Toms LNER Workbench - Comet V2 Chassis

grob1234

Hi Tom,

I am well thanks and I hope you are too.

Your A1 will be unique from all the other kit builds though due to your improvements to what is included in the box. If your interested in a scratch built challenge then maybe you could look at how you could seamlessly incorporate a lady's shoe, lipstick dispenser, wall plugs or copper pipe into your A1 build! :lol:

You're moving back to the UK? I would be very happy to meet you in person and see/discuss our various models and the LNER in general when you're back - if you end up in or around Hertfordshire, even better!

I look forward to the next video instalment!

Nice work but can I comment on the terminology, what you are calling "fuse plugs" are the washout plugs, the oval ones are mudhole doors. Fusible plugs are in the firebox crown and not visible from outside.

Thank you Michael - close but no cigar for me, my terminology is quite poor, but I am trying to improve.

For anyone interested, here is the next installment of the DJH Kit Build I am filming:

https://youtu.be/WePJ_RaBtj0

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

I just watched your latest video, excellent as always. With the tender substantially complete, I would guess that the A3 is really coming along now!

It's now sailing its way from Hong Kong to the UK. I imagine it might be at the container port in HKG now.

Lets hope the models make it OK!

Shameless plug for the new video:

https://youtu.be/sNuZ8NNBsiM

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Hello All,

A gentle return to the workbench after a long absence.

I finally have somewhere to make models, and very nice it is too.

My recent project is this lovely kit from Dan Pinnock in the form of Diag. 120.

I have included a shot of the underframe to show the layout here which I found a little challenging as the instructions are a little thin on the ground in places. Spot the obvious error – I soldered the Vacuum pump on the wrong side. I wondered what the tab was for! Never mind it is a very minor detail. No door handles were included, so I simply bent and filed 0.8mm and 0.5mm brass rod to look handle like. I think at viewing distance these will look ok. For the handrails, I felt normal handrail knobs would have been too large – the prototype had very slimline sanctions. I simply pushed thru some 0.4mm wire and soldered from behind. I haven’t forgotten the axle boxes - they will be epoxied on later.

IMG_6044.jpg.0915051f9244cfe8bdf0499e5b183f21.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg.ca74ea006fb2ca9711e3560f03d8e461.jpgIMG_6046.jpg.066e4888055d182212a11f69315e464f.jpg

Next update should include something on the Silver Jubilee set, and maybe the C1 too.

Edit: Anyone got any ideas how to do D&S plastic rooves?

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you back Tom I only looked on your channel and here a few weeks back to see how long it had been since you last posted anything.

Looking  good here tidy work as ever.

Assume something on YouTube soon too?

Cheers 

Ade

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I echo Ade’s sentiments.  We’ve missed your contributions Tom.  Good to have you back on RM Web.

If no one else sorts you out with regards D&S roofs I can put you in touch with our expert on Clayton but he is not an RM Web contributor.  PM me if you want an introduction.

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Edit: Anyone got any ideas how to do D&S plastic rooves?

With difficulty is often the answer.  I can't remember what comes in that kit -is it preformed?   You might think about putting a lip on the top of each end to attach it to, or even a strip or a piece of old rail all along the centreline.

If you have one or can wait to get hold of one, an MJT extrusion is the best bet as it's the right shape and much more rigid.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hello Ade, Frank, Jonathan,

It's good to be able to do a bit of soldering and proper modelling again - very good for the mind. As for videos; let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here... rushing into things 'willy nilly' could be disasterous - I have nearly 2000 subsribers don't you know!! :lol_mini: ;) I do plan on doing some in the future though, as and when time permits, at the moment I'm just happy to be able to build :D

As luck would have it I do have an MJT roof, Jonathan.

IMG_6047.jpg.2db64914abc6daf2ea0324dae4dc4c62.jpgIMG_6048.jpg.340904e1519cc71c6ad2c9494791f826.jpg

It fits very well give or take a few thou here and there. My only slight concern is the rail at the side, and also the thickness of the roof. On the real thing it looks a little thinner to my eye:

LNER Pigeon Van

Here is the supplied roof from Dan, looks more Howlden like to me...

IMG_6049.jpg.cec7a6fbb39b43e543a36e69ce1d936e.jpg

I might make up the D&S roof as best I can, using a plasticard base and a couple of formers inside, and see how it looks, I have nothing to lose. Failing that the MJT roof is 95% of the way there anyway...

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I'm experimenting with some formers at present for sme GN vans. I'm trying some simple materials like Balsa as well as making some trial pieces in resin. Awaiting materials so haven't been able to progress as fast as I would like to.

I've gone for the MJT roof in the end. Looks pretty good, I filed down the cant rail, and fitted the roof gubbins. Just got the various pipeage to fit and I can get it primed tomorrow with a fair wind and possibly a full moon.

I wonder if a good way with rooves might be to scan your etched coach ends, import them into some sort of CAD software then 3d print roof formers about 2mm wide, which could then be super glued to thin styrene sheet to form an accurate roof profile. Alas I can't do CAD and I don't have a 3d printer, but otherwise basically all there....

PS: Dave I just sent you a PM :)

• Like 2

If there was any feeling that the portrayal of the cantrail was too deep at the top of the etched side, you could have subjected yourself to hours of tedious work, scraping a rebate into the lower inner edges of the aluminium roof and across the ends, so that the whole thing sat down a little more on the model and presented a thinner section at each end........

I'm essentially a lazy individual, so hours of work for a 1% gain isn't really my thing. My wife would be exceptionally happy to see me spending my time on such trivia, as you can all imagine.... I'll just ensure no one gets within 3ft of it, then they probably won't notice... plus when it's going a scale 50mph behind a train who's gonna notice?!

A good result I'd say, but I do fancy having a go at the plastic rooves one day. When I'm retired.

Here we are:

IMG_6068.jpg.41073097da22d14afd9e79f02d60ace1.jpg

The van is ready for paint. I have to say its been a pleasure to build it, no fettling or modding required. As has been previously mentioned, the instructions can be a little thin - they're obviously made by somone who knows kits inside out. But with a little reseach online and a few helpful hints from my friends it all came together without a hitch.

I have also been working on the silver Jubilee. When you're making a full 8 coach set, it really is more of a production line at times as oppose to modelling and naturally the process can become repetitive. Masking for example will require about 4-5 hours in total with over 500 pieces of individual masking applied in order to get the finish I require. Around 150 door hinges were applied, droplights, chassis to be made interiors to be painted. I dread to think of the hours spent on this project, but it is inching towards completion. The chrome is on, the coach insides are painted. Teak for the corridors, very light green for 3rd, and Marlborough Blue for 1st. Next will be the light grey, they dark grey for the skirts, then silver for the roof then detial painting.

IMG_6066.jpg.aeb68f8193a89e5d908221478e1885f5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7