Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

• 2 weeks later...

Right. My wishlist from Oxford. These include various railways. Starting with the

NER

G5

J26/J27(or both)

N10

GER

E4

Y4

SECR

P class

LB&SCR

A1/A1x Terrier

Rolling Stock

GNR Brick Wagons

NER Push-Pull Stock(To go with the G5)

LNER Armour Plate Wagons

Edited by Clock O' The North
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any of the following, my top picks in bold italics

LMS

MR Johnson 1P 0-4-4T

LNWR 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0

LMS Cattle wagon (Dia.1840) to replace Bachmann's stunted approximation (there's a recent, and most excellent kit available for the Dia.1661).

SR

LSWR A12 'Jubilee' 0-4-2

LSWR 0395 0-6-0

LSWR G6 0-6-0T

LSWR H16 4-6-2T

A decent Terrier, Hornby's offering is well past it.

A decent Lord Nelson, Bachmann's offering ditto (and evidently discontinued to boot).

LSWR/ROD 20T Road van - sold on to a number of other railways post-WW1, I think all the groups ended up having some.

Bulleid 59' coaches (3-set)

GWR

Bulldog 4-4-0 (Bird series for preference to begin with).

15xx Pannier (unless somebody else has nabbed it while I wasn't looking)

43xx Mogul (GWR layouts of any size need at least one, the old Mainline/Bachmann one was made decidedly porky to clear the motor and neither they nor anybody else seems to be interested in doing better).

Aberdare 2-6-0 (Fascination of the Horrible dept.)

Siphons, various, to modern standards, on a selection of bogies (the bodies on the old Airfix and Lima models still hold their own but all are a good deal less salubrious lower down).

16T Toad, (ideal to go with their forthcoming Dean Goods).

'Grano' bulk grain wagon, (K's kit of fond memory, mine long since departed, but one which I hope to acquire another of soon from a fellow wagon fiend who has one to spare). 

LNER

Passenger brake vans, 51' non-corridor and 52'6" BG; refer to Rule 2: One can never have too much NPCCS.  Apart from the ends and roofs they were almost identical so economical to tool for both.

Horse Box, Diagram 9, also constructed under BR for the Western Region and much wider-travelled than the Dia.5 (for which there is already an excellent kit).

Various GER locos for my mate, though I'm not really interested for myself. E4, J67/8/9, N7

Edited by Dunsignalling

Any of the following, my top picks in bold italics

LMS Cattle wagon (Dia.1840) to replace Bachmann's stunted approximation (there's a recent, and most excellent kit available for the Dia.1661).

Siphons, various, to modern standards, on a selection of bogies (the bodies on the old Airfix and Lima models still hold their own but all are a good deal less salubrious lower down).

16T Toad, (ideal to go with their forthcoming Dean Goods).

'Grano' bulk grain wagon, (K's kit of fond memory, mine long since departed, but one which I hope to acquire another of soon from a fellow wagon fiend who has one to spare).

Some very good choices indeed Dunsignalling. The LMS D1840 or even their later sisters (D1994) I'd most certainly welcome these days as Bachmann's poor attempt no longer does the LMS Cattle wagon justice...!! Other LMS wagons though that come to mind are:

• LMS Banana Van
  • LMS Iron Ore Hopper Wagon
  • LMS Brake Vans
  • Midland Railway Opens and Vans
  • LNWR D88 Goods Van and Opens
  • Caledonian D67 Outside Framed Goods Van

A new tooling for a GWR Siphon is long overdue now as is the GWR Toads. As I've said previously, a GWR Iron Mink would make a welcome addition to the GWR Dean Goods considering these wagons started to emerge from Swindon's works around the same time as the Deans themselves. A wide variety of liveries and I imagine the opportunity for some LTDs including the 'Save for Victory' livery. I'd also like to see GWR Mink F but I'd imagine this to be an inclusive like the Hattons ICI Hoppers. Whilst I like the idea of the steel build GWR Grano, their earlier sisters from the V20 diagram would be interesting as well. Other GWR wagons:

• MICA A and B
  • MINK A, B, C, D, G to varying diagrams.
  • OPEN A, B and C to varying diagrams.
  • MACAW to varying diagrams
  • GWR Milk Tanks (LMS, LNER and SR as well to save me typing it again...!!)

