Tetbury

Chris Chewter

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been a bit quiet on RMweb because I’ve been trying to sort out the wiring on the layout, and unfortunately it’s far from photogenic.

I’ve become more and more dissatisfied with the LED display being operated from the accessory output from the seep point motors. Two or three weren’t operating correctly, and things finally came to a head when I was rummaging in some stored boxes under the layout and ripped some of the wiring. I had previously tried and failed to install a points indicator board, but decided to try again. (The fact that the instructions didn’t match the board didn’t help)

I had a feeling that the old indicator board I had was defective, all the LEDs were on and it didn’t do anything, so a new board from BlockSignalling was purchased and wired in.

21A952DC-D69C-4DBF-9FF2-B41BEA2C0B10.jpeg.bc662b57c6369bb3504f7cec79e4e10e.jpeg

Following their instructions, it was wired in and hey presto, all works great!

9C6A658E-0F11-4FE2-A4CF-EA903BC47294.jpeg.90d3473e8a7360047b94121be3a5fae3.jpeg

And the LEDs aren’t so bright they burn your eyes!

I had also intended to put some LEDs above the switches to show if the points were facing left or right. These have been wired in and again works great!

4C48B8E0-7493-46C4-B881-258F7E000E0A.jpeg.241579432b84e356e0259493fc898990.jpeg

Just need to do something about the numbering...

I now need to strip out the redundant cables , and thats even less photogenic!

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The Hattons 14xx has annoyingly found a reason to go back on the shelf again.

C647CAF3-2DD0-4376-A328-8374B0D2122F.jpeg.a37697029bc782548fe01340da3414fa.jpeg

I had fitted it with a Zimo sound chip, but decided that sound was too good for a loco that wasn’t running 100% correctly, so I pulled out the chip to put in another loco, only for the 6 pin harness to partially come with it!

I took it apart, again, to try to assess the damage, only for the centre screw to shear. I now cannot screw the keeper plate on which worsens this locos light footed running.

A4CAB05F-B073-4CE5-A287-BAB081B6FBBD.jpeg.451395f6194bda46eba5a28540c4616a.jpeg

This model has given me so many issues, I can’t decide whether to be done with it and sell it, persevere and try to get it to sort of run again, or just leave it on the shelf! I did think about putting a new chassis beneath it, but I’m unaware of anyone having success with a Hattons 14xx.  

It now sits on the shelf of shame for a replacement 6 pin harness to arrive.

• Friendly/supportive 3

And I thought the old Airfix 14xx was a nail.

IMHO, there is no reason (especially when you consider the price of modern models) why a locomotive chassis cannot combine modern technology with Tri-ang robustness. But I only messed around with military aircraft, so what do I know? :scratchhead::D

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captainalbino said:

The Hattons 14xx has annoyingly found a reason to go back on the shelf again.

This model has given me so many issues, I can’t decide whether to be done with it and sell it, persevere and try to get it to sort of run again, or just leave it on the shelf! I did think about putting a new chassis beneath it, but I’m unaware of anyone having success with a Hattons 14xx.  

It's a shame this model is so deeply flawed. Seems to be typical of the problems with DJM's designs, unfortunately.

You need to talk to @Captain Kernow. He fitted a new chassis under the DJM/Hattons body but I don't think it was easy!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the Zimo decoder out of the 14xx has found its way into a 64xx and sounds excellent. No underfed screws on this one!

EF4305E6-5CDC-4B60-8A9B-D0CDDD2F0577.jpeg.eb1632024bfe61845cf3af3da10e005e.jpeg

It just needs detailing such as lamps, crew and fire irons, plus some weathering.

E884DBBD-B0E2-4FA0-9940-C74AAC32F8B2.jpeg.8069ab6641c94d5daaa6ac7c75cd83d6.jpeg

Whilst I can’t find any photographs of this type working at Tetbury, it was too good to turn down.

The 6pin harness has also turned up so the 14xx can be repaired, but I’m not expecting it to run very well upon completion.

1ECD9DEA-95E0-4E3D-B313-5D4B242C50FD.jpeg.ebc092567d4e7445bdb12612e7d5e3a1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone was selling a Hattons 14XX with High Level chassis on eBay. They were honest enough in the description that it didn’t run the best, which adds more weight onto the ‘sell this masterpiece of miniature engineering’ argument.

• RMweb Premium

High Level chassis are not for the faint hearted, but are very good. I have built a couple and I found them to be excellent, but if you go for the fully detailed working  or even dummy valve gear, then expect to re-do or modify the kit. As with  all steam locos,  you need to get the weight over the driving wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Like a one legged Phoenix, the 14xx has limped from the ashes. It struggles to pull a pair of coaches around a corner without a push, but just about puts in a performance on the layout without too much interference from the Hand of God. 

Sadly this is as good as it’s going to get with the current chassis.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tricky without actually being able to look at it, but I noticed that it stalled on the first and sharpest curve. It could be worth checking the back to back measurement, it may be a little wide and the rails on the curve pinched in by just enough to stall it if the motor is not well. It would also be worth checking the meshing of the motor to drive gear (root to tip measurements) for if the meshing is too tight, the motor is likely to stall under load. 

Just my $0.02 worth!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well 5819 is on eBay at the moment if anyone wants a 6 pin DCC chip with a free locomotive!

Having a bit of a nightmare with a spot of photo editing.  Took a shot of the other 14xx, when I noticed something odd about the numberplate. 

IMG_2401.JPG.9ba590bee8f931bdaf6fc8bea712179c.JPG

Looks like I need to find the tweezers and some superglue!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A look down from the causeway on Silver Street to see 6412 with its single coach train.

1a.jpg.58aa88c654762af46b6b0b128beae86f.jpg

For some reason, every 74xx that ran on the line seemed to have their lamps on the left hand side, so I've replicated this with 6412.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

In sorting out this focus stack, I've decided that I've had enough of the wills point rodding.  An order with Modelu has been placed to try to get rid of the uneven rodding!

10e.jpg.b03beabcac532759b409448ee037e80c.jpg

It also goes to show that its worthwhile vacuuming the layout before taking photos!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1