Toms LNER Workbench - Comet V2 Chassis

grob1234

I quite like the Cream / Stone interior with the black.

I'd probably have to agree with Mick about the red being a bit too much when scaled down to OO. (Although I will reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh) :)

Rule 1 applies I think Tom, I think that should always be the determining factor. If you like the stone then that should win out.

Dear Mr Streak.

Yes I am happy to roll with this one as it is. It looks quite nice, and is plausible. I'm all for accuracy in model making, but sometimes you just have to get on with it, and accept that sometimes we get it wrong. Hopefully in this case I have been lucky and made the right choice! Either way it will be dulled down considerably by heavy weathering, and should look more the part soon.

All the best for the New Year!

Here is one of a preserved loco, albeit BR black, but with stone insides and black back plate:

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/254837cbc1f64cc3a4794b2deab056c8/lner-0-6-0-65482-close-up-ob-cab-at-holt-station-on-the-north-norfolk-ehdc99.jpg

EDIT: that N2 looks stunning in GNR colours!

Edited by grob1234

I think we ought to remember as well that different works may well have done their own thing, before we get onto what depots and crews did when they had their 'own' engines.  Dick Hardy tells stories (for example) of painting the inside cab of 61564 cream when he was at Ipswich and it being kept immaculate by the regular crew.  I'll ask around to see whether the official painting spec. still exists.

Edited by jwealleans

If you could find out any information would be greatly appreciated, Jonathan.

Can you imagine different works today 'just painting the cab whatever colour took their fancy'?! In a way, I like that they were able to be given a degree of freedom to decide such matters; I'm a firm believer in giving people lots of rope, and trusting them with it until they give you reason to believe otherwise.

I strongly suspect Doncaster cab interiors were the same colour as the outsides, but I have no absolute proof.

What I can say is that 'light stone' is not a Doncaster tradition, I do have evidence to prove that.

Jonathan your 'red' theory is interesting, I wonder where it came from?

The details of livery are often fascinating, I remember a series of articles covering LNER locomotive livery in the MRC, I think, in the late 1970s, a good deal of the information in them was dubious. But once it is published in a respected journal and models made using that information, it becomes 'fact'. NEVER use a model as livery evidence, unless it was built by a contemporary maker with a job at the works in question.

I was the LNER writer in the 'Big Four in Colour' David Jenkinson volume, we certainly didn't get everything right. And I have collected more evidence over the years.

John

Edited by John Smart
  • Like 2

I strongly suspect Doncaster cab interiors were the same colour as the outsides, but I have no absolute proof.

What I can say is that 'light stone' is not a Doncaster tradition, I do have evidence to prove that.

Jonathan your 'red' theory is interesting, I wonder where it came from?

The details of livery are often fascinating, I remember a series of articles covering LNER locomotive livery in the MRC, I think, in the late 1970s, a good deal of the information in them was dubious. But once it is published in a respected journal and models made using that information, it becomes 'fact'. NEVER use a model as livery evidence, unless it was built by a contemporary maker with a job at the works in question.

I was the LNER writer in the 'Big Four in Colour' David Jenkinson volume, we certainly didn't get everything right. And I have collected more evidence over the years.

John

John,

many works used red lead as an "undercoat" as part of the paint process. Did Doncaster do this? If so, then it may be that they then used a  coat(s) of red paint or varnish on top of that. The LNWR had "dark red" cab interiors (that's about as good as the description gets) and as they used red lead as a primer, so I suspect that is why they ended up like that.

Jol

Make the most of him. It's no time at all since my first was born and he's suddenly taller than me and will be 16 in a few months. It doesn't feel like it when they're tiny, but he'll be grown up before you notice. The toy trains will still be there when he's older.

Too true. My kids are in their thirties and producing grandchildren! Just one additional comment though, don't give it up completely it's difficult to re-learn the skills.

Tom,

That J3 looks brilliant and I really like the stone colour inside the cab (whether it is correct or not!). However, I feel that this really draws attention to the cab interior and it would only be of additional benefit to the overall effect it you highlighted some of the backhead features.

John's comment has gotten me reaching for my copy of 'The Big Four in Colour' and there is a photograph on page 84 that part shows the inside of the cabs of a J24 and J25 ex-works at Darlington. While not Doncaster engines, it looks like the upper page of the cab interiors have been painted a red/brown colour. There is also a picture of 'Immingham' in post war green which suggests that the cab interior on this locomotive was painted black.

Whatever turns out to be correct, I'm a fan of the stone!

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year.

Thank you very much for the interesting comments on cab interiors. It is probably safe to say that being a Doncaster engine, it should, on all balance of probability have a black cab.... however, as it is my locomotive, then it shall remain in stone, as like Steve, I quite like it! I find it amazing though, that despite all this time, we are still able to debate this subject, and I guess as the subject matter disappears further into the realms of history, the 'correct' answer to questions like these will be all the more difficult to come by. Over the next week or so I shall set up the weathering kit, and make it look a bit more dirty inside, so it will be a bit of a half way house.

