Tetbury

Chris Chewter

That's a very useful post, no need to apologise, it looks like I got it right when I cribbed from your earlier photos around the goods shed in order to paint my signalman! That's not drybrushing, it's the matt 67 I used for primer showing through.

IMG_20210510_005339.jpg.41ed098846f57bed54c9babf33e25ae4.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that's a nice illustration of the process Chris. That last shot with 5532 is superb.

19 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

That looks great from a distance, but I find that a diluted black wash can make your figures look like oil paintings in a photo realistic world

That's my experience too. It's the old dilemma of things look differently at a distance and in close-up. These days with close-up digital photography the heavy shading often comes across too stark, in my view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a week off making family visits, I've taken another batch of photos.  Todays photo is 6417.  This isn't my favourite weathered loco, but I think it looks fairly good sat simmering next to the access road.

10a.jpg.837bec754492641d6e66e767dd197fd8.jpg

The only changes to the actual image is adding digital clouds where the backscene isn't high enough, and the telegraph pole has been digitally removed, because its removal was easier than trimming around the top of the pole!

With a critical eye, it probably needs a slightly tighter crop, but I have another 8 to put through Combine ZP!.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

Another photo of 6417, this time sat next to the engine shed whilst the crew have a quick brew.

I do like the sense of depth to that wooded backscene.  Looks really good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

Similar to yesterdays photo, but the reason why 9735 hasn't departed is clear.  Looks like the guard hasn't moved the lamp yet.  So what has caught the drivers attention?

18.jpg.b477772d02ccf43681c6f8836a869625.jpg

Fireman has not sorted the loco lamp(s) either, perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

He could well be checking to see where the firman has gone. We all know he’s drinking tea by the engine shed!

In reality, the locos sat on the workbench waiting for me to get around to painting another batch of Modelu loco lamps, but I’ve been having too much fun figure painting!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Todays photo is 4680 heading out of Tetbury.

15.jpg.b6987a28098663ecbbe5d7c230e02d23.jpg

I would blame the guard for the tail lamp being so obviously wrong, but actually its a failure of the hand of god who forgot to turn the coaching stock around the other way for the photo! 

No worries, photo editing software to the rescue! I needed to edit it anyway, as Combine ZP obviously struggled with the lamp handle.

15a.jpg.e32e5edfbd0ae821b9516c83a74250f9.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The prototype-faithful deployment of lamps is a nightmare for termini. The Hand of God has to be invoked.Then there are junctions stations where trains join and split. No easy answer that I can deduce. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've considered and tried most options.  Blu-tac shows up in photos and slotting Modelu lamps each time is a faff.  It ends up breaking something off.  The only solution Its just careful placement of stock for photos and if all else fails, a spot of photo editing. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for the lack of posts over the last few months. I was concerned that people were getting jaded to the constant streams of photos of panniers.

Anyway, I thought I’d post to say that if you do enjoy Tetbury, it was filmed back in February as a feature layout for the Hornby: A model world programme.

39FC7B68-4185-45B4-85AC-16B3B2049FE7.jpeg.a617a89d4c663297a7dc829c084f6d57.jpeg

If I do find out which episode it’s in, I’ll post an update.

I’ve now got a good selection of new photos, so will start putting the best ones up over the next few weeks.

Edited by Chris Chewter
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2