Ebor Group of Railway Modellers - 5th Annual Show, Sat 20th - Sun 21st February 2016

steve1

Ebor Group of Railway Modellers - 5th Annual Show
Sat 20th February 2016 - Sun 21st February 2016
Heworth Church Hall, Melrose Gate, York, North Yorkshire YO31 0RP
OPENING TIMES: SAT 10.00am - 17.00pm SUN 10.00am - 16.30pm
ADMISSION: Adults £3.00 Children £1.00

8 layouts, trade stands 2nd hand stand, plus photo display by Paul Bartlett.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly all set up, some nice looking layouts and the ladies from York against Cancer are all set up with the refreshments.

The secondhand stall has an amazing amount of stuff. We only started this show when we had to give up the 2nd hand stall that the club ran at the big Easter show, because we couldn't get enough stuff. Well no such problem this year!

If you come, please buy a tombola ticket, we share all the proceeds with YAC. A local show, with a local charity.

Photographs of setting up http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/eborexhibition2016

Paul Bartlett

After a good day I have posted more photos at http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/eborexhibition2016

Surprisingly (to me) Grosmont Bookshop have a copy of an Illustrated history of BR wagons vol 1 for £35 (still there after close tonight). Considerably cheaper than the £17.95 when it was new in 1983! Out of vanity I always look for this and it is the first time I've seen one on a sales stand at a show, despite a print run of 3000. [i see there is one on abebooks for £50.

Paul

Nice layouts, but as I put on my feedback form last year, this needs to be held in a venue twice the size.

I couldn't get near the second hand stand, as there were too many people and the 'cafe' tables were in the way. I was ready to spend money but didn't. 

I couldn't get a coffee and a bun, as the tables were all full and being crowded by people staffing/looking at the second hand stall. I was ready to be spend money but couldn't.

As I was leaving I was ready to buy a tombola ticket, but the guy staffing that table was completely baffled by me offering him money. Apparently I was supposed to buy on my way in, but wasn't told that at the time. I was ready to spend money but didn't.

The PA used for announcements was also a joke. I was standing right next to it and couldn't make out a word that was said.

This little exhibition has so much potential, but the way that it's organised really lets it down in my opinion.

I'll be walking around today - if you spot a person wearing a Middleton Railway staff fleece that will be me!

I did spot you AMJ. When I was behind my layout Duncan's Mine 2 :sungum:

Enjoyed the show and pleased with the comments made by various viewers. Also pleased to answer the may questions asked. Some from modellers and some from public. In the past at shows, I've found that there is one question that asked a lot, like a theme. Interestingly it isn't always the same question but different at every exhibition. This show's regular query was "Why did you choose the location for the layout?" (Upper Peninsula, Michigan, in case you're wondering.) Answer - I wanted a location that had a lot of (non-coal) mining and the UP fitted the bill nicely.

steve

Nice layouts, but as I put on my feedback form last year, this needs to be held in a venue twice the size.

I couldn't get near the second hand stand, as there were too many people and the 'cafe' tables were in the way. I was ready to spend money but didn't. 

I couldn't get a coffee and a bun, as the tables were all full and being crowded by people staffing/looking at the second hand stall. I was ready to be spend money but couldn't.

As I was leaving I was ready to buy a tombola ticket, but the guy staffing that table was completely baffled by me offering him money. Apparently I was supposed to buy on my way in, but wasn't told that at the time. I was ready to spend money but didn't.

The PA used for announcements was also a joke. I was standing right next to it and couldn't make out a word that was said.

This little exhibition has so much potential, but the way that it's organised really lets it down in my opinion.

Sorry you had problems. If you know of an affordable, larger venue near to the centre of York then we would love to hear it. Believe us, we have looked damn hard, but the only ones are in central York and their rental prices are simply stupid. But then we would also love a larger, ground floor club room -  a a pious hope in a city that makes housing in Greater London look reasonably priced!

As it is we want this to be a small show for local people (lots of nursery school age today) but we also need a profit. The big York show had to move out of central York and has never recovered - attendance is pathetic compared to the days when it was in central York venues, one of which is now a very large Pizzeria!  As it was a considerable number of people did manage to spend money on the 2nd hand stall, we know it is a compromise but the cafe seating is very important because we want York Against Cancer to earn plenty of money from their refreshment operation.

If anyone is interested I have posted some more pictures at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/eborexhibition2016

Paul Bartlett

And Yes I totally agree about the PA!

Archived