Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

G'day Giles,

Theres no reason why the same can't be done on the Emblaser 1, you'd  just need to download laserweb,  work out the settings then save the gcode,  and send to the Emblaser 1 using Universal Gcode Sender (available on darklylabs site).

If anyone wants a more in-depth how-to, I'm happy to put one up here.

• Like 1

G'day Emblaserers!

I noticed a photo of this building   that Phil_sutters had posted in grahame's thread in the card structure modelling area:

attachicon.gifWH_and_H_Le_May_Hop_Factors,_67_Borough_High_Street_SE1_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1571100.jpg

I'd love to build a model of it  but the carved facade looks a little daunting. So I got in touch with Phil who generously sent me a high res photoshop tweaked black and white version:

attachicon.giffacade4.png

I'd always wanted to try 3D engraving of something like this but every forum on the subject always has a load of  Negative Nancies saying "You can't just take a black and white photo and send it to a laser cutter  and hope to  engrave it in 3D - you need expensive and complex 3D modeling software"

So I took the black and white photo and sent it to the emblaser hoping to engrave it in 3D, and... (should mention that this is 55mm wide..)

attachicon.giffacademodel.png

This is the   the laser cut output VS  laserweb interface:

attachicon.giffacadepic2.jpg

I think its done pretty good. I've been a bit down on laserweb but its raster option is  top notch- here it shows that it has cut timber away:

attachicon.giffacadepic3.jpg

Here is a close up comparison with the original VS the laserweb cut one. For you  overseas emblaser buddies the 5c piece is 18mm in diameter, which highlights the detail that the emblaser has managed to get into the figures clothing, face and hand.

attachicon.gifcomparison.png

HOWEVER - one thing that has me intrigued is the last word in the inscription:

attachicon.giffacadepic1.jpg

I have this scene in my head:

Facade engraving guy:     " Orright gov I've finished your carvings, now I'm orff to the rub a dub for some trouble and strife. No wot I mean orright?" (See I know how you all talk because I've seen Lock Stock and two smoking Mary Poppins, Just like you think we all say "Stone the crows and put another jumbuck in me tucker bag sport" Which I sometimes do say actually.)

Mr WH & H Lemay:    FactorY! Its a sodding FactorY!!...........No wot I mean orright?

A big thanks to Phil for the cleaned up high res pic.

Cheers,

Chris J

That is stunning. I've been doing something similar with plain ole bricks but your work is in a different league! 

I'd like to see this again once you've painted and weathered it.

Edited by BrushType4

That is stunning. I've been doing something similar with plain ole bricks but your work is in a different league! 

I'd like to see this again once you've painted and weathered it.

In return, I've been amazed at those sloping brick edges that you've been posting. Your buildings are brilliant.

American Presidents: Is your model railroad lacking a scale model of an  appropriately  patriotic sculptured frieze?

With the Emblaser you can have your own finely detailed HO scale May Day parade backdrop before you can say "Fake Newski"

post-22541-0-71476900-1500117815_thumb.png

post-22541-0-11560600-1500122751_thumb.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Darkly are shipping a focus ring to me FOC  at the cost of postage  only  :thankyou:

will report when I have the bits assembled on results

Nick

with the bits assembled I have given this a test today, frankly disappointing  :cry:   however excellent service from Darkly for the focus ring

the increase in the lines thickness is such that on the size of parts I cut  to make it useless and the original lens was reinstalled,   perhaps a case of more haste less speed

was worth a punt and may well workout for those who model in larger scales

Nick

with the bits assembled I have given this a test today, frankly disappointing  :cry:   however excellent service from Darkly for the focus ring

the increase in the lines thickness is such that on the size of parts I cut  to make it useless and the original lens was reinstalled,   perhaps a case of more haste less speed

was worth a punt and may well workout for those who model in larger scales

Nick

Well thats disappointing!

I have my laser lens , but I have an issue with my emblaser 1, it isn't cutting anything. The laser glows blue but it doesn't even leave a mark. I'm thinking it is set at the 10% power limitation that it is set to without the laser guard. Thats controlled by a micro switch but even jamming something into the gap between the laser guard and the microswitch doesn't fix it.

I'll put in aservice call  with darklyllabs on the weekend  and they'll sort it. Got to say that it is refreshing to have the confidence in a company in that I know I can raise a problem and they will sort it out. I had an issue with my emblaser 2,last weekend  I contacted them about it  Saturday afternoon,  Domenic (darklylabs CEO) replied 9am Sunday morning and I had the replacement part by Tuesday.

Australia used to have a self supporting manufacturing industry until it all went to China. Its nice to have these niche companies popping up AND to experience their  enlightened customer service

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well thats disappointing!

I have my laser lens , but I have an issue with my emblaser 1, it isn't cutting anything. The laser glows blue but it doesn't even leave a mark. I'm thinking it is set at the 10% power limitation that it is set to without the laser guard. Thats controlled by a micro switch but even jamming something into the gap between the laser guard and the microswitch doesn't fix it.

I'll put in aservice call  with darklyllabs on the weekend  and they'll sort it. Got to say that it is refreshing to have the confidence in a company in that I know I can raise a problem and they will sort it out. I had an issue with my emblaser 2,last weekend  I contacted them about it  Saturday afternoon,  Domenic (darklylabs CEO) replied 9am Sunday morning and I had the replacement part by Tuesday.

