Tetbury

Chris Chewter

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its funny the things that spur you back into making progress on your layout.  I've fitted the railcar with a sound chip from Howes, and its really added back that missing dimension that you don't get when the locos run silently.  I've also fitted one of the Panniers with a sound chip from the Chinnor and Prices Risborough railway.  The sounds are fantastic, but its now exhibiting some strange running qualities:

I presume i need to change some CV's to get it running smoothly, but does anyone have any ideas which ones to adjust?

(Sorry for the video quality, but I wanted to demonstrate the issue rather that get a cinematic video.)

Edited by Captainalbino

• RMweb Gold

The pannier performance mystery has been solved!

Last night I received a comment on Youtube asking whether the capacitors had been removed.  Now I'm not the greatest advocate for their removal on the basis that the TCS M1P the loco was previously fitted with was able to perform with these still fitted. It also prevents the DCC chip from being removed and the loco sold on the open market should circumstances change.

However I have removed capacitors in the past to sort out performance issues, so I know its sometimes necessary.  Also, because it's unlikely this loco shall be sold on, I decided to snip them out with immediate performance improvements!

I just need better lighting to improve the video capture, however things like finishing off the cottages face a higher priority at the moment!

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A couple of extra videos taken with better lighting.

However better lighting shows the flaws!  So much work to do!

However this one of the pannier on the run round I didn't think looked too bad:

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Spurred on by adding sound to the pannier, the videos show just how sparse everything looks on the layout without trees, so I decided to set about adding foliage to the wire armatures, now covered in plaster and sprayed with an over coat of grey, and a light coat of brown. 

Using hob-e-tac glue, I originally added some static fibres as before, but found it was too thin, so added some coarse turf, and the trees were transformed!

post-7653-0-56824200-1515358942_thumb.jpg

Looking much better, I decided to check my reference photographs and noticed that the scots pines are not the vibrant shade of green I had used.  Instead they were a lot darker, hence why I also purchased a woodland scenics shaker tub of conifer green!

post-7653-0-70827000-1515358969_thumb.jpg

So I stripped off the light green and reapplied.  Now they look alot better and I feel spurred on to finish the remaining trees.

post-7653-0-12812500-1515358949_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-00068600-1515358959_thumb.jpg

The one significant problem in using plaster to coat the trees, is that they are now prone to cracking if the armature twists even slightly!, so I now have to drill slightly oversize holes to prevent twisting the trees into overtight accommodation holes.

post-7653-0-43066900-1515358964_thumb.jpg

For future trees before spraying, I might apply a single coat of latex, but its too late for the pines which are all plastered and sprayed and ready to go.

Another set back is that four trees has finished up my supply of hob-e-tac, and used an alarming amount of coarse turf scatter.  So with credit card in hand, an order was placed with one of the online retailers.  Just need to await delivery before I crack on.

I think it might be another month before I fit sound to the 14xx!

• Like 5

Spurred on by adding sound to the pannier, the videos show just how sparse everything looks on the layout without trees, so I decided to set about adding foliage to the wire armatures, now covered in plaster and sprayed with an over coat of grey, and a light coat of brown. 

Using hob-e-tac glue, I originally added some static fibres as before, but found it was too thin, so added some coarse turf, and the trees were transformed!

attachicon.gifGreen Scots pine.JPG

Looking much better, I decided to check my reference photographs and noticed that the scots pines are not the vibrant shade of green I had used.  Instead they were a lot darker, hence why I also purchased a woodland scenics shaker tub of conifer green!

attachicon.gifTetbury closure.JPG

So I stripped off the light green and reapplied.  Now they look alot better and I feel spurred on to finish the remaining trees.

attachicon.gifScots pine 1.JPG

attachicon.gifScots pine 2.JPG

The one significant problem in using plaster to coat the trees, is that they are now prone to cracking if the armature twists even slightly!, so I now have to drill slightly oversize holes to prevent twisting the trees into overtight accommodation holes.

attachicon.gifScots pine Injury.JPG

For future trees before spraying, I might apply a single coat of latex, but its too late for the pines which are all plastered and sprayed and ready to go.

Another set back is that four trees has finished up my supply of hob-e-tac, and used an alarming amount of coarse turf scatter.  So with credit card in hand, an order was placed with one of the online retailers.  Just need to await delivery before I crack on.

