NORTH ROAD

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I know this is going against the grain but I love the Duchess.  I hope the new owner treats her with the respect she deserves.

Believe it or not I am related to the man who first published the Bradford Daily Telegraph in July 1868 - he was my GGG Grandfather's brother.

My GG Grandfather travelled to England in the 1890's to be trained in the printing and newspaper business.  He spent seven years in Bradford and according to my rather snobbish great aunts was "apparently dismayed by the climate and the poverty."

I know this is going against the grain but I love the Duchess.  I hope the new owner treats her with the respect she deserves.

Believe it or not I am related to the man who first published the Bradford Daily Telegraph in July 1868 - he was my GGG Grandfather's brother.

My GG Grandfather travelled to England in the 1890's to be trained in the printing and newspaper business.  He spent seven years in Bradford and according to my rather snobbish great aunts was "apparently dismayed by the climate and the poverty."

Absolutely agree with you 100%, The Duchess, be it in LMS Black with Straw lining, LMS Crimson Lake, BR Green, or Maroon all look superb. It was one that I really wanted, but with West Shed now gone and NR being more for running, the poor old Duchess had no place on the Layout, seeing it in the box in the cupboard was just money sitting there with little or no satisfaction what so ever. I've turned it into useable cash to allow me to purchase Locos that will be used on NR and that I remember from my spotting days. The first of which is the 20 pictured on the previous page, it will have a stable mate shortly. 

Good news on the airbrush Buddy, they are not that expensive these days, you can get a really good one for under £30, l must have about six in my box and various sized needles / nozzles etc etc, also that Duchess didn't take long to sell...

That Duchess was such a lovely model, it was a shame, but as you know, I'm having a crisis as JB puts it, picked up a couple more Railfreight Vans this evening.

Some re planning on the Yard side, I keep looking at pics of Kingsmill. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

post-9335-0-33764100-1472586714_thumb.jpg

:sungum:

Absolutely agree with you 100%, The Duchess, be it in LMS Black with Straw lining, LMS Crimson Lake, BR Green, or Maroon all look superb. It was one that I really wanted, but with West Shed now gone and NR being more for running, the poor old Duchess had no place on the Layout, seeing it in the box in the cupboard was just money sitting there with little or no satisfaction what so ever. I've turned it into useable cash to allow me to purchase Locos that will be used on NR and that I remember from my spotting days. The first of which is the 20 pictured on the previous page, it will have a stable mate shortly.

Agreed, I have a black LMS Duchess which has no place on my layout hence it now being for sale but saddens me as you say!

North Road, ....................ALL CHANGE.....................Steam...Blues...to...EWS/2005?

And so it came to pass that I'm having a crisis, I have decided to return to Modern Image as well, and re kindle the pleasure I had with Kingsmill, and Deesdale Road.

Kingsmill was my first proper Layout, and the first one that appeared in print, firstly in Model Rail, (Ben Jones's first issue as Editor in 2008) and then in Railway Modeller.

I have enjoyed and still do enjoy the Steam era Layouts, but I keep getting drawn back to the things I remember from my first days of Railway interest at Fratton in 1977 and later at Eastleigh in about 1982 ish when I met George, (GeorgeT) on the Platform, we got chatting and have been firm friends ever since, to todays scene, although I will probably not come quite up to date, probably ending about 2010 ish.
As I have said before, , although being born in 1950, I think I only ever rode behind one Steam Locomotive, and so have no fond or lasting memories of Steam like most people of my age.

The plan will still be similar to the current thinking, the Depot will not change a great deal, but the Layout will be predominantly Freight, I may run the odd DMU but I still have to decide on whether to have a Station or not.

Some more new Motive power should arrive today, so I will start to draw up the new plans.

There will also be a small Name Change, it will be; North Road and ?????? Yard once I find a suitable name.

The last change will be it's location, it will move to the South / Eastleigh area for more 33's.

I hope you stay with me, and enjoy the ride.

The Chandlers Ford line was freight only (apart from diversions which would permit you to run absolutely anything you like) for pretty much the whole period you're looking at, so I guess it could be imagined to be just round the corner there.

Unless you're into modelling stations there's no operational need for one on a roundy.

North Road, ..........................ALL CHANGE.....................Blue to EWS! ...........now permanent!

And so it came to pass that I'm having a crisis, I have decided to return to Modern Image, and re kindle the pleasure I had with Kingsmill, and Deesdale Road.

Kingsmill was my first proper Layout, and the first one that appeared in print, firstly in Model Rail, (Ben Jones's first issue as Editor in 2008) and then in Railway Modeller.

I have enjoyed and still do enjoy the Steam era Layouts, but I keep getting drawn back to the things I remember from my first days of Railway interest at Fratton in 1977 and later at Eastleigh in about 1982 ish when I met George, (GeorgeT) on the Platform, we got chatting and have been firm friends ever since, to todays scene, although I will probably not come quite up to date, probably ending about 2010 ish.As I have said before, , although being born in 1950, I think I only ever rode behind one Steam Locomotive, and so have no fond or lasting memories of Steam like most people of my age.

