NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Good luck with the new time period. I started spotting in 1976 at York, Doncaster, Derby, Toton, Newcastle, Darlington, Man' Victoria, Chester, etc all visited on 24 hour roamer tickets over a one week period!!! Those were the days.I have always liked that period, and although my layout is early 60's based, I still have a draw for BR blue, so I know exactly where you're coming from.

All the best

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Well Andy, I miss a day out and what do I come back to?

There we were the other night converting a blue 1987 Lima '33' from DC to DCC and then you go all 'modern'.  Interestingly the main track modification on Deesdale Road was to enable '66s' to run without fouling up on the 3-way point.

I was born during the steam era and well remember a 'little' steam locomotive at the buffers in Victoria Station which Dad said was to help 'push the big train out' when it left on a journey to Herne Bay in 1948.  In 1949 even better out of Waterloo to Swanage and on the way my first sight of the huge Queen liners in Southhampton Docks , a division of the coaches at Wareham and my first sight of Corfe Castle.  Spotting days, usually on the footbridge out of Wimbledon Station but also on the next bridge for shunting, ended in 1953  when a school change involved Saturdays as well as Monday to Friday.  Battle of Britain and West Country were the favourites not to mention the noisy Black 10101 diesels and as any 'steam train' came out from the station we would run to become enveloped in the smoke!  

Please don't sell your steam locos too soon.!

Cheers, Peter

Well Andy, I miss a day out and what do I come back to?

There we were the other night converting a blue 1987 Lima '33' from DC to DCC and then you go all 'modern'.  Interestingly the main track modification on Deesdale Road was to enable '66s' to run without fouling up on the 3-way point.

I was born during the steam era and well remember a 'little' steam locomotive at the buffers in Victoria Station which Dad said was to help 'push the big train out' when it left on a journey to Herne Bay in 1948.  In 1949 even better out of Waterloo to Swanage and on the way my first sight of the huge Queen liners in Southhampton Docks , a division of the coaches at Wareham and my first sight of Corfe Castle.  Spotting days, usually on the footbridge out of Wimbledon Station but also on the next bridge for shunting, ended in 1953  when a school change involved Saturdays as well as Monday to Friday.  Battle of Britain and West Country were the favourites not to mention the noisy Black 10101 diesels and as any 'steam train' came out from the station we would run to become enveloped in the smoke!  

Please don't sell your steam locos too soon.!

Cheers, Peter

I'll have to buy all those 60's back from you, hahahah

I've spent today removing Chips and Speakers from some Locos that I will be selling off, mainly Westerns and Warships at the moment.

Also some pics from today, the Freightliner 47 was a spare body I had so I've swapped it for the Blue North Star one until I can get another Heljan Chassis.

Still a lot of detail parts to fit and some serious weathering, I have to say, I'm NOT totally impressed with Bachmanns light powder looking weathering on their Sound 37. Still waiting for the 56 to arrive.

post-9335-0-80342300-1472750510_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-05300100-1472750602_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71857100-1472750620_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16897600-1472750670_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85752500-1472750690_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01858100-1472750710_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14264700-1472750742_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I am looking forward to seeing how you develop this. I spent most of my childhood travelling on the railways, as my parents have never driven. So I remember BR Blue in particular. I have been moving my layout in a similar direction to you. All the best with the developments.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite a bit younger, but my formative years railway wise were 68-80. I did an awful lot if travelling by train from 75 to 80 so blue with a bit of left over green is what does it for me. Sectorisation liveries are a bit too 'modern' for me! I also like my passenger trains with engines on the front and not the back so that limits me too. I can see how you can have a lot of fun with freight and engineer's trains. I have to make do with shunting parcels vans.

All the best in the new venture,

Paul.

Hi Andy,

God strewth I can't keep up, one post says 'must focus' followed closely by change of era! No wonder my head hurts. Pity your blue stock is TOPS as you know I'm after 'D' prefix stuff. I do like North Road regardless so keep up the swapping ​good work :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

God strewth I can't keep up, one post says 'must focus' followed closely by change of era! No wonder my head hurts. Pity your blue stock is TOPS as you know I'm after 'D' prefix stuff. I do like North Road regardless so keep up the swapping ​good work :jester:

Hi Mike

He might make up his mind one day. :dontknow:  Won't life become boring then. :declare:  :no2: :no2:

I am looking forward to seeing how you develop this. I spent most of my childhood travelling on the railways, as my parents have never driven. So I remember BR Blue in particular. I have been moving my layout in a similar direction to you. All the best with the developments.

Mike

I'm quite a bit younger, but my formative years railway wise were 68-80. I did an awful lot if travelling by train from 75 to 80 so blue with a bit of left over green is what does it for me. Sectorisation liveries are a bit too 'modern' for me! I also like my passenger trains with engines on the front and not the back so that limits me too. I can see how you can have a lot of fun with freight and engineer's trains. I have to make do with shunting parcels vans.

All the best in the new venture,

Paul.

Thanks Mike and Paul, both for your support and input.

Hi Andy,

Hi Mike, I'm keeping the Blues, they will run right up to Sectorisation, and I love em. 

It will be FUN mate.

