"Superglue" setting time

I have 2 bottles of"superglue" Zap CA Thin and Zap a Gap.

According to the instructions the first should "set" within 10-15 seconds and the second within 15-20 seconds.

They both seen to take minutes rather than second to go off.

I use only a small amount, either squeeze a drop onto a piece of glass and then dip the piece needing sticking , or using a piece of wire to put a small drop where needed.

Have I got duff bottles, or am I doing something wrong?

I've found they take longer, sometimes. Breathing on it helps speed it up (it reacts to the moisture, which is why it sticks to your skin so well) Also a water mister might help. I also have a bottle of Zip Kicker in the ZAp glue range) which does the job.

I have a spray can of accelerator which works well with difficult materials. It's the sort of stuff double glazing fitters use when they are fitting the PVC trim around windows and doors. Bought it from a model railway show last year. Can leave a white mark but it rubs off easily.

I have 2 bottles of"superglue" Zap CA Thin and Zap a Gap.

According to the instructions the first should "set" within 10-15 seconds and the second within 15-20 seconds.

They both seen to take minutes rather than second to go off.

I use only a small amount, either squeeze a drop onto a piece of glass and then dip the piece needing sticking , or using a piece of wire to put a small drop where needed.

Have I got duff bottles, or am I doing something wrong?

No, I use those products regularly.

I give them at least 5 minutes to bond properly.

It does depend on what you are trying to stick, but I find that once the bond happens the result is excellent.

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the above, if superglue needs moisture to set, is it worth damping the surfaces before applying the glue?

I also find that the longer the tube has been openned, the longer it takes to set.

• RMweb Premium

Its also worth remebering that

No, I use those products regularly.

It does depend on what you are trying to stick, but I find that once the bond happens the result is excellent.

They need longer than that to attain full strength - more like a full 12 hours. This is why people can get issues with 'fogging' or fingerprints appearing if glued items are not kept well ventilated for several hours after the initial application is seen to have 'set'

• RMweb Premium

They need longer than that to attain full strength - more like a full 12 hours. This is why people can get issues with 'fogging' or fingerprints appearing if glued items are not kept well ventilated for several hours after the initial application is seen to have 'set'

Archived