I think it might be another month before I fit sound to the 14xx!

You could try green polyfibre on the end of the branches glued with HoBeTac then hairspray / matte medium to glue on the coarse turf. That might be a bit more economical. But your trees look good as they are!

Edited by Salmotrutta

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did try polyfibre, but when I pulled a lump of green woodland scenics polyfibre out of the bag and glued it on, it still seemed a little chunky.  I might try polyfibre on another tree and see how I get on.

(That reminds me, my daughter had a bag of polyfibre left over from a stuff your own bear kit at Christmas which I thought I could dye green, but I fear it may have been thrown out!)

Edited by Captainalbino

• RMweb Gold

I thought the following photo might be interesting.  Most historic photos of steam motive power at Tetbury normally shows the usual mix 14xx autotanks, however occasionally you come across a few gems with something different.  To date I think this is the only evidence of a small prairie at Tetbury:

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/

The train behind it is also interesting as it appears to consist of a single B coach and I presume a Toad!

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did try polyfibre, but when I pulled a lump of green woodland scenics polyfibre out of the bag and glued it on, it still seemed a little chunky.  I might try polyfibre on another tree and see how I get on.

(That reminds me, my daughter had a bag of polyfibre left over from a stuff your own bear kit at Christmas which I thought I could dye green, but I fear it may have been thrown out!)

I think that you have to pull the fibre out until it's a really thin sheet. An alternative might be to take the clump scenery and squish it flat on a plastic bag (so it doesn't stick) and soak it with matte medium. Once it's dried it should need less glue to stick on the branches.. Just a thought!

Rather than dying polyfibre, I find it easier to spray it in situ. For trees, I find the more it is teased out the better and it can be pulled back along the branches. This avoids the long bare branch, stretching out from the trunk and gives the 'fuller' textured look that you see in the prototype photo. I would spray with black car paint and sprinkle your leaf material down. It can be locked in place with hairspray or acrylic varnish. Its another option at least.

If its any help, I have some photos here - http://thesulzer27.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm aware that there are a few deciduous trees that I need to model, however they need to wait until I've mode space by finishing the next batch of Scots pines, so certainly a few ideas to try out. 

At the moment, I'm happy with the bare branches, as the foliage for Scots pines seem to be towards the end of the branch, as these mature examples near my local petrol station hopefully demonstrate.

post-7653-0-45683200-1515874532_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the latest batch to cure before they are also affixed to the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Another unusual photograph of Tetbury motive power.  whilst the presence of 16xx tanks were not unusual, with 1664 being photographed numerous times, to date this is the only one of 1648 working the branch:

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p254678474/h61A9417E#h61a9417e

With regards to 1664, there is another lovely photograph of that engine working the sister branch to Cirencester:

http://railphotoprints.uk/p790498984

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Update on progress with the trees, I've made up and planted my first batch of deciduous trees using Barry Normans techinque as per Right track 6 Part 2.  Basically, you use a wire armature, take a lump of rubberised horse hair, spray with spray glue, and cover with Woodland Scenics coarse turf. 

post-7653-0-08675700-1516557688_thumb.jpg

I thought they didn't come out too bad, however some of the big strands of horse hair fibre show through in a few places.

post-7653-0-61018200-1516557699_thumb.jpg

However I think its about as good as I can do at the moment, and certainly the trees start creating a better landscape.

post-7653-0-04207700-1516557708_thumb.jpg

I've also planted the remainder of the pines, including two by the cattle dock.

post-7653-0-12076500-1516557719_thumb.jpg

I now need to get back to twisting a load more armatures over the next few weeks! 

I also have the pre-fab and cottages in progress, so will add these back onto the layout once painted up and a roof added, so plenty to keep me busy at the moment!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this thread, thanks to a prompt from 2ManySpams over on ANTB.  Lovely stuff - will now be following.  So take 'likes' for recent posts as a proxy for the lot.

Just read through the whole story so far, and often found myself grinning and nodding in agreement re so many things - Timber Tracks buildings, ballasting, fencing, and the fiddly job of getting the lenses onto Modelu lamps, are just a few examples.

John C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight the wife decided to go out to watch The Greatest Showman with some of her friends.  When I realised that it wasn't a cinematic release about traction engines, I reminded her that I am in fact allergic to musicals, and I would reluctantly stay at home, saving us the issue of having to find a babysitter.

post-7653-0-44452600-1516657338_thumb.jpg

My version of The Greatest Showman, and no Hugh Jackman in sight!

