dcc

zedcell

Hi all

Have been doing  a bit of research on decoders that support asymmetric control, and have read reviews on some of the decoders that support this function and from most of the reviews i have read zimo seem to be the way to go.

Although i do know ESU V4 also support this function, has anyone had any experience with zimo or especially the ezu decoders for this function, would be interested in your thoughts on this subject.

Zimo - works well, allows different braking behaviour for ABC triggered stops from throttle triggered stops.  Works in any Zimo decoder sold in the last seven or eight years.

ESU - not tried, but appears to be similar settings to Zimo.  Available in any "V4" decoder, both "loksound" and "locpilot" ranges. 

CT - works fine, similar to Zimo implementation.  On small Sound decoders from SL75, and I think non-sound small decoders from DCX76 onwards.  Not sure about the mid-sized or larger decoders. 

Lenz - first major player with the feature, but constant braking distance control is horribly messed up.  So, stops look terrible as train attempts to inch up to the actual stop position.  Only advantage is that Lenz add an "auto-shuttle" feature, plus a "slow approach" setting as well as the stop, features which most others don't offer.   Shuttle may be useful for a DMU or tram, and can be used without the constant braking distance feature (when it works much better....)

Umelec - As DutchMaster says, inventors of this stuff, but almost unheard of outside a few German speaking bits of Europe.

- Nigel

I suggest you read the manuals of the decoders as asymmetric braking  is implemented  differently in  each manufactures decoder.  Yes Ive used Lenz and Zimo and would recommend Zimo over Lenz as its a better worked out A-DCC system of braking 

Yes i have read the manuals and done some research, i would rather here the pros & cons of people who have had some experience with these as against manufactures claims who in my experience tend to exaggerate take the latest scams in the car market ie VW  to name just one,  

Zimo - works well, allows different braking behaviour for ABC triggered stops from throttle triggered stops.  Works in any Zimo decoder sold in the last seven or eight years.

ESU - not tried, but appears to be similar settings to Zimo.  Available in any "V4" decoder, both "loksound" and "locpilot" ranges. 

CT - works fine, similar to Zimo implementation.  On small Sound decoders from SL75, and I think non-sound small decoders from DCX76 onwards.  Not sure about the mid-sized or larger decoders. 

Lenz - first major player with the feature, but constant braking distance control is horribly messed up.  So, stops look terrible as train attempts to inch up to the actual stop position.  Only advantage is that Lenz add an "auto-shuttle" feature, plus a "slow approach" setting as well as the stop, features which most others don't offer.   Shuttle may be useful for a DMU or tram, and can be used without the constant braking distance feature (when it works much better....)

Umelec - As DutchMaster says, inventors of this stuff, but almost unheard of outside a few German speaking bits of Europe.

- Nigel

Thanks for the reply on this, the slow approach setting is something im interested in but i was under the impression to achive this you would have to upgrade from a BM1 to BM2

Slow approach in Lenz decoders requires a BM2, or a DIY version.  There are DIY versions of the device published. 

Slow approach works by depressing alternative pulses of the DCC signal, rather than depressing one side of all pulses. 

I think Slow approach may be the subject of a patent, hence most other decoder makers not implementing it.

Zimo (and CT) have their own speed based approach stuff in "HLU". But, being Zimo hardware it is going to be expensive. 

The BM1 (stop signal) is just five or six fast-acting rectifier diodes, so a DIY version should cost under 50p.  

- Nigel

Slow approach in Lenz decoders requires a BM2, or a DIY version.  There are DIY versions of the device published. 

Slow approach works by depressing alternative pulses of the DCC signal, rather than depressing one side of all pulses. 

I think Slow approach may be the subject of a patent, hence most other decoder makers not implementing it.

Zimo (and CT) have their own speed based approach stuff in "HLU". But, being Zimo hardware it is going to be expensive. 

The BM1 (stop signal) is just five or six fast-acting rectifier diodes, so a DIY version should cost under 50p.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel 

Do you think it would be possible to set up some form of slow approach using  zimo hardware and a BM1 rather than coming to a unrealistic stop as the difference in price between a BM1 & BM2 is quite a lot.

If price is a consideration, forget Zimo HLU.

If the BM2 is thought to be the solution (with the limitation of Lenz or Umelec decoders only), and that's "expensive", then it is time to make your own.  I doubt DIY ones would be over £10 once you're past the first one.  The design I've seen was in the message archive of a Zimo users group on Yahoo, but I doubt its the only design. 

Flexible "slow approach" would mean investigating computer control or computer assistance. Cost and complexity of this depends heavily on choice of DCC system, but nothing in this area is dead-cheap.

- Nigel

Archived