Protocab article

davetheroad

I think the way to go is to have the loco receiver generate a DCC signal and feed it to a standard DCC decoder on the loco,

That sounds like paying twice for the same functionality. If you have an Arduino/ Atmega328 in a loco why would you also need another microcontroller in the shape of an expensive DCC device?

...R

Hello Robin and Dajt

It's all about getting the code written for an Arduino DCC loco decoder, with acceleration curves etc etc to the NMRA spec. Quite a big job!

However I suppose with a standard DCC loco chip costing £10 from EBay you could say that's cheap and just code for a RX Arduino and limit the functionality to the "Deadrails spec" ie battery power/on track charging and wireless using another Arduino to sniff the track DCC as the Tx unit.

I think ultimately somebody will code it based on the hardware now available to the Arduino platform it's not just about getting it very cheap! It's about a "Layered solution" where each person can customise to add the functionality they want.

I think the 3D printer guys have nailed it (Marlin etc) with the ability to configure any type of 3D printer, it would be a good code model to use, an easily editable config file turning on and off features/hardware and functions.

Just ordered WT588D-16p voice module Sound module audio player for Arduino to play with! £3.00. So the journey continues, just need more coding time!

Regards

MartinK

Hello Robin

Yes space is one of the biggest problems especially in a steam loco!

I try to keep the li-po's in the tender along with the bridge diode and voltage regulator/battery control PCB.

If you are interested in the NMRA DCC library code used in my Arduinos Accessory and loco decoders it's on GitHub maintained by Alex Shepard, https://github.com/mrrwa/NmraDcc

Geoff Bunza has used it to great affect with his projects, as you are clearly a coder thought it might interest you.

Regards

MartinK

Archived