So tonight I set about continuing with the cottage and prefab.  A bit more progress made by painting the cottages in Humbrol 121 Light Stone, and applying the raised planking to the Prefab.

post-7653-0-16998100-1516656340_thumb.jpg

Now letting things cure whilst watching a few "steamy" DVD's. There's nothing better than modelling to the sound of a Castle on the main!

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've been busy progressing with the cottages and prefab today.  After a coat of thinned black to pick out the stonework, and the doors painted with a thin coat of brown, I think they are coming together nicely.  Once the glue has cured, I'll add on the tiles and paint slate grey.

post-7653-0-63344400-1517157647_thumb.jpg

And for comparison, the cottages a few years back on a very wet site visit.

post-7653-0-09960800-1517157641_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Sadly not so pleased with the pre-fab:

post-7653-0-87231600-1517680785_thumb.jpeg

And the original prefab photo the models based on for comparison.

post-7653-0-97454200-1517680404_thumb.jpeg

I can’t decide whether I’m just being fussy, or if it’s the glossy roof, or the wonky battens. Ive applied some matt varnish to the roof and we’ll see if that works, otherwise it’ll need to be repainted.

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After an application of mattcote to the roof of the pre-fab, it still looked too shiny.  The photograph above gives the roof almost a grey shade, so I decided to repaint the roof in matt slate grey, which seems to have improved things.  if I can find a thin strip of timber, I need to put a fascia below the roof and attach the guttering.

post-7653-0-92347400-1518003935_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do like touching up on the trees where pieces of plaster have spalled away from the trunks.  Currently they aren't glued into position to allow for their removal and a bit of repair before they are finally glued into position.

post-7653-0-73541300-1518004335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Feeling a little fussy, I decided that one in the trees in the last update looked a little puny, with a tiny trunk and massive foliage making it look a little unbelievable.  So off it came to be replaced by a bigger brother.

post-7653-0-76773200-1518282472_thumb.jpg

Also, the trees continue to march down the layout.  Things are certainly starting to look leafy!

post-7653-0-85967700-1518282478_thumb.jpg

I also need to find a safe way to vacuum clean the layout without destroying the family hoover.  The scots pines appear to have shed some of their greenery.

• Like 6

Feeling a little fussy, I decided that one in the trees in the last update looked a little puny, with a tiny trunk and massive foliage making it look a little unbelievable.  So off it came to be replaced by a bigger brother.

attachicon.gifTree Update 4.JPG

Also, the trees continue to march down the layout.  Things are certainly starting to look leafy!

attachicon.gifTree Update 5.JPG

I also need to find a safe way to vacuum clean the layout without destroying the family hoover.  The scots pines appear to have shed some of their greenery.

I clean my layout with a giant "pooter" - it's based on a device we used to capture insects during biology classes. It's made from a peanut butter jar, two lengths of clear plastic tubing and some muslin (old nylon stocking). Basically it captures allthe stuff sucked up from the track and stops it going int o your Hoover. You can also re-cycle all the sucked-up stuff. I'll post a picture later on.

• Informative/Useful 1

The long tube is the "sucker-upper" and the short one with the muslin near the jar top goes to the nozzle of your Hoover. You adjust suction by just loosely holding the tube  in the vacuum end. Never throw away loose scatter material again! It's a "Skippy" peanut butter jar from Canada as it is plastic.

post-27796-0-48739600-1518469469_thumb.jpg

post-27796-0-34096000-1518469472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, the space where I have the railway set up is used by the family to store other things.  As a result, sometimes things get damaged.  Today I found that some of the fencing had been knocked off which is a bit of a pain.  However as the end is unprotected, I only have myself to blame!  Nothing a bit of ply can't solve!

post-7653-0-00942800-1519133979_thumb.jpg

I also received a knock on the door and the postman thrust a mysterious box in my face.  I had decided to spend this months model railway budget on telegraph poles from Express Models, but didn't expect them to arrive so fast, and very nice they look too!

post-7653-0-09133100-1519133993_thumb.jpg

I had heard they were good, but the photos on their website don't do them justice.  Very pleased that I didn't skimp on buying cheapo plastic poles.  Looking forward to getting them dotted around the layout!