For LNER, the TOAD E, LNER Wooden Framed Goods Vans and more pre-grouping LNER stock would be great to see. Now Oxford has opened the door with the NB 4 Plank here's hoping pre-grouping get's more attention...!!

As for the SR, before November 2015 my main desire was an SR Cattle Wagon and since those prayers were finally answered by Hornby announcing the Maunsell and Bulleid Cattle wagons last year, I now have to look for something else to pray for that is Southern related...!! Since Cambrian are doing the LSWR D1410 Van, maybe their sisters from the D1409 diagram to avoid duplication? LSWR, SECR and LBSCR Vans and Opens would make worthy and I imagine a popular entries considering locos like the E4 and Adams are now on the market...!

I must also add that I hope Oxford Rail continue to expand on their range of Private Owners over the next few years. After having taken a look through several volumes of Keith Turton's wonderful books on the subject whilst sorting through my old Mainline, Replica, Hornby and Bachmann stock makes me hope we see the range of Private Owner wagons expand...!!

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

Perhaps a well scaled OO DCC ready LBSCR E2 with no Thomas Face......They won't need a license for it.

Cambrian need to get their LSWR Diagram 1410 van out SOON or miss out. It is a juicy RTR target. 

And if you are going to do the Bulleid coaches please do the SR narrow top sliding window version, not the BR version. 

And if you do some more private owner wagons, consider the WW 2 and post war small lettering for the owner and location on the lower left. Pooled wagons were used all over the UK so a Scottish colliery could turn up in Wales or Cornwall unlike the pre war return to owner schemes.   They lasted into Nationalization that way so are appropriate for accurate BR period use.

Edited by autocoach

Perhaps a well scaled OO DCC ready LBSCR E2 with no Thomas Face......They won't need a license for it.

Cambrian need to get their LSWR Diagram 1410 van out SOON or miss out. It is a juicy RTR target. 

And if you do some more private owner wagons, consider the WW 2 and post war small lettering for the owner and location on the lower left. Pooled wagons were used all over the UK so a Scottish colliery could turn up in Wales or Cornwall unlike the pre war return to owner schemes.   They lasted into Nationalization that way so are appropriate for accurate BR period use.

An LBSCR E2 I'd very much like to see even if it's not at the top of my Most Wanted. I certainly ain't going to get a Hornby Thomas and give it the time to do up. And you've even answered my question autocoach over the licensing...!! I do sometimes wonder though if Hornby continually releasing the E2 as Thomas as made other RTR companies weary of doing this model.

I've heard that Cambrian's D1410 Van should be out within the next few months. Either way I'll welcome it regardless of being RTR or kit. Almost thought we'd see it appear on Oxford's range this year following their Adams release...!!

For Private Owners, I'm looking at Salt wagons currently. Really irritating to still see the Bachmann Salt wagon coming out with a steel underframe. From what I recall the majority of salt wagons were built on timber frames? Keeping on the theme of timber framed stock, a tank wagon would be nice to see as well. Buying those Turton was such a bad idea for me, but then I could say that about alot of my other rolling stock books...!!

• RMweb Gold

And if you are going to do the Bulleid coaches please do the SR narrow top sliding window version, not the BR version. 

If the glazing bars are made as part of the glazing rather than the body shell, it's easy enough to do both.

However, the 59-footers that I suggested pre-date both. There wasn't a corresponding BR-built version so it wouldn't be an issue.

