Toms LNER Workbench - Comet V2 Chassis

grob1234

I have just been looking through my thread and noticed that Photo Bucket have changed all their settings and removed third party hosting. 

Luckily I didn't have too many images on there, however, with so many adverts, a clunky interface and them wanting $400 a year to host images, I have closed my account with them after 12 years!

I have moved to Imgur. If you have used Photo Bucket for your own threads, it might be worth checking if your images are available.

It is very frustrating as I now have to try and restore the lost images, and re host them somewhere else.

Yes their move to do that has upset a LOT of people - wouldn't surprise me if they don't survive it. Bizzare decision!

Yes, very bizarre decision. I can understand wanting to charge for very very large accounts or corporate stuff, but this seems a bit crazy to me.

I'll hold my hands up and say I have never purchased from them, but I may have done in the future. However, I certainly will not be doing so now, as my account is closed! Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

Tom,

The boiler bands on your J3; what width did you cut them? Most boiler bands were between 1 3/4" and 2" wide, which equates to 0.58 mm - 0.67 mm in 4 mm scale. Those on the J3 do look a little wider than that.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Tom, I gave up on Photobucket some time ago. As far as RMW is concerned I just upload images directly now so that's sorted. :)

Where other sites I visit require third party image hosting, well I just don't upload much now. :(

I've been loving your how to videos by the way, so thanks for them.

I didn't know you could upload direct to here! Damn. I will have to investigate that, would save a lot of hassle.

I'm glad you like the videos. The supporter base and viewing figures are climbing, albeit slowly, but it is encouraging that you're enjoying the content. :)

Tom,

The boiler bands on your J3; what width did you cut them? Most boiler bands were between 1 3/4" and 2" wide, which equates to 0.58 mm - 0.67 mm. Those on the J3 do look a little wider than that.

Cheers

Mike

Do you know what Mike, I just guessed I'm ashamed to say, basing it on what I felt looked about right. Slap dash modelling eh?! 

I got the calipers out, they are 1.1mm so probably around 3in in 4mm scale. Bit too much don't you think? Easy enough to re-do.

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

I didn't know you could upload direct to here! Damn. I will have to investigate that, would save a lot of hassle.

When adding a new post  instead of adding your photo links and then clicking post ,you just click "reply with attachments" and it's quite straight forward from there.

Or follow the following link for a bit of a guide, hope it helps.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87269-how-to-add-a-picture-or-photograph-to-a-topicpost/

When adding a new post  instead of adding your photo links and then clicking post ,you just click "reply with attachments" and it's quite straight forward from there.

Or follow the following link for a bit of a guide, hope it helps.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87269-how-to-add-a-picture-or-photograph-to-a-topicpost/

Oh OK, and then they are just held on the RMWeb servers instead? Nice, thanks for that! 

Hi Tom,

I would definitely NEVER trust any free offers of remote / third party image hosting ever again. I suggest you ALAWAYS keep your own copies of every image file and just upload the necessary pictures direct to the relevant site, even if they don't then display at the size you'd like (some sites as you notice only show thumbnails on the page normally seen, leaving the viewer to click on the image to see it full size). Experience suggests that all remote free hosting offers are eventually withdrawn, leaving the user high and dry entirely, of faced with a choice of either having to pay for continued service or lose the images. Imageshack dropped me in the doo-doo three or more years ago and I've only just found time to start restoring hundreds of images on the affected sites. Then last month Photobucket pulled the plug in an even more abrupt and financially cynical way (I've no idea how you missed the news) plunging me into a panic effort to restore almost 100 pages of more recent and therefore more relevant illustrated work. Some forum users will also remember an even older and equally sudden loss of yet another free image hosting site.

It is difficult for me to avoid the conclusion that such sites are run either by those who haven't done their long term financial planning properly (hence the site is bound to fail) or they are run by those who know how it will all work out and are only after your money - by offering (initially) a sprat to (later) catch a mackerel (by something akin to "blackmail").