The plan will still be similar to the current thinking, the Depot will not change a great deal, but the Layout will be predominantly Freight, I may run the odd DMU but I still have to decide on whether to have a Station or not.

Some more new Motive power should arrive today, so I will start to draw up the new plans.

There will also be a small Name Change, it will be; North Road and ?????? Yard once I find a suitable name.

The last change will be it's location, it will move to the South / Eastleigh area for more 33's.

I hope you stay with me, and enjoy the ride.

Ah the text makes sense now. Sorry been away from here for a few days. Have to say Andy looking forward to this even more now and I'm sure it will bring you a lot of pleasure also. Go for it mate.

Ha ha, Nice one Andy.

I was thinking the other day with all the talk of modern stuff that a change might be happening soon. I should have put money on it. It's funny how we always go back to the things we know. More class 33s and no doubt class 37s. Looking fowards to it though I hope you don't sell all your steam stuff you have some nice loco's.

A couple of pics for you mate.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-28576500-1472721850_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88345900-1472721911_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-61914800-1472722024_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-48211400-1472722126_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-12767700-1472722211_thumb.jpg

l have and still have a love for Eastleigh as it was between 1985 - 1995 they were ten years of great memories now sadly all gone, so l know where you are coming from Mate, looking forward to another great layout, good luck....

I've just read your last post with great interest, Andy.

It seems we have a few things in common, born 1950, and you mention 1977 as the beginning of your interest in railways. I built my first layout in 1977.

post-7898-0-33778100-1472721137_thumb.jpg

I still enjoy steam layouts but have never built another steam era layout. 

In the early 80s I modelled BR Blue. Contemporary Modern Image at the time.

post-7898-0-85936900-1472721527.jpg

Kingsmill was one of the layouts that inspired me to move forward to model the 21st century railway scene and this continues to be my main interest.

post-7898-0-86906000-1472722004_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing North Road in it's EWS guise.

Mal -  'moving with the times'

Ah the text makes sense now. Sorry been away from here for a few days. Have to say Andy looking forward to this even more now and I'm sure it will bring you a lot of pleasure also. Go for it mate.

Hi Marcus, well I think it was YOU that started the rot again, also wilh Al on Grindleford, ahahha.

I'm on a roll, hahah.

Ha ha, Nice one Andy.

I was thinking the other day with all the talk of modern stuff that a change might be happening soon. I should have put money on it. It's funny how we always go back to the things we know. More class 33s and no doubt class 37s. Looking fowards to it though I hope you don't sell all your steam stuff you have some nice loco's.

A couple of pics for you mate.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, some really inspirational pics there. I was going to stop at Railfreight, but I also love the 60s and so I need to go into Sectorisation, then last night the opportunity came along for a Sound fitted Freightliner 66 and an EWS 66 and as I had LOADS of these on Kingsmill they had to come my way. I love the YING YING sounds of the 66's 

More pics soon I hope.

l have and still have a love for Eastleigh as it was between 1985 - 1995 they were ten years of great memories now sadly all gone, so l know where you are coming from Mate, looking forward to another great layout, good luck....

Cheers George, they were good times at Eastleigh, Maritime, Didcot, London and Newport etc. I hope to re create some of those memories we had.

Now how about YOU? :O

Go on,     You know you want to, hahhaha :no:

I've just read your last post with great interest, Andy.

It seems we have a few things in common, born 1950, and you mention 1977 as the beginning of your interest in railways. I built my first layout in 1977.

attachicon.gifLayout 1977.jpg

I still enjoy steam layouts but have never built another steam era layout. 

In the early 80s I modelled BR Blue. Contemporary Modern Image at the time.

attachicon.gifimg101.jpg

Kingsmill was one of the layouts that inspired me to move forward to model the 21st century railway scene and this continues to be my main interest.

attachicon.giftywrd 12.11.15 001new.jpg

Looking forward to seeing North Road in it's EWS guise.

Mal -  'moving with the times'

Hi Mal, Good to have you on board for the Ride.

Love your pic's, and as you say, we seemed to have mirrored each other.

You Layouts look superb. I'm going to have a look at your links.

Thanks for your post.

The Chandlers Ford line was freight only (apart from diversions which would permit you to run absolutely anything you like) for pretty much the whole period you're looking at, so I guess it could be imagined to be just round the corner there.

Unless you're into modelling stations there's no operational need for one on a roundy.

Yes your right the old Chandlers Ford area and the Yards at Eastleigh were all good, I'll did out some of my old Photos from back then.

• RMweb Premium

My father has often commented on the fact that my layout is 99% steam (the exception is the LMS 10000) despite the fact I was born in 1963 in Brisbane Australia and his brother designed a diesel for Walkers.

As a small child I do recall riding steam trains.  My parents did not have a car until I was 6 years old so I used to travel on trains a lot.  My father often reminds me that as a small boy I used to call diesels "lungalungas" apparently because of the sound they made.

Unlike most of you I have no experience of steam or diesel in the UK and so I am influenced more by what was available as a model and books - my first train set when I was six included a clock-work Hornby steam engine and a lot of the books about trains when I was young had images of nothing but steam engines.

So Andy you model what you like and I will keep looking.

Archived