Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

Well I believe an announcement (on the 23rd?) has been confirmed, so I expect something- but what? Here's my wishlist:

NER G5 tooled up for both NER and LNER/BR versions

NER Birdcage Brake Van

NER 20T Coal Hopper (you can see where my interests lie!)

NBR Brake Van (they've done the wagons, Hornby are doing the locomotive albeit not in true NBR form, so why not?)

GSWR Whitlegg 4-6-4T (yes I know that's never gonna happen RTR but we can dream, I bet the same was said about Kestrel, the LT BoBos and the P2 as well and look what's happened)

However I suspect:

LMS Stanier or Fowler tank engine(fits in to the pattern)

Class 86 (seems obvious)

Mk3 Sleepers

Perhaps something industrial as it seems to be all the rage lately

I think Hornby will keep Oxford Rail going, personally I feel they've been unfairly criticised with the Dean Goods in particular. It may be a few mm off in places but it looks like a Dean Goods to me and at around £80 it's a bargain for a modern, refined model. I think they need to find a niche...they could do for steam what Heljan do for diesels, Hornby can do the stuff that's bound to sell and Oxford can do the more unusual stuff.

Edit - forgot Bachmann have already done the Johnson tank! Still don't think they'll do something from any of the Scottish pre-group companies or even the LNWR, it'll have to be something that can go BR Black!

Edited by nathan70000

• RMweb Gold

What I'd like: all sorts

What I think will happen: the "missing" round top firebox N7 will be announced/confirmed as "to follow", which was pretty much a no brainer from the beginning. 

What I think might happen: a new Terrier. Why? Hornby fear Dapol doing one, and Dapol fear the effect Hornby bunging the existing one into Railroad would have if they did.

The semi-detached relationship created by Hornby and Oxford having the same boss effectively blurs any competition issues and I think we could see some synergy between the two ranges emerge. Oxford doing a Terrier could break the Hornby/Dapol impasse with Hornby dropping the old one for a couple of years until it reappears in Railroad to give the new one a start. However, I doubt one would be announced until it was pretty much ready-to-go.

I think a more likely subject for a new loco would be the Fowler 2-6-2T - and perhaps a push-pull set to go with it. After all, Hornby haven't bothered to add one to their range of Stanier non-corridors. Such coaches would also gain sales on the back of Bachmann's promised 0-4-4T

Other coaches are more tricky as it's not easy to think of much that won't look like infiltration of territory already occupied by fairly recent Hornby ranges. One possibility might be a long overdue revival of short GWR clerestories a la Tri-ang to modern standards. Perhaps even GWR non-corridors though I harbour suspicions that Dapol may have intentions in that area.

NPCCS is ever a fruitful market, and ideal for expanding a new and as-yet quite small range by offering something that ranged way beyond its parent system. Hornby never re-released the Lima inside-frame Siphon after acquiring that range so there's an opening for an all-new one of those. Ditto the 42' LMS GUV which could readily be tooled to produce the high-roofed Aeroplane van version, too (I never really understood why Lima didn't do so in the first place). What I'd really like is the final LNER horsebox, Diagram 9 that continued to be built for a while by BR until they came up with their own design.

A wagon or two. I think an Iron Mink, which would fit in nicely with the brake vans and the Dean Goods, is odds-on. Bachmann have never bothered with a riveted 16t mineral (apart from the slope-sided one) so there's an opportunity for a Diagram 1/109. There's also a gap for a welded-body 21t mineral with only the later VB diagram 1/120 and the single-door rebuilds covered even in kit form. And, of course, there's a yawning chasm in r-t-r waiting to accept some decent LMS vans. Another common wagon never covered r-t-r is the SR 8-plank open. Revisiting the LNER cattle wagon to correct the body errors and produce the BR-appropriate 10' wb version would be nice, too.

Irrespective of the issues/errors in some of Oxford's early wagons, the quality of the running knocks spots off anyone else's.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think any products which were in advanced development, but unannounced, at the time of Lyndon Davies' appointment to Hornby will proceed as planned.

It's interesting in this topic that the Fowler 2-6-2T gets mentioned several times - I might be interested in one as some worked on the Wirral between Birkenhead Park-West Kirby/New Brighton from 1930 until electrification in 1938.

