Yes, it is definitely possible to make micro-layouts in 0, as much as in any other scale, and there are several featured in various corners of RMWeb.

However, this one is more 'mini' than 'micro'.

Kevin

Is there really a difference to me I've heard of shelf layouts and micro layouts

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Is that the smallest '0-gauge' layout there is?  I've seen box-file layout in 0 some years ago, but it was around three times the length of this one.

Regards,

Alex.

This one is quite small : 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14157-taunton-members-day-sunday-17th-april-2011/?p=379117

• Like 1

Is there a difference, asks BRG?

Well, Carl Arendt gave us a working definition of a micro, as being up to four square feet. Before he defined it, it just meant "much, much smaller than a normal layout", although, by coincidence, I seem to have been the first person to write the term "microlayout" down, and the layout in question was four square feet.

Personally, I would use the term "mini" to mean "bigger than micro, but still pretty small", which is anything but precise!

To me, while four square feet in 0 is quite good fun, it doesn't permit a layout with sustained operating interest.

Kevin

To me, while four square feet in 0 is quite good fun, it doesn't permit a layout with sustained operating interest.

Kevin

Carl's definition was four square feet of scenic area, with a fiddle yard added. I think an O gauge 3-2-2 inglenook and an O-16.5 terminus in a scenic area of 4x1 should be fairly interesting to operate, when I get the last little bit of Cheapside Yard done, and some narrow gauge rolling stock built!

Is there a difference, asks BRG?

Well, Carl Arendt gave us a working definition of a micro, as being up to four square feet. Before he defined it, it just meant "much, much smaller than a normal layout", although, by coincidence, I seem to have been the first person to write the term "microlayout" down, and the layout in question was four square feet.

Personally, I would use the term "mini" to mean "bigger than micro, but still pretty small", which is anything but precise!

Kevin

Ok last post didn't go up we're talking about 5-8 foot here isn't interest a opinion

BGJ and BRG

Yes, of course, what is operationally interesting is a matter of personal taste, which is why I begun that sentence with "personally". I don't much enjoy playing with inglenooks, but four square feet is, personally speaking again, enough to get an interesting layout in 0-16.5.

BGJ and BRG

Yes, of course, what is operationally interesting is a matter of personal taste, which is why I begun that sentence with "personally". I don't much enjoy playing with inglenooks, but four square feet is, personally speaking again, enough to get an interesting layout in 0-16.5.

I'll have to come up with something different for the next version of Cheapside Yard then, involving some hidden sector plates and other devious stuff!

• Like 1

Mind you, I feel that the Carl Arendt definition of 4 sq. ft. was intended in an OO/HO context, and an O microlayout could be larger.

I don't think he distinguished between scales, although he was very flexible with size when putting layouts on his web site!

When planning layouts I aim to stick to 4x1 plus fiddle yard if I want to create a micro layout, regardless of scale.

One of the best set of rules that I have seen for a tiny, to avoid the word 'micro', layout contest, was in a French magazine, and I think it originated with GEMME. It used the track gauge as the unit of measure, and then set limiting dimensions of A x B units, something like 10 x 15 for the scenic area, IIRC, and limits on "off stage" space in similar terms. This seemed to work, without getting too crazy, and I think that GDNGRS have adopted similar for some of their contests.

Somewhere, I think there might be a finescale 'micro' in gestation, waiting until after Paltry Circus is finished, and my main layout has progressed a bit, because I'm beginning to feel the structures, scenery, and rusty bucket sensation creeping up on me. No clear idea what yet, except that it might be interesting to do a Victorian/Edwardian something, using only electric and internal-combustion power; the white heat of technology c1901.

Kevin

Mind you, I feel that the Carl Arendt definition of 4 sq. ft. was intended in an OO/HO context, and an O microlayout could be larger.

Not quite right, I'm 'fraid. 

From Carl's site, section "About Us":

quote:

From the beginning, "micro layouts" have been defined as "small model railroads, usually less than three or four square feet in area, that nonetheless have a clear purpose and excellent operating capability."

The prescribed layout size is more a state of mind than a rigid dimension, although "four square feet or less" ("under 3600 square centimeters") has become the canonical size for a micro, regardless of scale. What distinguishes these layouts from simple dioramas is the requirement for "excellent operating capability". These are working railroads, not just display scenes or tail-chaser loops.

unquote

However, as he said himself, Carl didn't stick stiffly to this definition: "... more a state of mind than a rigid dimension...", which is too often overlooked, imho.

Regards

Armin

Edited by CourthsVeil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit, I miss the guy. He had a really inventive, enquiring mind, and the steady stream of ideas, with worldwide input, made a great read and source of ideas for the small layouts. Since he's gone, they've tried to keep a thread of sorts going, but it s nowhere near what it used to be.

• Like 2