (because I can't drive due to my right arm being in plaster :( ..), but would agree if the direction signs for motorist had been removed, that wouldn't help. If I'm going somewhere I'm not sure of, I always download a map (Google, Multimap etc.) Clever Clogs.

Cowsbridge interested me, because given the number of sidings, there was no run-round facility on the scenic part, thus I saw a Dean Goods hard against the buffers in the cattle dock siding with cattle trucks, presumably, waiting to be unloaded for ages. It stated on the info the track plan was based on the TVR's Cowbridge, but I don't have access to that track plan (I think there's one in a early BRJ).

Penlan

GWRMan,

Thanks for those two photo's of the Chilian Sugar beat layout, it hit the buttons for me, as in (I presume) well researched, a different railway and good detail.

A bit like Shirley Rowe's layout of many years ago, somewhere in Spain if I recall correctly.

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to say how much the Long Preston crew enjoyed going to the show (Further than any other Wakefield club layout has travelled before we think). Many thanks to the Bodmin crew who helped us over the weekend and had to learn a complicated layout with ;foreign' stock. We even had top provide interpreters at times (Ey up apparently translates to Oy in Cornwall). The show was fun and a lot of nice comments were made. One visitor said it was nice to see red engines for a change. The plough train which was only letterred on Thursday afternoon before we set off attracted a lot of interest. ( I'll try and post a photo later.)

Considering the layout ad not been out of the shed over a very cold winter it ran better than expected. A big thank ou to the redruth club for inviting us. We finally got the layout put away at about 3.00pm yesterday. I've just got to get the stock sorted out and off the dining room table before my wife gets out of hospital.

It was nice to meet some RM Webbers.

Jamie

Archived