lash

• RMweb Premium

Good point Adrian . He’s a bit fit isn’t he . Not too surprising ,he played centre half for Pompey in the 50s . Pay was less than the £20 a week salary cap as he was never a first team regular . The caravan was bought with the proceeds of a testimonial and it looks like he got hold of some paint from the  Fratton Park stores as well .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Allegedly surely?

To my eyes that paint colour looks more like HM Royal Navy Blue - perhaps liberated from HMNB Portsmouth?

Obviously nicking from RN stores was a sport in 50s and 60s Pompey so that has to be a possibility but the shade here is a tadge light.  Joe was never in the Navy but would I suspect have fitted in well at Whale Island as a gunnery instructor  .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been working on the Dogfish, oh goodness it’s a tricky fiddly build . Fun though even if I hadn’t twigged that Heljan make a Dogfish model . Why does that happen ? I’ve got a Ratio Van B kit and a DC kits 2H stashed both overtaken by wonderful ready to run models .

9AE89F8A-4368-4496-A361-A5D4CD645F32.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Milton Quay is in store for the duration so final bits and bobs will have to wait.

I've decided to put a hold on the Portsea Town revamp for the moment. It will be part of a gig railway room tail chaser one day but not yet.

My next project will be Melville Street, a very grubby urban third rail terminus probably something like 

Iain Futers Haymarket in a cutting with late green and early blue emus in mind. Like MQ it will be micro-ish but probably slightly on the large side so I’ll  start the thread in layout topics.

Keep  your distance and keep well modelling chums everywhere.

Edited by lash
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 26/10/2019 at 19:29, lash said:

Keith glad you enjoyed the reference and love your embellishments.

I think I could get into a few cameos with the characters from 60s and 70s radio comedy on the layout )  Maybe Binky Beaumont and Dame Celia Molestrangler and their take on Brief Encounter ( no refreshment room at MQ but maybe a stolen pot of tea and a rock cake at the local Black Cat Cafe   ) or Jules and Sandy escaping the drudgery of the Balls Pond Road for a bona day out at the seaside.

If there are any young people out there who don’t understand a word of this ......welcome to my world!!

Lash, I might have found where they were "resting" in 1999. It was at Chuffer's Restaurant in Fowey. Most people innocently assumed Chuffer's was named because of the proximity to the old (long-gone) Fowey Railway Station. That was the cover story. Actually I'm told it was, allegedly, the last known hiding place of Chuffer Dandridge, the well-known and permanent-resting Shakespearean Actor Manager.

Our luvvies loved the excuse they were researching parts for a film of a Daphne du Maurier novel. They could look across the river and see Daphne du Maurier's house "Ferryside" at Bodinnick. Which is about as close as they ever got to a paid part.

Chuffer made a brief appearance on Terry Wogan's radio show in 2007.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s been a quiet two years at Milton Quay and the layout is in its new home.

There are a few things to sort and fix but the engineers are in evidence and possibly wondering where the locals have stashed the canopy and signal, presumably before delivery to the local scrap merchants.

FBF1A5AB-72FB-4C36-9FA1-8B857F0C0559.jpeg.bfa1fffc79522a7cd80ca698d166ea4e.jpegD891617E-BAB4-4CA1-8DCC-F767616A49E4.jpeg.3c3350b02c8217ee1a5d3fdcc64bf22d.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lash said:

the engineers are in evidence and possibly wondering where the locals have stashed the canopy and signal, presumably before delivery to the local scrap merchants.

Err, has CPO Pertwee been seen in the vicinity again?

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Err, has CPO Pertwee been seen in the vicinity again?

You got it. One signal surplus scrap for the use of. Cash sale of course ten bob a hundredweight in old money. 

• RMweb Premium

Scrap items found under a pile of tarpaulins adjacent to the berth of a disreputable tug owned by Nunky Pertwee’s sometime uncle. Pertwee AWOL with matelot fuzz in persuit but no doubt he will  end up smelling of roses without a stain on his character.

All back in place now and tried some running with a pre tops western feel. All fine on half the layout but two of four sections dead so some investigations to be done. Electrics on MQ so what could possibly go wrong…always something.

860601FF-C62A-4AD2-9CD2-9625E5BEBF70.jpeg.ece616b583a81aa2b48bc2cdc11eb252.jpeg43B78892-49C0-42FB-9C1A-61AF8D097FED.jpeg.fbbb65e508d76f2a73860336f14ae33b.jpeg43B78892-49C0-42FB-9C1A-61AF8D097FED.jpeg.fbbb65e508d76f2a73860336f14ae33b.jpeg0EA7F5F5-375D-422C-B513-7E094587082A.jpeg.f0134cccc8d3d67d6b3e9ffaa7d3cba1.jpegE6E6CF2E-F279-49CE-A024-212303A2A212.jpeg.ded63f86cddd74ed4fca80ba400c4274.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lash said:

it seems the spirit of CPO Pertwee is alive and well and living in Plymouth. 

From a modelling point of view, this is excellent news 🙂

The modelling of the railway quayside at HMS Hades will certainly feature his exploits. That's the ultra-top secret base in Plymouth, underneath the Mount Wise cricket pitch. Turn left at Stonehouse Bridge.

We may have to recruit some more matelots.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Talk of the devil ... no sooner spoken than proven. I've just spotted some matelots on the loose at HMS Hades quayside station.

image.png.b0d6cf0e329c7fcce37ba0550e30cab9.png

The lovely little resident shunter has just arrived with something for "Senior Naval Stores Officer (SNSO)". But with rumours of CPO Pertwee and Fatso Johnston in the vicinity, we have serious doubts whether the OIC will ever receive that, or whether it really is "purified water only". More likely to be Uisce beatha. And, what's left inside that Arkell's Brewery van remains to be seen.

Those matelots scarpering before the officer notices them just adds to the general impression of mischief on the move

What's the phone number for MoD Plod?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another modelling hiatus but electrics sorted thanks to my new multimeter toy.

Played trains with and engineers train coming and  going and a parcels arriving and being shunted. All early 70s stock.

There are derailment issues with the slidey cassettes to be sorted but fun had.

53DDE7E8-B432-4DD7-9720-185518E94FCE.jpeg

0555433C-418D-43AD-915E-8BA7948F1F9D.jpeg

258F90E2-FCDA-45AB-9C13-01FE56DD29BF.jpeg

• Like 4