Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

A GWR 4-6-0 county might be a nice model too to see Oxford do.

If they did it properly.  Thus far I don't think they have given anybody much to worry about apart from offering low prices to steal market share and picking similar prototypes which can take market share among the less discerning or cash strapped buyers.

• RMweb Gold

Remember the wishing (listing) on a Star and Hornby delivering what they are.....

Incorrect bogie wheels are simple to solve, the handrail is a nuisance but not much more than that.  But the basic shape is right and what's more it also looks right, and that is usually the hardest thing to alter if it isn't right.  If someone gets the basic shape wrong - or part of it wrong then it's a lot bigger mess up than minor things, even if they do show.

A GWR 4-6-0 county might be a nice model too to see Oxford do.

More GWR 4-6-0 locos would just be adding to an already flooded market.  What might be considered is the "next step" from the Dean Goods, in other words a modern take on the Mogul wheel arrangement.

It'd be nice to see a well made DCC ready 43xx or, for those who would prefer another Dean locomotive, an "Aberdare", which has the added "benefit" of OUTSIDE FRAMES!!!

If you really, really wanted a 4-6-0, outside framed "Dean" loco that looked amazingly ugly, then the only option would be "Kruger" 2601.

Just be careful for what you wish for.

If you really, really wanted a 4-6-0, outside framed "Dean" loco that looked amazingly ugly, then the only option would be "Kruger" 2601.

Either of those would be great, but I hope they don't happen as they would be totally out of place on my early 1900s BLT. I'd have to build a main line to run them on, but I've got too many projects on my to-do list already!

Either of those would be great, but I hope they don't happen as they would be totally out of place on my early 1900s BLT. I'd have to build a main line to run them on, but I've got too many projects on my to-do list already!

Or you could just extend it slightly with a board leading to a quarry/coalmine/whatever that would benefit from some extra pulling "grunt".  Or just invoke "Rule 1" and call the trips Cabbage Puller Specials or some such......

• RMweb Gold

More GWR 4-6-0 locos would just be adding to an already flooded market.  What might be considered is the "next step" from the Dean Goods, in other words a modern take on the Mogul wheel arrangement.

It'd be nice to see a well made DCC ready 43xx or, for those who would prefer another Dean locomotive, an "Aberdare", which has the added "benefit" of OUTSIDE FRAMES!!!

Not too long back somebody spent a bit of time contacting those of us who he thought might be interested in an 'Aberdare' but I understand that too few of us expressed a firm interest in buying one (or more) to a level sufficient to justify somebody's investment.  

A 43XX would no doubt be an attractive proposition if done properly (which would mean method of construction/assembly, and probably slides in the tooling, in order to capture the variants in detail and changes over the years).  And to be quite blunt on their performance to date I can't see Oxford doing that; if they did one it would turn into another 'not quite right' market blocker spoiling the pitch for everybody else.

...A 43XX would no doubt be an attractive proposition if done properly (which would mean method of construction/assembly, and probably slides in the tooling, in order to capture the variants in detail and changes over the years).  And to be quite blunt on their performance to date I can't see Oxford doing that; if they did one it would turn into another 'not quite right' market blocker spoiling the pitch for everybody else.

That reminds me that Bachmann's early "Branchline" entry into the UK market in the early 1990s was the 93xx, albeit with buffer-beam weight removed. Its Mainline 43xx tooling origins were painfully clear, and much was made at the time of the shrunken outside cylinders, as well as the incorrect length of front footplate. 

It's only belatedly occurred to me that the shrunken cylinders could have been recycled for use in a Great Central 9P......  :mail:

Assuming that there is demand for a 21st-century RTR 43/53/63/73/83 and 93xx mogul, does the opportunity represent something of an open goal?

For me, now, it all depends upon whether Oxford addresses the issues so far identified with the Dean Goods.  If it does, I may continue to contribute suggestions to the Oxford Wish List topic.

