BRM Poll - April Issue - kitbuilding

Andy Y

Kitbuilding  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you build locomotive or rolling stock kits?

• Never
    • Occasionally
    • A few each year
    • I always have a kit on the go
    • I only build kits

• RMweb Premium

As I can't solder well, and can't seem to improve, brass kits will be a no-no to me.

So as an earlier poster replied, this poll would look very different for me:

Loco Kits:   NEVER

Carriage Kits: I put brass sides onto RTR and then detail.   No full brass builds.

Wagon/van kits:  Yes I make half a dozen a year (and always finish them).  Plastic and 3D  printed.

I model the LMS from 1923-1935 with a leaning to the LNWR engines and rolling stock, as there is very little in the way of RTR for this period I rely heavily on kits and I get a great deal of satisfaction building and then seeing an engine run. LIving in Australia I would give my eye teeth to have access to the kits Tony Wright is describing, for me the biggest issue is that some of the smaller suppliers have not embraced 21st century technology - internet, PayPal etc.  - scratchbuilding is still a dark art for me but I keep trying.

• RMweb Premium

Agree on your comment anbout internet and Paypal.

Website does not have to be flashy and fantastically intereative.  But it does need to be a shop window capable of communicating outside UK business hours.

I think Wagon kit building is one of the best parts of the hobby for me. You can personalize your own kit builds and there is scope with detailing. However with the way RTR models are advancing so that its now more viable to modify and personalize the RTR items. Still there will always be kits around for those items that aren't available in RTR yet.. and also the modeller who will build everything... 

Jaymes

All my stuff for now is RTR, I do make buildings (scalescenes and some plastic kits) Living overseas, it just isn't convenient (for me anyway). Trying to get paint, decals, other bits and bobs, ordering from different websites or there isn't one at all, time differences.  

Archived