Bachmann 08 cab

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone could add any tips to remove the cab on a Bachmann 08 body please?

Reason I ask is the Windows have fallen out and are battling around the in the cab and I want to re fit

I can get the body off the chassis ok but struggling to get the cab off and hoping there might be a tip

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I just wondered if anyone could add any tips to remove the cab on a Bachmann 08 body please?

Reason I ask is the Windows have fallen out and are battling around the in the cab and I want to re fit

I can get the body off the chassis ok but struggling to get the cab off and hoping there might be a tip

Thanks

Mark

You have to gently ease out the lower front edge of the cab away from the main body - both sides at the same time. There is a lug that holds the cab to the bonnet. Then the cab slides upwards in relation to the bonnet.

Cheers,

Mick

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If you can lay hands on a copy of Model Rail Issue 161, October 2011, you'll find useful illustrations including removal of the cab, in a feature about the 08.

(A search led me back to a post I recalled making in respect of the magazine feature)

Regards,

John

You have to gently ease out the lower front edge of the cab away from the main body - both sides at the same time. There is a lug that holds the cab to the bonnet. Then the cab slides upwards in relation to the bonnet.

The only thing to add is that it may be 'tacked' with paint or cement, but never yet seen one fail to release cleanly. Just in case, the class 20 has the same arrangement.

• Informative/Useful 1

The glazing dropping into the cab of the 08 seems to be a fairly common nark. I've repaired a few of these over the years, and have another sitting waiting to be done. I don't remember the exact procedure, but I remember that it was fairly straightforward. I use a little dab of glue on the ones that I fix to try and prevent a recurrence. It's also as well whilst the cab is apart to make sure all the other glazing is firmly fixed so you don't have to go back in a second time!

Thanks all, I managed to get the cab off, took a couple of mins using the above , I slid a couple of thin pieces of card into each side, wiggled the cab until it started moving

All the windows bar the main front ones had fallen out

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, these are some photos is took when I removed the cab for the same reason! 

1. Prise apart the lugs shown here with a screw driver, be very gentle as they are fragile. I put some old card down the sides to keep them apart! 

IMAG0254.jpg.0c8cff90c5563fbc7a88d645dc238932.jpg

2. Slide the cab upwards and off it comes. SIMPLE! 

IMAG0252.jpg.46188d1e2dba7ded33f4da72ad3a550a.jpg   IMAG0253.jpg.5e539bbb9cb6bee8ef5b6a4577f61da4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2019 at 18:41, Llion said:

1. Prise apart the lugs shown here with a screw driver, be very gentle as they are fragile. I put some old card down the sides to keep them apart! 

IMAG0252.jpg.46188d1e2dba7ded33f4da72ad3a550a.jpg   IMAG0253.jpg.5e539bbb9cb6bee8ef5b6a4577f61da4.jpg

Thanks. Even nearly 2 years later! Just shows how useful this web site is when you need a clue on what turned out to be a relatively easy cab removal. The glazing had popped out but planning to fit directional and cab lights to a pair of Class 20's. Of course I ordered the lighting kits 1 day before Bachmann announced the new 20's (with lighting).

David

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2019 at 18:41, Llion said:

Thanks! I was struggling with the same problem and this was super-useful!

I also had this problem with a blue 08375. It's a common occurrence with older Bachmann models, including BR Type 2s, Peaks and Deltics, and can be very useful if repainting these (I also have a Dapol Class 22 D6318 with fully detached glazing - great, that awful blue needs respraying anyway!) but otherwise it's a bit of a nuisance. The problem appears to stem from internal overspray of the main body colour interfering with the glazing adhesive's grip. Before refitting detached glazing - either deliberate or accidental - I always do a little gentle scraping on the inside surface around the window apertures to hopefully get the glue to 'take' and thus avoid further detachments, as the time taken to repeat a job could be better spent on other things still on my To Do List :D !!