....difficult for me to avoid the conclusion that such sites are run either by those who haven't done their long term financial planning properly (hence the site is bound to fail) or they are run by those who know how it will all work out and are only after your money - by offering (initially) a sprat to (later) catch a mackerel (by something akin to "blackmail").

Some hosting sites are taken over by others, who then shut it down in favour of their own "service".

Edited by Horsetan

Hi Tom,

I would definitely NEVER trust any free offers of remote / third party image hosting ever again. I suggest you ALAWAYS keep your own copies of every image file and just upload the necessary pictures direct to the relevant site, even if they don't then display at the size you'd like (some sites as you notice only show thumbnails on the page normally seen, leaving the viewer to click on the image to see it full size). Experience suggests that all remote free hosting offers are eventually withdrawn, leaving the user high and dry entirely, of faced with a choice of either having to pay for continued service or lose the images. Imageshack dropped me in the doo-doo three or more years ago and I've only just found time to start restoring hundreds of images on the affected sites. Then last month Photobucket pulled the plug in an even more abrupt and financially cynical way (I've no idea how you missed the news) plunging me into a panic effort to restore almost 100 pages of more recent and therefore more relevant illustrated work. Some forum users will also remember an even older and equally sudden loss of yet another free image hosting site.

It is difficult for me to avoid the conclusion that such sites are run either by those who haven't done their long term financial planning properly (hence the site is bound to fail) or they are run by those who know how it will all work out and are only after your money - by offering (initially) a sprat to (later) catch a mackerel (by something akin to "blackmail").

H Graeme,

Yes incredibly frustrating. To be honest I was not aware that it was possible to upload direct to RMWeb. I will definitely be doing this in future. Fortunately I do have original photos on my HDD, however, the more annoying aspect is having to go through the thread and re load the correct pics. Luckily my threads are short so not the end of the world. I can't help thinking this was short sighted by Photo Bucket. The reason I missed it? Probably because I don't really see much in the way of lower level UK news, or indeed have too much contact with people from the UK when I am not there. I lead a sort of bubble type lifestyle, free of world worries - one advantage of being an expat! ;) 

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone.

First of all, if anyone has started following my videos on YouTube (link in signature) from RMWeb, then I am very grateful to you. The good news is that the channel is growing quite nicely, and even though it is very niche in nature, the growing number of subscribers gives me hope that kit building is certainly not dead! The London Road Models LNER J3 will feature in the next video, which is about airbrushing and painting kit built locomotives - if you are new to airbrushing or just want to have a laugh at my efforts, why not look out for the next video which will be released in the next few days.

Anyway, now back to my modelling. Due to the birth of my first child (a boy - he is incredible) I haven't had as much time at the bench as I would like. However the J3 is now fully painted, and is ready for decals. It was thoroughly cleaned with limescale bathroom cleaner, then some flash then a good rinse in warm water, before being set aside (covered) to dry for about 24hrs. Then I primed the model with Halfords Etch Primer, which I think leaves a really nice, tough finish on the model, and is a perfect basecoat for the paint. As usual, I used Tamiya acrylics, semi gloss black (X-18) for the body of the loco, flat black (XF-7) for the buffer beams and for the interior I used a teak base coat and a teak colour for the floor. The internals were brush painted for ease. I then gave all the areas that will be decalled a blast of clear varnish (Alclad Gloss) to seal everything in and give a nice surface for the decals. Here she is as of this afternoon, please let me know what you think!

After the decals have been applied, I will coat it in some satin or matt varnish, then weather it, apply some glass to the windows, add the coal and she will be ready for traffic.

post-23638-0-10866700-1510044233_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-76880000-1510044253_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-20220000-1510044267_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Due to the birth of my first child (a boy - he is incredible) I haven't had as much time at the bench as I would like.

Make the most of him. It's no time at all since my first was born and he's suddenly taller than me and will be 16 in a few months. It doesn't feel like it when they're tiny, but he'll be grown up before you notice. The toy trains will still be there when he's older.