• Like 1

I think Hornby will keep Oxford Rail going,

Hornby does not own Oxford Rail.....only a minority stake in the company which owns 100% of Oxford Rail. In three years time Hornby might own the holding company, but that depends entirely on Lyndon Davies completing a successful rescue of Hornby. A lot can happen over the next 3 years.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby does not own Oxford Rail.....only a minority stake in the company which owns 100% of Oxford Rail. In three years time Hornby might own the holding company, but that depends entirely on Lyndon Davies completing a successful rescue of Hornby. A lot can happen over the next 3 years.

And who's to say it couldn't eventually end up as a "reverse take-over" situation...........

• Like 1

Why not some more basic wagons:  a GWR open to diag O5 or O11, an iron mink (as someone noted above), a Midland box van, or an LSWR open?  Lower mould costs for these and probably lots of purchasers would buy multiples.

I'd really like to see a Churchward small prairie.

Coaches--well, I don't hold out much hope for that.

• RMweb Premium

It’ll be interesting to see if Oxford Rail carries on. I would expect it just to wither away . They may have had some stuff in development though. Certainly when DJM opted for the 92 it was because an 86 was under development , so that kind of leaves Oxford to announce it.

Edited by Legend

One thing I noticed last year when they announced the Virgin Mk3 coaches they chose a picture of a train headed by an 86 with the coaches barely noticeable, instead of one of the many images out there of Virgin Mk3s without a loco.

Either Taff was cruelly playing with us like a cat teases a captive mouse, or it was a clue of what's to come. Also, the 23rd is two days before my birthday so the announcement of an 86 would be a lovely birthday present, although not for the bank account.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Please remember what was said last year - namely that one or more manufacturer was already working on brining a high spec class 86 to market. Well we have had the 'big two' announce their plans and there is no sign of an 86 from either of them so...

I also remind folks that designing and tooling up a new loco from scratch is NOT a quick process - if it was all that previously announced stuff from Bachmann wouldn't have taken so long to appear. Given the reorganisation at Hornby and the tie up with Oxford only happened last Autumn, then if Oxford were working in a 'all new' class 86 it might be at such an advanced stage that it is worthwhile pushing on and recoup the investment rather than simply write off all the money spent thus far just because Hornby are releasing a 87.

A LMS (or one of its constituents) loco would indeed be a logical follow on from the previous steam releases given the SR, GWR and LNER have already been covered. On coaching stock, I think its unlikely they would go for a Stainer composite - to be effective that needs other vehicles in the range and Hornby already have them covered. Maybe some panelled stock to go with a potential LMS loco might be a good fit - or would they go for something like a GWR 'B set' as a nice easy win project.

Finally I refer folk to (i) My comment on how recent the tie up with Hornby was announced and (ii) I observe that whatever has been announced, IT IS NOT A TAKEOVER. Even if it does turn out into a fully fledged merger, it will take time to decide the overall strategy with the Hornby and Oxford brands with the results only really coming into play 12 months from now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally I refer folk to (i) My comment on how recent the tie up with Hornby was announced and (ii) I observe that whatever has been announced, IT IS NOT A TAKEOVER. Even if it does turn out into a fully fledged merger, it will take time to decide the overall strategy with the Hornby and Oxford brands with the results only really coming into play 12 months from now.

But if you are the owner or major shareholder of Oxford and have just been appointed CEO of the much larger Hornby, given that you have limited time and Hornby might reasonably expect you spend it on them, do you really think he will spend time competing with himself?

It maybe there are announcements this year because they may have been under development but I really don’t expect much new in the future. Either Oxford will just run the rail side down or Hornby will take controlling Stake and you will eventually see these models emerge under the Hornby banner. That’s unless Lyndon expects his appointment to Hornby to be very short term, but given that Hornby intend investing in Oxford , that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Interesting stuff. I just hope they’ve had a Caley 812 in development . That would complement Hornbys J36 beautifully .

• Like 2

Wi9th the high cost of many wagons by Bachamnn and Hornby, by which Oxford have undercut the competition ,   I would tool up  for and release more wagons to build up the Oxford company for the immediate future,  building up the locomotive range later

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But if you are the owner or major shareholder of Oxford and have just been appointed CEO of the much larger Hornby, given that you have limited time and Hornby might reasonably expect you spend it on them, do you really think he will spend time competing with himself?

