Weybridge Model Railway Exhibition - Saturday 5th March 2016

dakrail

We are proud to present the first Weybridge Model Railway Exhibition at Heathside School, Brooklands Lane, Weybridge, Surrey. We have a good variety of layouts: The Glyn Valley Tramway 009

Ashbury Brooks EM

Ventnor OO

Priorfield OO

Woodstowe OO

Maxwell N

Garsdale Head N

Kuritu Line N

Zevendaal HO

Ada Park N

The exhibition has a variety of traders too and opening times are 10am - 4.30pm, Keep checking for updates.

Organised by who? This seems to be a serial (commercial? )  show organiser (Frinton, Maidstone, Wallingford amongst others? ), at least that's the way it seems based on your rmweb posting profile?

Jon

I am organise the shows, I am a model railway enthusiast and so are all my exhibitors who exhibit at the shows. We have donated the surplus from the shows to local charitable organisations. I hope you can attend Weybridge in a couple of weeks time. 

Dakota  

Which charities are those then, or is that the Dakota Dibden Student debt relief fund. The local show scene can well do without any extra shows abstracting funds particularly if a small show like this at £5 with poor value for money puts first timers off from attending the nearby Epsom show 6 weeks later at £7 for a great deal better.

Jon

I know this young man has donated to Hospices and other local charities. I have also exhibited layouts at his shows and have noticed that the quality of layouts are amongst some of the better ones I have seen at the many shows I attend. And comments I have had from the public at his shows have always been on the favourable side............... So don't slag anyone off or 'run them down' it is not nice and does not put you (Jonathan Hall), or your club that you represent in 'a good light'.

Some of these so called 'better shows' have some mighty fine looking layouts but they might just as well be a twenty foot long static dioramas as nothing moves on them.............

The public like to see things moving. So do you put a show on for the fickle modellers or do you go for the public that come along and enjoy seeing trains run and pay the money?

Also, the members of the club I belong to put on smaller charitable shows throughout the year in the Chelmsford area and we have not noticed any of them taking anything away from our large main show in October, in fact we have found that the shows all generate a reasonable income for the charities we support.

I have to add here that my club has around 100 members and we donate money to local charities and causes and this includes the excess over expenditure from the main exhibitions we hold. It is not a commercial venture, we care about our local community and support it.

It's very easy to sit there behind your username and criticise others. With news of Hornbys share loss yesterday it is clear we need MORE people who are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to organise exhibitions which are often a window for the general public to see railway modelling for the first time. It is common for new shows in an area to attract people who may not have visited an exhibition before and are attracted by the novelty of a show in their area. This person may be a "serial" organiser but their aim is to spread the word beyond our often closed ranks in modelling clubs. The less suppliers of model equipment on the market, the more likelihood there is of prices rising. Perhaps some people commenting on this thread would prefer that. Don't sit there and moan at others, we need evangelists like this who do it for the joy, they are taking the risks. Enjoy your hobby while you can.....

• RMweb Gold

Surely Mr Dibben will show the relevant and verifiable paperwork relating to the shows he organises- regarding expenses,profits,said charitable donations- to the appropriate visitors on the 5th March on request?

The crucial information would seem to be whether the organiser is taking any money out before making a charitable donation. For example, an event makes £1,000 and charitable donations of £200 are made, where does the other £800 go?

It's very easy to sit there behind your username and criticise others. With news of Hornbys share loss yesterday it is clear we need MORE people who are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to organise exhibitions which are often a window for the general public to see railway modelling for the first time. It is common for new shows in an area to attract people who may not have visited an exhibition before and are attracted by the novelty of a show in their area. This person may be a "serial" organiser but their aim is to spread the word beyond our often closed ranks in modelling clubs. The less suppliers of model equipment on the market, the more likelihood there is of prices rising. Perhaps some people commenting on this thread would prefer that. Don't sit there and moan at others, we need evangelists like this who do it for the joy, they are taking the risks. Enjoy your hobby while you can.....

Yes, it is easy to criticise others but that works both ways (ie be careful of whether your criticism of criticism is justified)! I'm not sure some of the conclusions you reach are the same as I would.

Perhaps new enthusiasm would be better spent helping existing clubs/shows rather than competing in an already (at times) busy exhibition calendar. The more shows there are the more the layouts/demo'ers/traders get diluted which doesn't help either.

Archived