The West of England Model Railway Exhibition 2010

gwrman

• RMweb Premium

Three pictures of Long Preston at Redruth

post-6824-126946696623_thumb.jpg

The local passenger train stoppin g at the station. One of the Bodmin crew looking over. Furness and Midland Stock.

post-6824-126946699706_thumb.jpg

The Hellifield Ploughs on their way back home after a summer test run. The transfers were only delivered and fitted on the Thursday lunchtime before we set off. The ploughs and tool van were scratch built by Ray Clasper who also made most of the narrow gauge stock, and the locos are much modified Lima 4F's fited with batteries and pick ups so we can contu nue to run in the event of power problems.

post-6824-126946697933_thumb.jpg

The strange beasts that kept the youngsters amused all weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie, glad you enjoyed our Cornish hospitality, is was a good weekend and I think you'll join me in thanking the Bodmin lads for helping you out over the weekend.

Nigel.Redruth mrc

Yes I would echo that. Without their help wqe could not have managed. They not only helped with the operating but with the packin g up and loading and we managed a quick drink together on the way home. We also managed to exchange various ideas on design and construction.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

As a local (15 miles away) I too found it frustrating that the direction signs were missing, but there was free parking which was good, praise should be heaped on all those involved with the organisation and running of the event. It was the best show I have been to in Cornwall for a while.

I believe the forthcoming Kernow MRC/YMR event will be held there in September, I hope that they have more than one hall for that event as it is reportedly going to be a much bigger event and would need double the floor space if they are to accomodate more manufacturers/ trade/layouts/media etc. Well done to all a cracking day out!

Thank you, thats much appreciated. As for road signage we've only done the last few years due to the council's road works at that time of year, also the AA are only allowed to put signs where the council say and how many, so we're restricted. As for the Kernow show, they are having the same double hall we do, its the biggest venue in our area.

Nigelcool.gif

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to it, will be picking up my Beattie Well tank as it is being relased in time for the show, It is a shame there is no bigger venue available, I am not complaining it is just that WoE was pretty full and I envisage a bit of a jam if you cram much more in!

Next is Deviot Dock. This is a nice compact layout....

post-7025-126912169472_thumb.jpg

Stu,

Looks to have been a pretty good show....

I particularly like that last view of Deviot Dock!

The bridge, set at such a steep angle, is a fabulous model,

it reminds me of the bridge at Gloucester Racecourse,

on the Gloucester & Warwickshire (except that one doesn't have a railway line going over the top).

Do you know what materials they used to build it?

Wills stone sheets maybe? Or something else?

Marc

Edit, looks like it may be slaters?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

wdouglas of this parish is the son of Deviot Dock's owner - hopefully he can shed some light on this ? But having done an extreme close up on my original photo, I think it's Slaters - and if I had to pick a sheet I'd go for 0424 Dressed Stone.

post-7025-126987577941_thumb.jpg

HTH

Stu

Hi Marc,

wdouglas of this parish is the son of Deviot Dock's owner - hopefully he can shed some light on this ? But having done an extreme close up on my original photo, I think it's Slaters - and if I had to pick a sheet I'd go for 0424 Dressed Stone.

HTH

Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, I think it is dressed stone.

They've done a really good job with the edging stones, and I particularly like the yellow and black painted stones,

on the arch over the road. The very steep angle of the bridge looks great - please pass on my congrats to wdouglas..

....one of the best bridge models I've seen - cracking looking layout too :D

Cheers again,

Marc

Hi Marc,

post-7025-126987577941_thumb.jpg

HTH

Stu

As father of wdouglas of this parish I hope Ican be of assistance.In response to your query as to the plasticard sheets used I can confirm that they were Slaters but I am not sure what the ref was as they were loose in the stand & I sorted through the selection until I found the finish I was looking for.From memory the coping stones were 'O'gauge cut in to strips as were the stones over the arches,but these were individually cut & stuck & then painted.Thanks for posting those great pictures & for all your positive comments;if I find out what the ref on the sheets is I ll respond again.Treggyman

Archived