In other news, I have essentially completed the body work on my DJH C1. All went together fairly well actually, though I can't help thinking the brass used for the etching is too thick, as there is quite a lot of cusping on this, compared to other kits I have built. When I have a moment, I'll measure it and see what it is like. I have made modifications to the C1 as I went along, though I can't remember precisely what those modifications were.... One fact I know for sure is that I did follow advice and lowered the tops of the frames by a mm to ensure the correct ride height, and this worked out well.

Here is the current state of play. Just about ready for a clean and then a squirt of etch primer.

post-23638-0-88673700-1515061269_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-44023400-1515061285_thumb.jpg

post-23638-0-74121000-1515061319_thumb.jpg

The next job will be to line the wheels :O then get the chassis painted and fully up and running, and we should be then on to finishing. A nice kit this one.

• Like 5

I have been messing about with he valve gear on the C1. The big end on the DJH etch is rather large so I filed it down a bit. As you can see below, modified and un modified.

post-23638-0-42451600-1515161556_thumb.jpg

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

Would it be possible to post a photo of the underside of one of your locos please, I’ve been watching your video on making pickups but could do with a couple more images to show what I’m aiming for on my screen while I’m working

This evening will be my second attempt at building pickups for my Hawksworth County and I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible

• RMweb Gold

If it's any help this is the underside of a Long Tom (GN 0-8-0) which is on the bench.

post-4738-0-68326000-1515230956_thumb.jpg

I've used .5mm Nickel silver wire which has been soldered to copper clad pads epoxied to the underside of the chassis. If you look in close up there is one wire along the length to join them all and some short lengths which will be bent to 'wipe' on the back of the wheels (all insulated) there will be 2 bends put into the wires for 'springing' and they have some sleeve on them. You will also see 2 wires soldered to a pad which go to the motor/decoder.

• Like 2

Hello All,

One of the things I knew I had to master if I was to become a decent LNER kit builder was lining. Now I know it is possible to get transfers for this but they will be expensive over time, and do not come in all wheel sizes. I’m definitely not saying I have mastered lining, but with a bit of perseverance, and a number of errors I have managed to achieve the following. Bit of a cruel enlargement, but at 3ft and a scale 90mph I think these wheels will just about look ok. The main thing is that I have a method that is repeatable and that is adaptable to any wheel size I choose. It will be interesting to see how I get on with some of the trickier edge lining on an actual locomotive!

post-23638-0-11668500-1515548215_thumb.jpg

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 5

Hi Tom

Would it be possible to post a photo of the underside of one of your locos please, I’ve been watching your video on making pickups but could do with a couple more images to show what I’m aiming for on my screen while I’m working

This evening will be my second attempt at building pickups for my Hawksworth County and I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible

Rich,

I’m sorry for my late reply; I had a 24hour layover in Paris, which doesn’t leave much time for forums! From browsing Tony’s thread that you’re pretty much sorted on this one. I hope that’s the case?

Thank you to those of you who showed your pick ups (oo matron!) yours are far neater than mine! I like the look of the DCC concepts ones. Very neat indeed. I suppose their use relies on accurate placement of the cross members so the pickups fit neatly behind the outside of the wheel to make contact?

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

I’m sorry for my late reply; I had a 24hour layover in Paris, which doesn’t leave much time for forums! From browsing Tony’s thread that you’re pretty much sorted on this one. I hope that’s the case?

Thank you to those of you who showed your pick ups (oo matron!) yours are far neater than mine! I like the look of the DCC concepts ones. Very neat indeed. I suppose their use relies on accurate placement of the cross members so the pickups fit neatly behind the outside of the wheel to make contact?

I did have to slightly elongate the hole in one of them to suit a slightly wandered drill in the crossmember! But when the "bus bars" are soldered in place it then can't move. I will point out that these contacts have never been actually tested yet...

I did have to slightly elongate the hole in one of them to suit a slightly wandered drill in the crossmember! But when the "bus bars" are soldered in place it then can't move. I will point out that these contacts have never been actually tested yet...

I'll be interested to see how you get on with them. Is it a DJH chassis? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Your lining looks brilliant. Mind you, you need to be careful showing pictures of it or you may find Dave (Chris P) sending you a parcel of finished locos in primer in the mail. :)

Hi Rob

Your lining looks brilliant. Mind you, you need to be careful showing pictures of it or you may find Dave (Chris P) sending you a parcel of finished locos in primer in the mail. :)

Thanks mate... isn't Dave in the construction trade? I'm sure I could line a locomotive for him if he agrees to build my house when I return from Hong Kong. That's a fair trade is it not?!

Me too!

It's a Jamieson A1/A3 (being built as an A1 - still don't know what one yet though...).

Oooh an old one! Nice. They are brass bodies aren't they? Might end up looking a bit finer than the DJH.

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

All sorted now thanks, looking at a couple more options helped to interpret the video.

Now I am on the final main task: building the handrails, and hating every minute of it!

• Like 3

All sorted now thanks, looking at a couple more options helped to interpret the video.

Now I am on the final main task: building the handrails, and hating every minute of it!

I’m finding handrails, particularly around the smoke box, extremely tricky too.

• RMweb Gold

Oooh an old one! Nice. They are brass bodies aren't they? Might end up looking a bit finer than the DJH.

Not the way I'm building it ;) As a first build I'm not planning on adding much detail. Frames and a lot of the fittings are brass, body is nickel silver. Rest is white metal.