NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

Good day with Peter BB at Ruddington today, but Jeff, (Binny) and I had to leave at 15.30 due to other commitments this evening. SL ran well and it was good to hear the Blue stock chuntering about the Yard.

I did pick up another Blue item before the Show opened ready for the North Road re-build, and that was a Blue / Grey 108 Two Car Unit, in as new mint and boxed condition, and going for a song, It would have been rude to walk past it without emptying my wallet.

Larry, (Coachman) wanted to hear some Howes Sounds so I did a short Video that took 6 and a half hours to download onto You Tube, it's not brilliant but here it is.

You will hear 8F, 9F, Ivatt 2MT, Black 5, Std 4 and 5.

And for those that missed the two West Country's on Pencarne I will repeat them here as they will be running on North Road.

Dr Beaching had announced in the House of Commons last week, (now see correction below) that the Somerset and Dorset line will close next year, but in a surprise move the Bill has been halted in it's tracks. the Line will remain open but Bath Green Park will Close. Instead a new link will be formed from South of Bath to South East of Bitton, and the new chord will have its own Station Named North Road to serve the Line from Bournemouth to the Midlands and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction.

Track was lifted today in North Road Depot ready to allow room for the new Main Lines to pass the Western side of the Shed and Turntable.

post-9335-0-05498000-1470988259_thumb.png

A Bus service will operate until the Spring of next Year.

• RMweb Premium

Dr Beaching had announced in the House of Commons last week that the Somerset and Dorset line will close next year, but in a surprise move the Bill has been halted in it's tracks. the Line will remain open but Bath Green Park will Close. Instead a new link will be formed from South of Bath to South East of Bitton, and the new chord will have its own Station Named North Road to serve the Line from Bournemouth to the Midlands and Avonmouth Docks via the Mangotsfield Junction.

Track was lifted today in North Road Depot ready to allow room for the new Main Lines to pass the Western side of the Shed and Turntable.

attachicon.gifRevised Plan.png

A Bus service will operate until the Spring of next Year.

Dear Mr Peters

I have noticed a slight error in your story. The good Doctor would not have been allowed to announce anything in the House of Commons. He was not a Member of Parliament, it would have been the then minister of transport who would have done the announcement.  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy: 

Dear Mr Peters

I have noticed a slight error in your story. The good Doctor would not have been allowed to announce anything in the House of Commons. He was not a Member of Parliament, it would have been the then minister of transport who would have done the announcement.  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

Agh, so Essex Man is awake then, ahahhah :no:

Thanks Clive. :sungum:  :onthequiet:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Coaling platforms were very labour intensive and tended only to remain at places like branch line sheds were coaling the tank loco took place once a day. Most sheds the size of North Road would have at least a coal stage, these took up quite a bit of space by the time you have the ramp for the wagons to go up. Apart form the GWR the other railways tried to mdernise their loco servicing which coaling was part of. How about going all modern and have a coaling tower, only need a small one like the Superquick one, and the beauty is it would not take up much space but look impressive. :good:

Hi Andy

Coaling platforms were very labour intensive and tended only to remain at places like branch line sheds were coaling the tank loco took place once a day. Most sheds the size of North Road would have at least a coal stage, these took up quite a bit of space by the time you have the ramp for the wagons to go up. Apart form the GWR the other railways tried to mdernise their loco servicing which coaling was part of. How about going all modern and have a coaling tower, only need a small one like the Superquick one, and the beauty is it would not take up much space but look impressive. :good:

Thanks Clive but I don't like Superquick card / paper ones, besides what I want is a similar idea to that used on 82G / Templecombe.

post-9335-0-82574400-1471032757_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89113900-1471032854_thumb.jpg

Having had another look this morning, I would have needed to add about 4 inches to the width of the board to accommodate the Platform, so I have decided that the Station will probably go on the other side of the Shed, what this has meant is that I can add a Loco Storage Road off the Turntable that will hold about 7 Locos.

post-9335-0-57622900-1471093030_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Having had another look this morning, I would have needed to add about 4 inches to the width of the board to accommodate the Platform, so I have decided that the Station will probably go on the other side of the Shed, what this has meant is that I can add a Loco Storage Road off the Turntable that will hold about 7 Locos.

attachicon.gifMAIN PLAN - Copy - Copy.png

This is slow evolving into Bottom Bitton come Pencarne Junction mk76 :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Having had another look... I have decided that the Station will probably go on the other side of the Shed

When I first read that I thought you meant the locomotive shed and I couldn't see how that works as the window is there. Was after I moved to another thread I realised you meant potting shed!!

Clearly, I need more sleep

Looking forward to seeing it progress 

Kind regards, Neil 

This is slow evolving into Bottom Bitton come Pencarne Junction mk76 :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Yes Clive, Bitton is almost the next Station up the Line from North Road, so similarities will exist, as will a likeness to Pen Jct. but with more facilities. There will not be a Fiddle Yard, it will be an open Goods Yard / Marshalling Yard as Ken Payne has done with his Kendale and Colby O Gauge Layout, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Igx0v84_I .

Other inspiration has also come from a fellow modeller here on R M Web with; On Shenston Road, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-from-the-lineside/ yet another classic.

• RMweb Gold

When I first read that I thought you meant the locomotive shed and I couldn't see how that works as the window is there. Was after I moved to another thread I realised you meant potting shed!!

Clearly, I need more sleep

Looking forward to seeing it progress 

Kind regards, Neil

Does that mean you thought that he meant the other side of the shed that is in the shed rather than the other side of the shed that has the shed in it?!!!

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Does that mean you thought that he meant the other side of the shed that is in the shed rather than the other side of the shed that has the shed in it?!!!

Paul.

Andy could have a shed, in a shed, in a shed :sungum:

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/32-980_1047028_Qty1_4.jpg

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/l.aspx?k=1040346

post-16423-0-14297000-1471129005.jpg

Archived