Ivatt/Std 2MT Tanks in the NE region.

I've just found an Ivatt 2MT whilst search for some bits and would like to add it to my 'Area 51' project about Teesside Steam locos.

I've done some research about local and know the closest ones were based on Malton and weren't as common as their larger sisters. But can anyone provide an information any workings the 2MT tanks may have had in the Teesside/North Yorkshire area?.

If not I could try and convert it to a Standard type and in that case does anyone have any info on allocations and workings of the 2MT Std tank in the same areas?

Cheers.

Sylv.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

I know four were based on Malton about 1959 and I have seen a picture. But there's very few sources I can go on.

I believe the Malton ones were used on summer Saturdays on the rear of holiday trains which used the Ryedale line to Pilmoor

• RMweb Gold

I think the Malton Ivatt 2MTs are the only ones in the NE region apart from those at ex-LMS sheds in West Yorkshire. There were no standard 2MT tanks in the NE. Many of the branches in the NE had quite high route availability allowing larger locos to be used (V1/3s, A5s and A8s). Other branches used G5 0-4-4Ts or J21

0-6-0s until dieselised--relatively early in the NE.

I've found it! or them! 42165 on pilot work with a York B1 on what is now the NYMR....and 41251 doing the same thing.

It looks like their duties mainly revolved around train and station pilot duties. I'm hoping some local freight and passenger duties would also be on the books.

I think I've decided on 41251 as it's in early emblem in the photo I've seen.

Here’s one I did earlier. (An early split frame Bachmann, a pig to convert to DCC with sound.) 41253 was a Farnley Loco until 4/63 according to my info. 41251 was at Malton until 4/63 when it was moved to York.post-22317-0-94840100-1455986071.jpg

Lovely model you have there. Mine was from about 17 years ago after my parents divorce. It's seen alot of cobwebs so at the moment its in pieces being refurbished.

I was thinking if it was based on York it might have seen more action on local train workings and it's still relatively local which is what I was hoping for .

Archived