NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Re Start about Aug 2016

If this is the first time you have looked at North Road, and your wondering why from page 19 all has changed, well that's because I've had a change of direction, (a crisis as my mate puts it) but still wanted to retain the Depot part of the Layout name and Depot itself, (although the Shed has also been moved), but I've now moved on to Phase 2 and changed it to a Roundy / Roundy.

Also at this time my passion for what I remember has returned. I first got into Railways, real and model in 1977 and so it was the Blue Era, then it progressed through Railfreight to EWS. That is all I know as far as infrastructure etc goes so it's what I have gone back to.

I hope the change is O.K. with new readers, if not, and Steam is your preferred thing, then just read up to page 18 / 19 or so where you will find some nice Stream era shots and a couple of Videos, Steam will still feature in the revised Plan but not to such a large extent.

Started Feb 2016

After really enjoying West Shed, I thought it was about time I started a proper Shed Layout on the opposite side of my Old Potting Shed to Pencarne.

post-9335-0-04655800-1470986697_thumb.png

PHASE 1

North Road is a re write of Somerset & Dorset history in so much as the line never closed, and North Road is based on Bath Shed, BUT NOT A COPY in any way shape or form.

PLEASE NOTE, THIS TRACK PLAN CHANGED ON PAGE 16 /  Aug 2016 WITH THE ADVENT OF PHASE 2

post-9335-0-97892300-1467442835_thumb.png

This gives me the opportunity to run my Ex Southern Bulleids, Ex Midlands Black 5's, Jubilee's etc as well as the BR Standards, it will also have some Western Region Hydraulics making appearances.

I've purchased the Townstreet Engine Shed and that just needs making over the next few weeks.

post-9335-0-41646300-1455312476_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56600100-1455312574_thumb.jpg

And once completed it SHOULD all being well, look something like this,(BUT with strait Chimneys) well that's the plan anyway.

post-9335-0-01239600-1455312422_thumb.jpg

As I say the Motive Power will consist of Bulleids.

post-9335-0-33112000-1455312726_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08200600-1455312799_thumb.jpg

Black 5's, Jubilee's

post-9335-0-45152700-1455312943_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34167400-1455313120_thumb.jpg

Some Standards.

post-9335-0-35050600-1455313227_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01767400-1455313390_thumb.jpg

And the Hydraulics.

post-9335-0-08722200-1455313508_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08945800-1455313544_thumb.jpg

Loads to do, so I must get going.

Phase 2 will start late 2016, (now page 16)

Dr Beaching had announced in the House of Commons last week that the Somerset and Dorset line will close next year, but in a surprise move the Bill has been halted in it's tracks. the Line will remain open but Bath Green Park will Close. Instead a new link will be formed from South of Bath to South East of Bitton, and the new chord will have its own Station Named North Road to serve the Line from Bournemouth to the Midlands and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction.

post-9335-0-16406500-1471248825_thumb.png

Track was lifted today in North Road Depot ready to allow room for the new Main Lines to pass the Western side of the Shed and Turntable.

post-9335-0-15131600-1471032462_thumb.png

A Bus service will operate until the Spring 2017.

Hi,

Looks like a really good plan to operate with plenty of movements around that shed, which also looks rather fantastic too (I haven't seen that kit before),

Good luck with it,

Gary

Thanks Gary, Its basically modelled on 82G Templecombe, but without the bit behind the Shed, in other words as 82G used to be.

post-9335-0-40228500-1455320175_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I would drop the diesel stuff. The S&D was never set up for diesel locos. They did visit Bath shed but only somewhere to stable them between trains. 

It also may look a bit crowded with a goods shed as well, but the coal yard would add shunting to the scene.

Andy, that set of parts looks like something out of IKEA. Good luck with it.

What?!  The shed is going to take a few weeks to make?

You slowing down?

Looking forward to this Andy!

Best wishes

Nige

Derek

Thanks Nige, Bogie and Derek, I've made a start on the Shed this morning pics in a mo.

Hi Andy

I would drop the diesel stuff. The S&D was never set up for diesel locos. They did visit Bath shed but only somewhere to stable them between trains. 

It also may look a bit crowded with a goods shed as well, but the coal yard would add shunting to the scene.

Cheers Clive, as I said, I've assumed the S & D lived on a bit and so Diesels will visit for Fuel, Stabling and maybe light Maintenance.

The Goods Shed will be Low Relief and I've changed / shortened the other Road in front of the Shed, (see first post) so that it's now leaving room for Vehicles / BR Lorries, and also has an end Loading Dock.

The Yard Crane may also be moved to this Road once the Track Laying commences..

This will be an interesting layout to operate agree about no diesels Townstreet are high quality kits I have built quite a few go together well and look good as well  the chap who started them was really nice chap  .

Morning, Yes my mate Lee recommended them, he's built several in O and OO and he came around the other night to show me a few tricks. he also puts his together with a Hot Glue Gun with just a tack, to start with and then adds more once square.

I've made a start on the painting, and also picked out a few Bricks in a darker Red and Blue.

post-9335-0-99718400-1455363347_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71416300-1455363380_thumb.jpg

Lee came around and we did a test weathering using Magnolia Emulsion Paint as recommended well thinned down like water.

post-9335-0-53852600-1455363468_thumb.jpg

Now I've decided to add a couple of course's of Blue Engineers Brick around the bottom and Lee suggested a few more odd bricks, so I'll do that later.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Looks like another great project to get your teeth into over the coming months.

Sorry I did not get chance to have a natter last weekend at Stafford.

Is North Road being built on a existing board, and if so what has had to make way for the new project.

Or has the potting shed had a extension

Terry

Hi Andy

Looks like another great project to get your teeth into over the coming months.

Sorry I did not get chance to have a natter last weekend at Stafford.

Is North Road being built on a existing board, and if so what has had to make way for the new project.

Or has the potting shed had a extension

Terry

Hi Terry, you all looked busy at the weekend, and its was a superb show as always.

North Road is on the side of the shed where Pencarne Junction Fiddle Yard was when it was a roundy roundy, Now that its just Pencarne, a BLT I have half a shed spare, so I thought well why not have a nice big ish Depot for all my larger Locos.

Between jobs on Pencarne and walking the Dogs this morning I've managed to add the Engineers Blue Brick to the bottom of all the Shed parts, I'll wait for it to dry and then I'll move on to painting the Window and Door Frames.

post-9335-0-92917800-1455373260_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Crickey, speedy Gonzales isn't in it, you knocked half of Pencarne flat and put it up last week, then yesterday a shed yard full of locos. appears just like that! It's nice to know where North Road is if I ever decide to go there.

Love the plan Andy ,will enjoy following it.

Graham

Crickey, speedy Gonzales isn't in it, you knocked half of Pencarne flat and put it up last week, then yesterday a shed yard full of locos. appears just like that! It's nice to know where North Road is if I ever decide to go there.

Hi Andy

Your doing some good work on shed looking forward to watching you progress to the finished article.

Keep up the good work

Hugh

Thanks Graham, Northroader and Hugh, It will be a slow build, but there's no hurry.

He's off again, hahahaha tell me, what are you using to stick it all together with mate ?..

Hi Mate, As I said in post 11, Lee does his with a Hot Glue Gun, just tacking the corners until its right and square.

Looks good Andy especially the shed.

Can we expect the first loco run by Tuesday :jester:

Hi Duncan, Thanks mate but I haven't got all the Points, Track and Pits yet, so it could be Wednesday, but NOT saying which Wednesday, hahhahah

Archived