an S2 Class Hornby conversion

colmflanagan

This is a recent loco outshopped here.  GNRI S2 No 190 "Lugnaquilla" had a unique tender, apparently created for an experiment with the "Enterprise" . She was a regular visitor to Londonderry Foyle Road station where this model now lives. It's a  conversion from an elderly Hornby R450 model, so the usual caveats about  accuracy apply. (Do not compare this too closely with the other "S" class featured on this site recently...)

I had the driving wheels turned by "Scalespeed" which allows her to run without maing a leap into the air on Peco Code 100 double slips! Actually, she's a good runner, reasonably powerful and very very fast!

https://youtu.be/wHPg3i41aF8

Colm 

Do not compare this too closely with the other "S" class featured on this site recently..

I think It's horses for courses, really. Your model looks well and runs well. Working to 16.5mm gauge there's the advantage of being able to use a known reliable mechanism with little or no modification, saving a lot of time and effort. The same thing applies to your excellent Jeep & Mogul conversions.

Taking this approach it will also be much quicker to produce a layout using commercially available track - such as your own layouts, or Kirley's. These do give a really good impression of what Irish Railways were like.

On the other hand, working to 21mm gauge and / or scratchbuilding stuff, while hopefully producing very accurate models, does mean that most things will take much, much longer.

Alan

.....working to 21mm gauge and / or scratchbuilding stuff, while hopefully producing very accurate models, does mean that most things will take much, much longer.

Sometimes, it's not about the model that comes out at the end of the work, but the journey to get there.

All very true, gentlemen. I suppose I decided that i wanted to run a varied range of UTA stock and trains with 5-6 coaches or cars, so needed to be able to produce them reasonably quickly - it has taken 15 years to build up to the stock list for either "Killagan" or "Bleach Green" where we try to represent most of the types seen in the 50s and 60s. Actually I find I don;t work as fast as I used to,- age I suppose. 

But ultimately, for all of us, this hobby provides a range of pleasures, from planning, building, to running, all of which bring their own pleasures; Just looking at a "scene" you've  built can be deeply satisfying. I suspect the one thing I'll never do railwaywise, is buy a special loco or whatever and keep it in its box! So if anyone ever buys anything from me, it will have been run, and pulled a train on my SCDR - even if it has been built to order!!

Colm

Nice work Colm. The UTA Leyland PD2 bus in eau de nil livery I assume is a repaint,what donor vehicle did you use and what paint did you use for it as it looks spot on. Hopefully you will have it on Bleech Green at Glasgow so I can get a good look at it,along with the Harlandic,as I have been hoping to build one myself for many years and a few tips from your own build would not go a miss.

Nice work Colm. The UTA Leyland PD2 bus in eau de nil livery I assume is a repaint,what donor vehicle did you use and what paint did you use for it as it looks spot on. Hopefully you will have it on Bleech Green at Glasgow so I can get a good look at it,along with the Harlandic,as I have been hoping to build one myself for many years and a few tips from your own build would not go a miss.

The one you can see most of is a conversion - I will have to have a look and see what is was - it is OK but the front looks wrong as it is curved inward. The other is a "proper" Jim Poots resin model; if I get time I'll put up a pic of them both for you. If I remember (still lots to do before then!) i'll try and bring them to AMRSS in Glasgow and if you make yourself known to us at the Bleach Green stand, we can have a chat about UTA buses and H&W diesels.

Colm..

Archived