Milford Dock Layout thread

slow8dirty

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Have decided to move the story of Milford dock to the traditional topic thread rather than a blog as my slug like average progress isn't really blog material, Surely a blog by definition is updated more than once every 4months!icon_redface.gif What is on the blog is pretty much a summary of the layout so far and can be found here www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=170

What will follow on here is more of my progress & frustration as and when it happens.

Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt, just followed your link, N is not my thing Im a OO but I do like your layout very much so well done, I will be following with much interest. Is the hairspray yours ?

Regards

Leon

• RMweb Gold

So Insane hours at work and a house move meant no modelling and possibly storage/destruction if a home couldn't be found for the layout. Fortunately portable design was a lesson already learnt and the conservatory seems to be a pleasant enough environment, (couldn't be any worse than the spare room in the cold damp hovel we've just left!) I think a full blown summer will prove if it can cope.

After a long time do nothing I had a little burst of activity determined to get something done.

These are the results.

post-2109-126762708131_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the layout(all 5.5ft scenic)

post-2109-126762720939_thumb.jpg

The 08 takes a breather from shunting the nearby docks.

post-2109-126762729887_thumb.jpg

ATW 150/2 rolls in on the 1850 from Cardiff Central

post-2109-126762772642_thumb.jpg

A distant shot shows up a scenic FUBAR oh dearrolleyes.gif

post-2109-126762781522_thumb.jpg

A less than perfect shot as it gets underway to Manchester Picadilly(not much fun in a 150) greenery and fencing still to happen in the background

So the first shot show that things are starting to come to fruition IMHO. And the shot of the 08 is an area Im growing happy with, more details to add,shed to be painted and general grunging to be done but happy.

The first shot of the Arriva 150 i think really shows how n gauge has come on in leaps and bounds. Unfinished scenics and a cameraman that can't take pictures for toffee and the unit still looks greatbiggrin.gif

However the next shot shows a big problem caused by a combination of haste and a lack of time plus a healthy dose of cackhandedness! In a moment of sheer stupidity i though I could get 2 completely different Gaugemaster backscenes to blend in to each other. Now while I did manange to blend in the clouds across the two sheets the different shades ARE NOT.

In my defence I managed it at the opposite end. but something drastic will have to be done to remedy it at this end

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, just followed your link, N is not my thing Im a OO but I do like your layout very much so well done, I will be following with much interest. Is the hairspray yours ?

Regards

Leon

Thanks Leon, the hairspray is mine, very cheap scenic cement, however I did get the missus to actually buy it once I'd fully explained what it was for and put her mind at at easeicon_lol.gif

Hi Stubby thats why I chose Wales, makes it easy to do field research in between filmingwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt - I always thought West Wales would be a good location, I had ideas based in late 80's between Llanelli & Carmarthen when there was still coal, postal, fertiliser, Speedlink & MOD traffic as well as the oil tank flows. Didn't have the space for a full tank train in OO though so I continued musing! I'm glad you've got some progress, the modern N gauge stuff is much better now & allows the realistic train sizes.

.....the conservatory seems to be a pleasant enough environment, ..... I think a full blown summer will prove if it can cope.

What makes you think we'll get a good summer ? laugh.gif I decided to build a small scenic board in our conservatory, just because the worktop is a useful size & it's much better light than the loft. Iwill also hope it doesn't get too hot.....

Nice to see a layout based on a place in pembrokeshire, its the first one ive seen. I live in pembroke dock not far from milford and have been trying for a while to get started on a layout, possibly something from whitland the pembroke dock line. Same old story can never decided what I want to do.

Keep up the good work.

Dean

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

CALLING TIME ON MILFORD DOCK!

Oh the fickle minds of railway modellers!

I never thought when I moved this thread over from my blog I'd be making this post but changes are afoot, Having won a Hornby voucher in last years raffle I was planning a small excursion into OO, so for my birthday back in March I received some OO stock suitable for a North Devon blue diesel mini. What I didn't plan for was the sheer childlike delight I got from the bulk and detail on a pair of Mk1 coaches. Then what happens, Bachmann announces two perfect S&D locos just before I go away to sea for 7 weeks! Cue plenty of time for planning, looks like my username will match my modelling again!

What this means for Milford Dock is that I just haven't got the mojo to complete the last 20% or so of scenic work required. With 2 new layouts on the way over the next few years its going to have to go either to the great layout room in the sky or preferably to a new owner if anyone wants to finish off a nearly complete, (decidely average layout), with their own personal style. Not sure if I'll just ebay it as a part built layout or offer it up on here for a token amount to cover some of the electrics. A lot of N gauge stock to shift over the next few weeks, will definitely fund the move up a scale.

Milford dock has taught me a hell of a lot and as a first attempt I'm happy with what I've acheived, but i want to, and think I can do better next time round and in a bigger scale.

Cheers all for the encouragement and help on here over the years, you know who are(Everyone!)

Cheers.Matt

• 2 weeks later...

That's a shame, i really liked how this layout was coming along!

Do keep us informed of what you decide to do with the layout, as I myself may be quite interested in purchasing it (just the layout)

best wishes, and i'm not sure i'd consider work of this standard to be "average"

Archived