Pre nationalisation coaching stock in BR blue grey?

jetmorgan

Not 100% sure if this is the best place for this but here goes:-

I've been looking for some ideas to model some oddities and after seeing a few photos of pre-nationalisation coaching stock in BR blue & grey it looks like I might have some ideas. I'm fully aware of the Gresley buffets that survived into the blue/grey era and also some GWR sleeping cars that also gained blue/grey. I also have a phot of an LMS porthole corridor brake 2nd in blue/grey. Does anyone have a list of what other big four coaches that managed to survive to gain blue/grey???

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not 100% sure if this is the best place for this but here goes:-

I've been looking for some ideas to model some oddities and after seeing a few photos of pre-nationalisation coaching stock in BR blue & grey it looks like I might have some ideas. I'm fully aware of the Gresley buffets that survived into the blue/grey era and also some GWR sleeping cars that also gained blue/grey. I also have a phot of an LMS porthole corridor brake 2nd in blue/grey. Does anyone have a list of what other big four coaches that managed to survive to gain blue/grey???

Hi Dave

Have you considered joining Robert Carol's BR Coaching Stock Yahoo Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BRCoachingStock

I know it is a subject that has been covered in depth on there. Just using my memory just a few ordinary coaches were repainted blue grey, these included a couple of Hawksworths and some Stanier Porthole brake second corridors. All other stock was catering, sleeping, mail or parcels coaches.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Dave

Have you considered joining Robert Carol's BR Coaching Stock Yahoo Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BRCoachingStock

I know it is a subject that has been covered in depth on there. Just using my memory just a few ordinary coaches were repainted blue grey, these included a couple of Hawksworths and some Stanier Porthole brake second corridors. All other stock was catering, sleeping, mail or parcels coaches.

Thanks for that info Phil & Clive. I did do a search on here for the subject but I obviously didn't ask the question in the right way as the link that Phil has mentioned didn't come up but now I've found that I'll follow that one. And I'll have a look at that yahoo group as well although I have noticed that on the thread there are links to what I presume is Robert Carol's Flickr pages. I'll have to get the pic scanned that I have of the stanier porthole coach which was published in the March 1967 copy of Model Railway Constructor - A new livery for British Rail

I've posted this image on the thread that Phil had given a link for but I've repeated it here to. A page from the March 1967 Model Railway Constructor - A new livery for British Rail showing an LMS Stanier porthole brake that survived to get BR blue/grey livery

post-5014-0-83534300-1454916979_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Several LMS sleeping cars made in into b/g and ran in dedicated rakes rather than being mixed with BR sleepers.  One ended it days parked on the West Highland Line as a staff mess coach I believe.  At least two Thompson buffets also made it and were normally used on the Kings Cross - Cambridge "Buffet Bar Express" workings.  Among Pullman cars the Brighton Belle units all ran in b/g as did the Golden Arrow cars.  It's worth remembering also that some of the pre-nat stock roamed far and wide such as Gresley buffet W9135E which ended its days at Cardiff Canton and often turned up in Cardiff - Portsmouth trains.

Here's the WHL one, whose number I can't make out and failed to record separately, parked in the siding at Bridge of Orchy in August 1976.  Dumped with what appears to be a former Met-Cam Pullman car converted to overnight catering vehicle.

385ee8a0-ba09-4b56-96ee-815edc8a46cd_zps

Edited by Gwiwer

Several LMS sleeping cars made in into b/g and ran in dedicated rakes rather than being mixed with BR sleepers.  One ended it days parked on the West Highland Line as a staff mess coach I believe.  At least two Thompson buffets also made it and were normally used on the Kings Cross - Cambridge "Buffet Bar Express" workings.  Among Pullman cars the Brighton Belle units all ran in b/g as did the Golden Arrow cars.  It's worth remembering also that some of the pre-nat stock roamed far and wide such as Greasily buffet W9135E which ended its days at Cardiff Canton and often turned up in Cardiff - Portsmouth trains.

Here's the WHL one, whose number I can't make out and failed to record separately, parked in the siding at Bridge of Orchy in August 1976.  Dumped with what appears to be a former Met-Cam Pullman car converted to overnight catering vehicle.

385ee8a0-ba09-4b56-96ee-815edc8a46cd_zps

as http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmscoach/e37460bee

Most of the SR EMU's that survived in to the mid-60's were repainted into BR blue, although few (if any?) made it into blue/grey. e.g 4 SUB, 2 BIL, 4COR. and of course, the ex LPTB Vec and Tis units of the IOW, which did get a blue/grey livery for sure.

Didn't some ex-LMS sleepers make it into blue grey and some of the ex-LMS 50ft BGs definitely did. You could also include some of the Pullman stock although I'm not sure if it was just the Brighton Belle

At least one LMS sleeper was sitting in poor external condition in a siding at Horsted Keynes on the Bluebell Railway when I visited in 1999. It was in BR blue and grey.

• RMweb Premium

I've posted this image on the thread that Phil had given a link for but I've repeated it here to. A page from the March 1967 Model Railway Constructor - A new livery for British Rail showing an LMS Stanier porthole brake that survived to get BR blue/grey livery

That would make a nice model...special edition maybe?

Assuming that there is already a model of this in a more conventional livery.

• 8 months later...

M614M in use as a staff accommodation vehicle at Bedford

M614M - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/6423328875/

M30202M in use on the Lincoln - Crewe mail circuit

M30302M – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5890752066/

LMS full brake

M31024 – http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5890753494/

Edited by johnw1

• 1 year later...