Sous le viaduc

nomisd

Perhaps a strategically placed building and/or trees so that the trains disappear behind them (from normal viewpoints) before going into the hole.

I have been cogitating on this all day and I think you are right, it needs something to lose the hole. A building won't work as there isn't enough space to get one around the right pier (as one looks at the viaduct). Which really only leaves vegetation. So I think a small copse is probably called for. I currently have a kit for two Woodland Scenics gnarled trees to start me off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to represent brambles?

Why not move the viaduct further along into the layout and curve the backscene around in the space that you have created behind the viaduct?

You could now have the side of the gorge curving around towards the front of the layout and perhaps a mass of scaffolding to some structure (rather than brambles) confusing the eye in front of where the train passes through the back scene.

.....  et voila....une petite trompe-l'œil

dh

Why not move the viaduct further along into the layout and curve the backscene around in the space that you have created behind the viaduct?

You could now have the side of the gorge curving around towards the front of the layout and perhaps a mass of scaffolding to some structure (rather than brambles) confusing the eye in front of where the train passes through the back scene.

.....  et voila....une petite trompe-l'œil

dh

A fantastic idea but I have glued the viaduct down. Also if you look very carefully at the top section of the viaduct it has a curve in it as the foam board has warped, perhaps I should have used MDF or ply to make it. The other drawback to this idea are my artistic skills! In my original vision, the viaduct was going to have both carriageways - I wonder if I should go back to this idea as it would give more depth to the area? I think the other thing that I should have done in hindsight is angle the viaduct across the back so that it came out more into the layout (actually maybe I should have just stuck to the time-served solution of a tunnel :jester: )

• RMweb Gold

No don't go back to a tunnel. Every layout has one (Open to correction lol)

The beauty of your layout is the bold statement of the high viaduct and I think that's what we all like about it.

Another thought - If your backscene behind the viaduct was moved further away from the viaduct and closer to your hidden sidings, you could consider a second road just a few centimeters above track level with small overbridge.

With the question of "the hiding of the hole" on the back burner, I have been trying to finish the back scene. I have started on the pipe yard - the travelling crane needs finishing off and the fencing needs putting in place but its started. I have also started to build the loco shed. Its done by the tried and tested way - balsa wood. I found a model plane and car shop in Rennes which has a good selection of modelling woods and managed to get there last Friday. The roof needs some work and I haven't quite worked out what to do with the front yet and certainly not sure how to do a door - possibly a sliding door? It also needs a coat of paint to make it look less balsa wood. 

post-23087-0-14352500-1458599156_thumb.jpg

post-23087-0-89858700-1458599156_thumb.jpg

Its coming on slowly but its coming on. In other news, we got our first booking for the B&B last week - its not until June but we have one. I always said I would be happy if we got one booking in our first year!

The staff of CFPD stand around and ask "Qu'est que c'est? C'est un vapeur bizarre"

post-23087-0-13562000-1458822894_thumb.jpg

A friends Dukedog visits en route from the UK back to its home in Spain. Strange thing is he models in N.......

Loco shed - now with added tar paper roof, doors, paint and weathering

post-23087-0-54110500-1458989270_thumb.jpg

post-23087-0-63993700-1458989272_thumb.jpg

post-23087-0-47754800-1458989273_thumb.jpg

Not sure if those doors would actually work in real life! Guttering and drain pipes to be added, for some reason I hate putting guttering and down pipes on, I find it really fiddly.

Archived