Tetbury

Chris Chewter

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps another evening, I might wind the clock forward to February 1959. The railcar isn't exactly exciting to run.

I was worried that where I removed the posters it looks a bit rough, but I think it captures the effect of posters having been removed in the past. 

New-Out99999.jpg.7eed52411df41ee8336bcac66dd4eb09.jpg

At least that's my excuse anyway!

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Like the manor pics Chris.

I can sympathise with the urge to run somthing different (bigger).

On Helstonish it usally translates into a 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 on a freight

twice the length the normal rules allow).

How many coaches could you squeeze into the platform?

You could consider the odd excursion, either with a larger loco

at the front (rule 1), or headed by a pair of tanks. That would

allow for a shunt release, for max coaches. As happened at

St Ives.

I've been really impressed (envious) with your progress bringing

to life a place I've only known from sitting in the current car

park, eating my lunch!

All the best

TONY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to echo those sentiments, except that I have only seen it on a pilgrimage detour from the motorcycle rally that used to be held near Kemble airfield. We would go out during the day for a run round that invariably took in all of the ruins on the branch. Someone applied for permission to convert the goods shed at Culkerton into a house. No idea if that ever happened though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2021 at 09:26, Chris Chewter said:

I know they're not prototypically accurate, but for the sake of variety, I thought I'd post a few photos of the Manor today:

A shot from the top of the cliff looking down to see Lechlade Manor on a short train.

At least in BR days there are lots of recorded incidences of locos turning up on branches which really shouldnt be there.  Such as 94xx making it to both Calne and Cheddar (both should never have seen a red route loco), at Cheddar there are also mentions of a single visit by a Manor.  While I have seen mentions of Castles having made it to Yelverton (but no photographic proof) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been trying to tidy up various bits in the layout and my eye fell on a section of dodgy ballast near the head shunt. I’ve been putting it off because trying to match ballast is an absolute pain!

Ballast applied, and as suspected, the stuff left over in the shaker tub is lighter than the ballast on the layout. It’s the left overs from when I originally ballasted the layout, so why the difference in shade, I have no idea!

I tried to weather it down using the same technique as several years ago, but you could still see that new ballast had been applied. It wasn’t a good sight! In fact, it looked so bad, I didn’t take a photo.

Ballast removed where poor, and reapplied. It was then sprayed with grey primer to give the ballast a uniform shade. Looking a bit blue, this was toned down with a spray over with black. Unfortunately I’ve applied too much black, but at least it’s a uniform shade!

ACB207E0-33DA-42C0-9009-BE89B3F0CCC2.jpeg.dc9e7b84561ed7132e623de79702817d.jpeg

Its not what I wanted, but for tonight, that’ll do. It’s also an improvement on the original patch ballast from attempt one. I was too embarrassed to even take a photo of that one! At least the area now looks passable.

BB4D33C6-D984-4916-8F8B-ED347BE6999F.jpeg.3d0b4c36ef0fc219d7756738a55a1e27.jpeg

I think I might stick to something safe tomorrow, like wheel cleaning!

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Well this morning I thought I might as well use the same technique for the running lines. Three hours later and here we are.

2E7AA3A6-11B8-43D8-B8E5-560CFFDF7033.jpeg.a0dcbcc57b16717ccb68382cce765576.jpeg

Its darker than I’d like, but looks better than wafting some diluted black acrylic around!

• Like 12

On 12/02/2021 at 06:58, The Fatadder said:

While I have seen mentions of Castles having made it to Yelverton (but no photographic proof) 

Still no proof as in those days I didn't even have  a camera, but I did see a Castle at Shaugh Bridge heading toward Yelverton and later coming back tender first.  The Yelverton T/T was too small:jester: !   Interestingly though in a new Transport Treasury book, there was a  sequence of the train at Princetown where the loco was turned on the shed line turn table.  I was always under the impression that locos were to heavy even if they were small enough to fit!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of check photos taken tonight to review the ballast weathering.

A look down the bank at the 64xx in the station.

877990592_64xxTetbury1.jpg.73a9a966df396527b9e98584841fe64f.jpg

And the view from the cottage hospital

1118730900_64xxTetbury2.jpg.59d986c7300fe6dd288bc3ba3ea38daa.jpg

Edited by Chris Chewter
Improved photos uploaded
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, brianusa said:

Still no proof as in those days I didn't even have  a camera, but I did see a Castle at Shaugh Bridge heading toward Yelverton and later coming back tender first.  The Yelverton T/T was too small:jester: !   Interestingly though in a new Transport Treasury book, there was a  sequence of the train at Princetown where the loco was turned on the shed line turn table.  I was always under the impression that locos were to heavy even if they were small enough to fit!

Brian.

The T/T at Princetown and Yelverton, were provided to turn 0-6-0 tanks on snow ploughing duties, as the plough was bolted to the front buffer beam after the buffers had been removed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've run some better stacks from the photos taken yesterday.

Another view of the 64xx sat in the platform waiting for the fireman to unhook.

704075591_64xxPlatform.jpg.a52b074f28ad95956139423c85ecbf60.jpg

Someone's going to be annoyed when they find those bicycles all over the floor! (One disappeared up the hoover nozzle never to be seen again!)

The image below must have been taken another day, as the 64xx has been turned

1023610624_64xxGoodshed.jpg.f0148a09ab245764e7df1da639d677e1.jpg

Lets face it, I just turned the loco around with the assistance from the Hand of God for the sake of variety!

Still undecided whether the ballast is too dark.  Not too sure how to lighten it to be honest.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, I honestly think the ballast colour is fine. I think it is just the fact you were used to seeing it a different shade before and you will need time to get used to the new shade.

Ballast got pretty mucky. I can illustrate with an aerial photo taken in the 1930's at Malmesbury which I am modelling. The track next to the platform is black with dirt.

Cheers, Ade.

download (4).png

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The T/T at Princetown and Yelverton, were provided to turn 0-6-0 tanks on snow ploughing duties, as the plough was bolted to the front buffer beam after the buffers had been removed.

Ah yes, but this was a Prairie tank!

Brian.