If it doesn't, based upon the premise that a poor RTR model of a given prototype tends to discourage the production of a rival good model, sadly I might have to start a topic listing the models I don't want Oxford to make!

I won't write off Oxford yet, by any means.  In fact, I am straining every fibre willing them to make a success of the Dean and their other planned releases.  My enthusiasm is somewhat tempered, however, in that I am no longer sure that I want to see them making wish list models in preference to Red or Blue Box.  If  the Dean turns out well, however, I will gladly resume cheers of "Go, Oxford!" 

Popular subjects are essential for manufacturers, but are taken on at heightened risk; take something as cherished as, say, the Terrier, Dean Goods, or Buckjumper and get it wrong and you will not be forgiven! 

Let us hope for the best.  The Dean Goods, Oxford's second locomotive and a cherished and long-lived pre-Grouping prototype, will be, for me, Oxford's acid test.

• 3 months later...

May have been mentioned but about time we had a decent OO 46t GLW BRT grain covered hopper (aka "Whisky Blues")? Long lived 60s to 90s, various colourful PO livery options, 2 chassis/suspension options. Bachmann's model is based on the 60s Trix model, Lima's was more acceptable but no longer available and still had solid advertising hoardings on the side. Link to Paul Bartlett's excellent photos here: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop

Hopefully,

Martyn.

1. GWR pre-grouping loco with Indian red frames such as the Armstrong class.

Dean Goods may be more hopeful, as they're doing a modern image version of it, and if it has a round top firebox they might even make it the right shape, unlike the Belpaire version!

Dean Goods may be more hopeful, as they're doing a modern image version of it, and if it has a round top firebox they might even make it the right shape, unlike the Belpaire version!

On the other hand, seeing as Oxford have gone quiet about progress towards delivery for the Belpair Dean Goods after the comments about the shape of the firebox, angle of handrail stanchions and so on, it could be that these matters are being rectified prior to production.

Then again....

...Let us hope for the best.  The Dean Goods, Oxford's second locomotive and a cherished and long-lived pre-Grouping prototype, will be, for me, Oxford's acid test.

I'd counter that with the suggestion that 'you are only as good as your last job'; every introduction to a range will inform the customer on whether or not progress is being maintained.

Having now introduced four wagon types, of the three I have seen the LNER open is roughly on a par with the better comparable 4W wagon products from elsewhere (cannot comment on the NBR Jubilee wagon). That's progress, and much faster than the two major established competitor histories show I would suggest. (And in my book it puts OR well ahead of any outfit only producing what are recognised as the most profitable items, locos. There are going to be wagons and coaches in the product list for the locos to haul, a much more usefully rounded output for modelling purposes than simply traction, no matter how well produced.)

I am not expecting miracles, and am observing with interest as OR 'get their hand in'. Hopefully the LNER open is a pointer to an improving trend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Caley 812 class 0-6-0 Loco. They could do it Caley Blue, LMS Black , early and late BR . There's a preserved one on Strathspeys line. It's a gorgeous colour scheme, something different . Could follow on from their Deans Goods.

Failing that NBR J36. Could tie in with their NBR wagons

But if they want to go big in model railways it has to be something more mainstream . In modern image that's Class 66, a sprinter dmu (156perhaps) and an HST power car to go with their mk3s

On steam , well theres not a lot of low hanging fruit , so their going to have to go in and pick off old or un available models from the big 2 . 43xx and Manor are obvious choices. Bring it in at a good standard and lower price than Bachmann (shouldn't be hard) then they will be succesfull.

On steam , well theres not a lot of low hanging fruit , so their going to have to go in and pick off old or un available models from the big 2 . 43xx and Manor are obvious choices. Bring it in at a good standard and lower price than Bachmann (shouldn't be hard) then they will be succesfull.

