Haydon Gurney

treggyman

Hi Tony

Thanks for posting the link....Some great footage.......

Sadly now history....

Not done much to the layout....Started another one....Hendra.....Another China Clay layout....

As far as exhibitions go only one pretty definite in November & one possible in June for Hayden Gurney......

The problem has been that SWMBO has been ill & I don't want to overcommit & let people down.....

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

Lots of useful stuff for making realistic train formation there, even if they don't look realistic.

Hi

Indeed a lot of useful info....

A train of horseboxes.....I wonder where they were going as the only racecourse I can think of in the area was Wincanton & I didn't think that was rail connected....

Cheers Bill

Hi

Indeed a lot of useful info....

A train of horseboxes.....I wonder where they were going as the only racecourse I can think of in the area was Wincanton & I didn't think that was rail connected....

Cheers Bill

I have a few horseboxes and run race specials. An interesting mix in that train, a few vans, then some horseboxes and did I see a 'Beetle'?

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Read those 8 pages enjoying a bit of S&D. Captured it rather well, on home turf for me I'm currently at lunch in work and located about 500yards from where the layout is set. Lived in Gurney Slade in the late 80s so much to like with your modelling and setting.

My layout when it comes to fruition (if I ever get Jane finished!) will be S&D currently Masbury is my favoured location but we will see.

Nice work Bill looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Ade

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bill,

in the time mine has been gathering dust you've gone and built all this! Very enjoyable catch up over the last eight pages, particularly like the signal box build. Will keep an eye out for this on the South West exhibition circuit hopefully.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/08/2020 at 20:08, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice S&DJR feel to this layout.

Hi

Thanks for the complement....Greatly appreciated....

Apologies for not responding sooner but for some reason I only saw your post today...

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi

Got Haydon Gurney down from it's shelf late last month.......

Following Creedyford's outing in November I had enjoyed running a roundy roundy so much I thought I'd seen how Haydon Gurney would run......

Not only is it a roundy roundy but there's lot's of shunting potential....Much more so than Creedyford.

I also thought What If.......

The S & D hadn't closed in March '66 but had stayed open.......

The collieries had shut but a good source of stone had been found to exploit......

For some reason it had become useful alternative/diversionary route so other freight & passenger operators also use the line.....

This being the case the current operator would have been GWR with the stone being hauled....in my scenario....by Freightliner.....( I already had 2 Freightliner 66's )...

Any way I set it up & after a good clean had a Play.......

One or two minor tweaks & the mainline ran fine as did running into & out of the yard......

But.......

Like with other layouts I built it on trestles & had assumed the floor was level when I built it.....I now know it isn't an now build on two lengths of straight 50x100 timber set on trestles & levelled....

The problem was that I had ended up with ski jumps over the baseboards......

This didn't cause derailments but bogie wagons uncoupled themselves as they went over the baseboard joins......The short wheelbase wagons I'd been using before had been fine but the extra length of the bogie wagons caused the issue....

Also the 66's derailed going into the sidings (but rerailed coming out)

So major digging up of track occurred & touch wood all is now fine......

I shan't reballast until I'm happy all is hunky dory though......

IMG_4673.resized.JPG.6e288e792c534117715eae471b859ba3.JPG

IMG_4676.resized.JPG.d579ed58c5f5de2c8a9f030ee3eb6566.JPG

IMG_4675.resized.JPG.fa67a18cb424a11e0edcfc3b17a2e388.JPG

You can see the large gap in the track joins caused by the layout baseboards now being level......

The other area that needs major attention is the spinney at the layout front.......

There's obviously been a major storm....

IMG_4677.resized.JPG.df0a85f94b172bdc5b6b9e74238accb6.JPG

The other issue is that as I had anticipated building end to end layouts I have put a row of kitchen unit bases against the wall for storage & it is on these that I have started to build Condurrow (at present progress stalled for various reasons)

Operationally it doesn't matter as the layout is operated from inside but it will limit photo opportunities I think.

Anyway.....Hopefully I can have some fun operating/upgrading it & hopefully making it dual era......

I had considered Westernising it & turning it into a China Clay layout but as stations are being done up these days they are sometimes repainted into their original colour schemes ( Crediton ) for example I thought that it might work here.....

Well thats all for now but I shall update as & when progress is made....

Thanks for looking in....

Cheers Bill

• Like 6