Hi Mike

He might make up his mind one day. :dontknow:  Won't life become boring then. :declare:  :no2: :no2:

Mr M, AS YOU KNOW, I don't do borin mate, a change is as good as a good Curry, and then stand back cos you'll know it happened an hour later.

Green is for Tree huggers, hahah

???????????? :no:  LOST THE PLOT :sungum:

Guest Digital

Really looking forward to seeing how this moves on. This has to be one of the best threads on RMWEB. A bit like a gripping tv program where you just have to tune in to see what's happening next.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Keep up the good work Andy.

Regards John

Really looking forward to seeing how this moves on. This has to be one of the best threads on RMWEB. A bit like a gripping tv program where you just have to tune in to see what's happening next.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Keep up the good work Andy.

Regards John

Thanks John, Good to hear from you.

I wish I knew who the Script Writers were, then maybe even I would know what's coming next, still I enjoy all forms of Railway Modelling as you well know

EDIT = To say, I'm sure there are far better and more structured prototypical Layout Threads on here, but your comments are very kind. Thanks again..

Thanks John, Good to hear from you.

I wish I knew who the Script Writers were, then maybe even I would know what's coming next, still I enjoy all forms of Railway Modelling as you well know

EDIT = To say, I'm sure there are far better and more structured prototypical Layout Threads on here, but your comments are very kind. Thanks again..

Play it by ear Mate, you don't need script writers ? just build whatever comes to mind...

Thanks George, yes I keep looking at Kingsmill but realised yesterday that a copy ''K'' would only work with a proper Fiddle Yard OR a large Yard like Bescot / Eastleigh to keep feeding it. If you think of the area behind the Station at Eastleigh, most of the stuff in that Yard came down from the bigger Yard to the North which is how ''K'' was planned and run.
I would also like more areas of interest to serve this time, rather than just the Ballast Siding, I would like a small Oil Discharge Terminal, like the one I remember from the Alton line, a Steel Warehouse and Siding like Mick Bryan has on New Bryford, and possibly a small Cement unloading facility as Nigel Crow has on Melangose, and of course a small two Road Engineers Yard. All these things would also give me the Shunting I need as well as interesting Train make-ups, but I'm also aware of over crowding it.
I found a plan last night, it looked interesting, then I turned it upside down and drew it out, it then made even more sense, I then added the Cement and Engineers Yard's and it all came together like a Jigsaw. I won't show the plan until I have empty boards and can lay down some track and physically see whether it will work or not.

There is talk of maybe the Turntable coming out, but again I will leave that until I have a clear room.

There will probably be  a Road Bridge beyond the Depot and this will be Spitfire Road.

What's this, he's changed his mind! I don't remember this happening before  :no:

Cheers Will, how's life in Pasty Land mate, .......me.......changed my mind,    surly not, hahah,, just moving on..........a bit. :O

• RMweb Premium

Mr M, AS YOU KNOW, I don't do borin mate, a change is as good as a good Curry, and then stand back cos you'll know it happened an hour later.

Green is for Tree huggers, hahah

???????????? :no:  LOST THE PLOT :sungum:

Lookie 'ere Mr P, all cos some of us a gentle plodders with a long term aim and not like you don't mean a fing. :nono:

What's with the tree hugger bit, with a 'air cut like mine no way can I be a hippie. :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

I can see where Andy is coming from (and not just north of Watford Gap :jester:).

I've tried to build a number of "locations" into my current 4mm layout to enhance the shuntability but I'm beginning to wonder if I have gone too far down that road and over egged the cake so to speak.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if trying to operate too much of a large size layout oneself at the same time is the reason why I've tended to stagnate and then scrap every layout that I've started. On the other hand it could be that me and scenery don't mix!

I know that I want the randomness of the real railway in my freight traffic and I want a degree of unscripted/unplanned/delayed workings to defeat the repetitiveness whilst recognising that I need a basic plan. Can both of these be achieved when you're the person that despatches the train from the fiddle yard (so you know the make-up and determine the order of the despatch) and the station yard master at the receiving end?

It might seem a deviation from Andy's thread but I wonder if this has some bearing on Andy's difficulty in finding his ultimate solution?

I can see where Andy is coming from (and not just north of Watford Gap :jester:).

I've tried to build a number of "locations" into my current 4mm layout to enhance the shuntability but I'm beginning to wonder if I have gone too far down that road and over egged the cake so to speak.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if trying to operate too much of a large size layout oneself at the same time is the reason why I've tended to stagnate and then scrap every layout that I've started. On the other hand it could be that me and scenery don't mix!

I know that I want the randomness of the real railway in my freight traffic and I want a degree of unscripted/unplanned/delayed workings to defeat the repetitiveness whilst recognising that I need a basic plan. Can both of these be achieved when you're the person that despatches the train from the fiddle yard (so you know the make-up and determine the order of the despatch) and the station ###### yard master at the receiving end?

It might seem a deviation from Andy's thread but I wonder if this has some bearing on Andy's difficulty in finding his ultimate solution?

Hi Ray, Thanks for your input, I've re read it several times and can really see what your talking about, it makes so much sense, thanks you.

Archived