MARKLIN Traverser 72941

Austrag

I have a new Marklin traverser and I am about to install it on my small layout. The instructions are poorly presented such that I need a magnifier to see some of the wiring diagrams! However, the basic DC wiring diagram is okay. I wish to work it using DCC and that is my problem.

I can see that there is a 60174 booster coupled to a control station and then another link to another minuscule box with 7 Marklin plugs, with writing showing how to connect two diodes and another box with a rotary "speed ?"  control. What are they?

I have a NCE Pro cab and wish to use that to control the traverser and the locomotives. Clearly I possibly need more Marklin boxes and more importantly better instructions.

Is there a Marklin expert out there please. Regards David

I don't use Maerklin, but here is a link to the instruction manual on the Maerklin web site, you should be able to enlarge it as much as you like to make it readable. https://static.maerklin.de/media/f0/83/f08311df6dc365ec6da9f796bd3ca9bd1434542636.pdf

I can't see anywhere in the instructions that the traverser is suitable for 2 rail operation, Maerklin still use 3 rail. So if you are using 2 rail then you may have made a mistake buying it unless you can find a way to modify it for 2 rail operation. It may be possible if Maerklin also sell it as a Trix 2 rail version.

The "Minuscule Box with the 7 plugs" is their K84 accessory decoder, which Maerklin say is necessary if you want to use the traverser with a Maerklin digital system. I don't know if their K84 decoder also works with DCC as Maerklin have their own digital protocols, MM and mfx. AFAIK, NCE is DCC only. I don't know if you could use a DCC accessory decoder from another manufacturer instead of the K84. 

The box with the rotary speed control is a conventional Maerklin AC controller which, presumably is supplying the power for the traverser, being switched through the K84 decoder. Maerklin use AC, but the diodes appear to be used to rectify the output from the AC controller, suggesting that the traverser has a DC motor of some sort.. So you may be able to use a DC output from a conventional DC controller instead. But this is all speculation on my part as I don't use Maerklin.

Thanks for that information, it was really helpful. Meanwhile, I made contact with a US blogger who has a Marklin shop, he explained that the 2-rail item I have is a bog-standard DC item with no DCC element on board. The diodes on the circuit are fitted to a controller which dim the street lights when fitted so nothing there for me. I now need to use an accessory decoder to control the track and the motor separately.

Archived