It maybe there are announcements this year because they may have been under development but I really don’t expect much new in the future. Either Oxford will just run the rail side down or Hornby will take controlling Stake and you will eventually see these models emerge under the Hornby banner. That’s unless Lyndon expects his appointment to Hornby to be very short term, but given that Hornby intend investing in Oxford , that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Interesting stuff. I just hope they’ve had a Caley 812 in development . That would complement Hornbys J36 beautifully .

As far as I am aware Oxford Rail is a Limited company, not a PLC. Its only 'shareholders' are Mr Davies (51%) and Hornby themselves (49%). As such it is in Hornby and Mr Davies interests to continue to grow the Oxford business rather than throw in the towel - and Hornby as the other 'shareholder' if you like will also welcome increased profits this will generate.

Longer term there is quite likely to be some adjustment as to how the two companies operate (Hornby themselves said "Given Mr Davies appointment as CEO of the Company, the acquisition provides an opportunity to align the interests of the Hornby and the Oxford Diecast businesses" - and yes duplication will be avoided, however in practical terms this is more likely to affect things like the already released Adams Radial rather than a class 86 were Oxford to announce one for 2018 (although similar, a 86 is NOT the same as a class 87 in sphere of operations, the former also making an appearance on the ECML and GEML over the years and carrying more liveries). Yes there may be some rebranding / adjustment but I stand by my statement that it is too soon for the deal to have a significant effect on Oxfords plans for 2018, with any changes only really taking effect for the 2019 ranges.

As regards 'completing with themselves' I suggest you do a bit of research because there are plenty of examples of companies 'competing with themselves' in the food / medicine / clothes retailing sectors without any problems.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wi9th the high cost of many wagons by Bachamnn and Hornby, by which Oxford have undercut the competition ,   I would tool up  for and release more wagons to build up the Oxford company for the immediate future,  building up the locomotive range later

I think Oxford would regard not doing locos as not being a 'proper' model railway company. True they may not do 'train sets' but with the likes of Kernow, Rails and Hattons commissioning locos, coaches, wagons and buildings, Oxford understandably feel that they need to do the same.

You also make more profit on each loco sold than each wagon - and although you could argue that if you sold enough wagons you would make up the shortfall, I am sceptical that would actually happen..

• Like 1

I just hope they look at the high scorers on the wish lists from previous for the items folk want. Being from the North East I know there is demand for a J27 and with the preserved example due on the NYMR for completion and running in. It should be easy for scanning purposes. The J27 scored higher than the Q6 on numerous occasions.

I just hope they look at the high scorers on the wish lists from previous for the items folk want. Being from the North East I know there is demand for a J27 and with the preserved example due on the NYMR for completion and running in. It should be easy for scanning purposes. The J27 scored higher than the Q6 on numerous occasions.

Only problem with that is that the J27 has been under overhaul for a few years so been in bits when Oxford have got started into RTR and so probably hasn't been measured. That said you could still do it all from drawings and research, which is same for G5 as that hasn't been built yet as a new build engine. Other companies might have measured it before its overhaul. Thus, I'm thinking the easiest one to do that's can be looked at, although in a bad state at present is J21.

Fingers crossed...  

Only problem with that is that the J27 has been under overhaul for a few years so been in bits when Oxford have got started into RTR and so probably hasn't been measured.

That's the best time to measure it! 

post-508-0-49429000-1516191430.jpg

You appear to be getting 3D scanning and measuring confused. Neither method, nor a combination of both is a complete guarantee of accuracy.

P

• Like 1

GWR Coaches; either Toplights or Collett non-corridors (bow ended or flat ended, I ain't bothered) would be very nice indeed, particularly if they were done to the same standards as the recently released MK3's.

To mitigate the risk of design and tooling errors - which Oxford have form for - I would go for the flush sided mulitbar toplight, which saw the least alteration iirc, and I would offer a TK, CK , BTK, BCK and a BG. If they came in at the Mk3 prices (£29 at Hattons) I would but about 15 or so!

I would bet a small mars bar that they would sell like the proverbial, erm, hot cakes....

CoY