Not necessarily.  There are loads of steam locos out there to take on.  I'm LMS biased but whilst that inferior route from St Pancras has had a nice range of 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 types produced in RTR the Premier Line so far has had only the very nice G2 and the forthcoming Coal Tank produced, yet arguably the LNWR 4-4-0 locos were some of the best looking of that wheel arrangement around, and outlived the less than stellar express Claughton 4-6-0s (just about).  They handled the Birmingham 2hr expresses even after the LMS drafted in their standard Compounds onto the route and would make a great layout sized loco, even though they only ran in 50 shades of black.  Equally the "Cauliflower" 0-6-0 goods were long lived, handling freight and local passenger turns and remained in service until the late 50s.  Another widespread and long lived LNWR type was the Radial tank locos.  Any of those would be welcomed by any LMS modeller as much as the LNER boys have welcomed the Hornby Clauds.  Speaking of LNER, I'm sure there are a few GNR and NER types that could make for interesting and long lived subjects for Oxford without taking on an existing type.

​That said, a nice DCC sound compatible GWR Mogul and Manor are desperately needed for the Dolgellau model layout!

• Like 4

Seeing that Oxford Rail (on the basis of two models) are nibbling around the edges of pre-grouping locomotives in a clockwise manner, perhaps we might expect more of the same.  As we've had locos from the Southern Family and the Great Western family, perhaps the North Western will get a look in.  Given that Oxford haven't yet repeated a wheel arrangement, perhaps this time we might get a Jumbo 2-4-0 (sorry, "Improved Precedent"!) or a George the Fifth 4-4-0.  If we don't get a Jumbo, then when the clock moves to the East, there might be a T26/E4 in prospect.

But back to the LNWR, a woefully unrepresented railway, even compared to Scottish prototypes!  The LNWR had a multiplicity of Really Useful Engines from the reigns of Webb, Whale, Bowen Cook and Beames.  Its about time someone took up that loose ball and ran with it!  And no livery problems either - they were all painted black!

Looking through the list of LNWR locos on Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotives_of_the_London_and_North_Western_Railway ) I spotted Whale's "Square Saddle Tank", a rebuild of a Coal(tender) loco, a chunky robust looking loco, with a lot more character than a Derby "Jinty".  We need more SSTs!

• RMweb Premium

Seeing that Oxford Rail (on the basis of two models) are nibbling around the edges of pre-grouping locomotives in a clockwise manner, perhaps we might expect more of the same.  As we've had locos from the Southern Family and the Great Western family, perhaps the North Western will get a look in.  Given that Oxford haven't yet repeated a wheel arrangement, perhaps this time we might get a Jumbo 2-4-0 (sorry, "Improved Precedent"!) or a George the Fifth 4-4-0.  If we don't get a Jumbo, then when the clock moves to the East, there might be a T26/E4 in prospect.

But back to the LNWR, a woefully unrepresented railway, even compared to Scottish prototypes!  The LNWR had a multiplicity of Really Useful Engines from the reigns of Webb, Whale, Bowen Cook and Beames.  Its about time someone took up that loose ball and ran with it!  And no livery problems either - they were all painted black!

Looking through the list of LNWR locos on Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotives_of_the_London_and_North_Western_Railway ) I spotted Whale's "Square Saddle Tank", a rebuild of a Coal(tender) loco, a chunky robust looking loco, with a lot more character than a Derby "Jinty".  We need more SSTs!

Agree with yourself and Wombatofludham, a range of L&NWR items would be good. The only issues I see are they are mainly black (although an LMS  Crimson Claughton would be lovely), not many of them made it to BR days.  I don't necessarily agree , but most mainstream manufacturers believe this will restrict sales. Have a look at the latest Bachmann mag on why they don't make a Highland Railway Clan as an example of this . The main advantage of a Caley 812 is its colourful and there is a preserved example still existant. Coupled to them running well into late BR steam era  then it seems to be a more attractive proposition to manufacturers . At least I hope so.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It appears then that were going to wait quite some time for a GER locomotive then . :cry: (An N7 would be nice.)