Whipton Bridge, modern image based in Devon

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

well here i am again with yet another layout idea. im sure many of you will be getting fed up by now:rolleyes:. since i wont be carrying on with wadebridge i decided on sticking firmly with modern image. it will be based in the present day in Devon. thanks for taking the time to look and i hope to progress with it asap.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 34008Padstow

Well ive decided that the layout will be based on the Exmouth branch but i will be using modellers licence. so it will be a double track two platform through station called Whipton Bridge. i already have an FGW Pacer, 142068, with exmouth and paigton destination blinds. i will try and get some pics up soon

Guest 34008Padstow

thats news to me. ive chosen the area around polsloe as ive seen some pics of it that make it look like somewhere with some good modelling potential. i will try and get some more pics up soon

Not likely to happen any time soon, but it was proposed as a way to improve public transport to the met office - I suspect if they did it there would be issues with serving all of the stops with a half hour service on the existing infrastructure, so a bit of double track could be do-able?

"Whipton", "Polsloe" and "exmouth" in the search on my site should bring up some pics of the area (assuming Fotopic's search is working all right!) - i've often thought Polsloe Bridge would make a nice diorama-style scene

Guest 34008Padstow

Cheers martyn, i shall have a look. btw is exmouth junction still open, i seen a pic of a stone train on a google search. it would give me an excuse for some extra traffic

EJ has been used since privatisation as a temporary stone terminal, but it's not had regular use unfortunately - the OTP depot which was there has closed, ops wise EJ is basically a junction plus a turnback siding these days.

There used to be an active military base down the line (south of Digby & Sowton but North of the site of the M5 bridge) till the 1980s, the location was called "Newcourt" - might be a possible traffic source?

It also serves the commando base, but AFAIK there was never a freight connection there.

The line had an overnight RHTT working booked last autumn as well, T&T class 66's - and T&T 66's aren't unknown on engineers trains either (although not while the line is open to passengers!)

Guest 34008Padstow

Work will be starting on the second board in the next day or so and instead of having a bridge i was thinking of substituting it for a double track level crossing. what do you think. would it look acceptabe

Archived