John

• RMweb Gold

Oh!  Yes please.  Some Bulleid 2-sets, 3-sets and loose BCKs would be extremely welcome.  :imsohappy:

A decent N2 would be nice and potentially quite commercially viable.

LMS brake van (of the type that Hornby have an outdated model of) is also another major ommision from RTR availability - ran until the early 1990s in an increasingly interesting mix of liveries such as Regional Railways IIRC.

For something unusual, how about 'Hardwicke'?

ICI bogie caustic liquor wagon á-la Hornby Dublo model of the 1960s.

Classes 01, 02, & 06 diesel shunters.

Evening All,

Bearing in mind their longevity of service the LBSCR D1 and E1 tanks particularly in respective Stroudley liveries would certainly prise my wallet open. Agreeing with a previous post a baloon trailer would be an added bonus for those of us too ham fisted to kit build.

Craig.

What any manufacturer wants is lots of different models from the same moulds (or limited changes).   In addition the BR late steam/transitional period is desirable.

What wagons had varied liveries in that times ?

To me tank wagons and milk wagons seem the obvious choices.

( Oh !  And, of course, Southern Region 4-COR E.M.U.s )

A decent N2 would be nice and potentially quite commercially viable.

LMS brake van (of the type that Hornby have an outdated model of) is also another major ommision from RTR availability - ran until the early 1990s in an increasingly interesting mix of liveries such as Regional Railways IIRC.

Prior to this I was actually looking into the upcoming Hornby release of the N2 4765 in LNER Black only a few days ago and I never knew that whilst the body originates from when it was first brought out in the 80s, they were never made with a cab interior for this model. Since learning that, the N2 has come off my pre-order lists for now... A shame really as 4765 looked ever so attractive despite the missing cab interior... Ah well it's money I can put to something else...!!

If one of the iconic LMS Brake Vans was to be looked at then maybe starting off with the D1890 diagram? I'd still though like to see an upgrade of the D1919, 2036, 2068 and 2155 as like the GWR Toads, these are now in desperate need of a fine tuning...

To me tank wagons and milk wagons seem the obvious choices.

Milk tankers and wagons I would most certainly appreciate. Whilst I do find the Hornby ones very attractive with their various liveries of the different dairies, I find the chassis let them down. If they were to look at a Milk Tank or Wagon then perhaps SR Milk Tank 4409 or maybe the more 'exotic' GWR Rotank 3030 both down at Didcot...? :)

5910434434_a7ae7bb0e1_b.jpg

12700328253_e0d1cf77de_b.jpg

• Like 3

( Oh !  And, of course, Southern Region 4-COR E.M.U.s )

4-SUB, please both the Sheba's and post war units........An approach would be to do a 2-Sub or 3-SUB and sell and extra trailer(s) if you could handle the 4-SUB for length and cost.

These are needed in my collection of EMU's for future dream layouts, the 4-SUB s would be wonderful for a postwar Penge East (where I lived on and off at my grandparents down Mosslea Road one street from the station.)  And of course Merchant Navy's and Original West Countries pulling original Bulleid coaches on the boat trains at speed through Penge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a few thoughts on a lazy Sunday afternoon:

GWR: Metro Tank, 15xx, 16xx.

SR: Terrier, H, P, C2x and either a K or U mogul (or better still, both!)

LMS: Johnson 1P tank, class 2 0-6-0, Tilbury 4-4-2T.

LNER: J67/69 Buckjumper, N7, J17, GCR N5.

I don't know whether I've mentioned this one before, in this thread or anywhere else (isn't amnesia a wonderful thing...)

One of these?

attachicon.gif20 tonner.jpg

please?

Les

A good choice, I suspect that this prototype may be the most sorely missed from the (seemingly) defunct Slaters 4mm range.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a lover of all things Webb, I d love to see a Jumbo 2-4-0, or 19 inch Goods 0-6-0, or "Lady of the Lake"  2-2-2 or............................. Well l can dream can't l?

• 2 weeks later...