Tetbury

Chris Chewter

Chris - I never visited Tetbury whilst it was open, but based on my more recent lunchtime visits,

I have an overall impression that the site was actually quite a dull, dank place. Therefore very

likely to have gained a darker patina, as it would not be bleached by the sunlight.

Whilst you could, understandably, always run your layout on a sunny summers day, in reality

it's tone would inevitably have been set in the dull Autumn, Winter, and early Spring days.

Dirty and well used looks better that freshly laid,

I think you've got it pretty right.

Keep up the good work.

TONY

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have to agree there, although my visits were 20 years ago before the goods shed was repurposed, the site being located in a hollow, does fit the description dull and dank. The ballast certainly wouldn't be fresh, oil and ash free in the period you are modelling, if ever.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brianusa said:

Ah yes, but this was a Prairie tank!

Brian.

I don't know what size the T/Ts were, I will have to try and dig out Eddie Lyons shed book and see if it gives a diameter.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Gold

How about a black and white photo today.

Again, I know the 94xx's didn't head to Tetbury, but what if one of the Swindon pilots was asked to provide motive power for the day?

1209626002_94xxengineshedBW.jpg.e03067cc4c212756d877ae225402c878.jpg

The crew have taken time to pull up mid run round to pass the time with a local visitor to the shed and his son.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Or maybe not...

Looks like I celebrated too soon and feel a bit embarrassed about excitedly receiving a loco that seemed to works, only for it to suddenly give up.   Whilst testing on the rolling road, it started running rough in reverse before it strangely died. Completely dead with no life.

Given that this is the second loco, I think I'll call it quits and operate Tetbury without a 16xx.  It'll be sadly heading back to Cornwall with a request for a refund this time.

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, Chris Chewter said:

Given that this is the second loco, I think I'll call it quits and operate Tetbury without a 16xx.  It'll be sadly heading back to Cornwall with a request for a refund this time.

Sorry to hear that Chris, I was going to buy one but will give it a miss the same as I did with the infamous DJM 14xx

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

That is a damn shame. Such a good looking locomotive too. Not that it's any consolation, but the box I found the "Connie" chassis in also contained my mint, boxed Mainline Railways 57xx that has seen less than an hour's running.

Or at least I thought it did. The body and one side of the split chassis is like new, the other has expanded and broken into no less than eight pieces, pushing the wheels off the axles in the process. I seriously doubt that Hattons will take it back after 38 years, even if I can find the receipt.

Bin fodder I think. 

IMG_20210217_164513.jpg.ce9406b946ef6d25c173dfe90b922b90.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Well the 16xx saga gets even stranger. Turns out I have a loco that just won’t turn left. It’ll travel straight ahead or turn right. Just not left!

That’s got to be a pickup issue! Back to Cornwall it shall go!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A quick look down from the hillside reveals a reluctant pannier hiding by the engine shed.  Its just about to set forwards onto the main line before reversing onto the train.  The driver is looking back towards the fireman who is operating the ground frame out of shot. Either that or he's checking no-one has stolen his bike!

35843718_Passingby.jpg.4920188f94e760af003964b7d7d5754b.jpg

Edited by Chris Chewter
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I thought I’d try and test the model by setting up some of the photos in Randolph and see how they come out. However firstly I need to sort out the stock to match.

54816C56-7F3A-40A8-BB22-AF4B418BCB05.jpeg.162a9c7ec434a67fb91c5df0cbf9b136.jpeg

I found a Modelu figure in a similar pose and fitted a Modelu tail lamp. The vans been weathered and I painted on the number using a cocktail stick.

• Like 17

I would suggest the last photograph is a candidate for the "Show us your realistic modelling" thread.

Once again the new lighting set up works extremely well.

G

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just brilliant Chris. I've had a look through your thread to search for details on the lighting, which really adds that finishing touch to the superb modelling. 

On 06/06/2020 at 12:58, Chris Chewter said:

I’ve always been slightly annoyed that the fluorescent strip light could never illuminate the goods yard area properly.

I’ve been shopping around for a while weighing up options. Even fish tank lights were considered at one point! In the end I found some 20w builders work lights on sale, so could light the layout for a reasonable £30!

I assume that is what you are still using? Can I ask how many, and how they are set up?

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2021 at 21:40, Chris Chewter said:

Yes, still using the LED builders lamps. There are currently three equally spaced across the front of the layout.

3B931321-4692-49FB-B91F-1757E501B0E4.jpeg.727cce9415d04789fa163f4436788acf.jpeg

Thanks for that, very useful.  The daylight effect in your photos is very convincing to me. I need to read up on Lumen and perhaps especially Kelvin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1