• Like 3

Make the most of him. It's no time at all since my first was born and he's suddenly taller than me and will be 16 in a few months. It doesn't feel like it when they're tiny, but he'll be grown up before you notice. The toy trains will still be there when he's older.

Thanks Jonathan, its funny isn't it? We spend our time when they are small wishing them to grow up and then when they grow up we wish they were small. He is very good, so when he sleeps for a couple of hours in the afternoon, I can potter in the modelling room. I think he is impressed with the new shelving I put up in there, I gave him a guided tour of my workbench, so hopefully I have sowed the seed and he too will like trains!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

My last update of 2017. Obviously, time at the workbench has been drastically reduced, but other pleasures have taken over. I do still manage some time modelling, especially when his Lordship is taking a nap.

I managed to get the J3 fully painted, glossed and numbered, using a combination of Fox and HMRS decals. I'm particularly impressed with the HMRS decals, very nice register, and after a little practice, the Methfix version applied very well. The underframe has already been weathered, and the body in due course. Although it will still be a fairly clean locomotive, picture evidence showing that these were kept in pretty good order by the crews operating them.

It would also be prudent to say a big thank you to all those of you on here who have supported my YouTube channel and also my Instagram feed. Although I am sure that there are many out there who think my work on there is a load of old drivel, the channel now boasts approximately 230 subscribers, which is fantastic, given my lack of output, and how long the channel has been going. Add the fact that the subject is pretty 'niche', I am delighted with the growth of the channel. The intention has always been to show what is possible in the hobby of model railways, and if some people see a new technique or a new way of modelling and feel inspired, then my work is done! So once again, thank you for your support, and I hope that my modelling output will increase in 2018.

Have a very merry Christmas.

And now, a few snaps of the J3:

post-23638-0-09539200-1514095197_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-20704100-1514095209_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-76873600-1514095222_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-42282300-1514095365_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Nicely done.

I am not seeking to pick fault in any way, but those pictures do remind me that I would like to know, reliably, what colour Doncaster painted the interiors of loco cabs in the 1930s, and was it a universal rule or did different arrangements apply for black locos, green locos, mundane locos and posh locos? The normal colour for the front plates of tenders on LNER green locos seems to be an un-settled question too.

I gather that the upper half of the cab interior was light stone in traditional Gorton GC painting, but did that extend to Doncaster in the 1930s? I believe that traditional North Eastern practice was different again.

Nicely done.

I am not seeking to pick fault in any way, but those pictures do remind me that I would like to know, reliably, what colour Doncaster painted the interiors of loco cabs in the 1930s, and was it a universal rule or did different arrangements apply for black locos, green locos, mundane locos and posh locos? The normal colour for the front plates of tenders on LNER green locos seems to be an un-settled question too.

I gather that the upper half of the cab interior was light stone in traditional Gorton GC painting, but did that extend to Doncaster in the 1930s? I believe that traditional North Eastern practice was different again.

Good question Graeme....

To be honest, I am not sure is the answer. It is sort of an educated guess, based on preserved loco photos I have seen, and what I reckon looks about right... What I am fairly sure about is that the cab interior in this engine will be very well weathered, rendering the stone colour almost irrelevant. Surely green for green locos? Blue for blue? I don't know... does anyone?

EDIT: I was originally going for standard black, but fancied spicing things up a bit with the stone. What do you reckon? Too 'out there' or an acceptable risk?

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1

I have been told (can't recall offhand by whom) that LNER cab interiors were red - whether oxide or buffer beam red, I don't know.  In preservation I don't think I've ever seen one painted that colour.

I believe Arthur K mentioned Red for ex NER locos on a post. Personally I use Cream for Black Locos, Red sounds too gaudy for my taste !!. I use Green and Blue for express Locos.

• Like 1

I quite like the Cream / Stone interior with the black.

I'd probably have to agree with Mick about the red being a bit too much when scaled down to OO. (Although I will reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh) :)

Rule 1 applies I think Tom, I think that should always be the determining factor. If you like the stone then that should win out.

Edited by The Blue Streak