Australia used to have a self supporting manufacturing industry until it all went to China. Its nice to have these niche companies popping up AND experience their  enlightened customer service

I initial encountered the same problem however found that resitting the 3d printed black lens cover resolved the issue  although it did take a couple of attempts !

Nick

Nick

I initial encountered the same problem however found that resitting the 3d printed black lens cover resolved the issue  although it did take a couple of attempts !

Nick

Nick

Mine had the issue before I even took the lens guard off...  :sadclear:  Additionally with the black guard off when I press the laser button the laser will not stay on unless I hold the button down. Its meant to stay on  at 10% power.

I'll have a fiddle with the cables and leads tomorrow before I put a service job in

. I think its sulking because I have the emblaser 2.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Monkeys,

That sounds right. My cutter is working perfectly (touch laserable ply!), and when I am going through the focus procedure with the guard off, the laser is only active at 10% when I have the button depressed. With the guard on and the laser active, it sits at 10% or thereabouts until it actually starts cutting. My guess is you have a faulty microswitch that detects when the guard is on.

I hope you're up and running again soon!

Gaz.

]Mine had the issue before I even took the lens guard off...  :sadclear:  Additionally with the black guard off when I press the laser button the laser will not stay on unless I hold the button down. Its meant to stay on  at 10% power.

I'll have a fiddle with the cables and leads tomorrow before I put a service job in

. I think its sulking because I have the emblaser 2

At the risk of becoming boring, just another one. I dabble in model ship building and the carvings on the stern have always been very intimidating, but the Emblaser makes it embarrasingly easy - choose file on google search, import into Gimp to beef up the contrast a bit, send to  laserweb, resize to suit and then hit the go button. ( Its still a bit damp from scrubbing off the soot.)

post-22541-0-96662200-1500653808.png

post-22541-0-31748100-1500653867_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've just fitted my G7 lens, and I must say that I'm extremely pleased! It zaps through 0.8mm ply in one pass, and nearly does 2mm MDF in one, but not quite - requiring a second pass to get through (easily).

Measuring the cut result against the AutoCAD drawing, the Kerf would appear to be 0.06 x 0.12mm. sadly I can't remember what it was with the other lens!

Of course it means that all my files will have to be re-done......

• RMweb Premium

I've just fitted my G7 lens, and I must say that I'm extremely pleased! It zaps through 0.8mm ply in one pass, and nearly does 2mm MDF in one, but not quite - requiring a second pass to get through (easily).

Measuring the cut result against the AutoCAD drawing, the Kerf would appear to be 0.06 x 0.12mm. sadly I can't remember what it was with the other lens!

Of course it means that all my files will have to be re-done......

makes me wonder if I ordered the wrong lens ?  for interest which one did you order

just checked it was the G7 I ordered perhaps I should try again ?

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable

makes me wonder if I ordered the wrong lens ?  for interest which one did you order

just checked it was the G7 I ordered perhaps I should try again ?

Nick

You MAY have done what I know I will do when I fit mine - put it in the wrong way..

The lens cleaning article for the Emblaser 2 shows the correct way up for its lens, I assume the EB1 would be the same:

:

post-22541-0-06776500-1500680269_thumb.png

Just a quick question Giles, how necessary is the focus ring thing - can the existing one be used? I haven't asked for a new one yet but its looking like I'll need to replace the little module that the microswitch fits on since my issue seems related to that so if they are sending me one of them, I'll get them to send a ring too.

Edited by monkeysarefun

The screwdriver notches in the bezel face DOWN. I'll have a look at the old lens when I get the chance...

In principle, it is perfectly possible to use the G7 lens without the focus ring - it will screw straight in - it will simply be more tricky and delicate to handle.

Edit.

Yes, it is exactly the same focus ring - stupid me - of course it is - Domenic supplied it!

Edited by Giles

I see that the update for Emblaser 2 production on their website support thread has said that they have changed consultants for CE approval, (old ones moving too slowly), no new dates or other info - so I guess it's still going to be a fair wait before the EU ones get shipped.

I suppose if you want to look at the positives - at least Darkly will have cleared all the US backlog by the time they get CE so they will be able to devote most of their production to it, and they should have removed most of the wrinkles from product and production!

Tim

Edited by TimP

Indeed - it should be a more trouble-free unit when it finally gets to us.

I'm one of the very lucky ones - having an Emblazer 1 means that I'm not actually in any rush- but I do sympathise very greatly with those for whom the E2 is their only laser! However, they have still produced and delivered two types of laser in less time than Glowforge have done one....

I see that the update for Emblaser 2 production on their website support thread has said that they have changed consultants for CE approval, (old ones moving too slowly), no new dates or other info - so I guess it's still going to be a fair wait before the EU ones get shipped.

I suppose if you want to look at the positives - at least Darkly will have cleared all the US backlog by the time they get CE so they will be able to devote most of their production to it, and they should have removed most of the wrinkles from product and production!

Tim

By the time the EU get round to certifying it, the UK may well be out.  Much easier dealing with ONE government than twentyeight!

By the time the EU get round to certifying it, the UK may well be out.  Much easier dealing with ONE government than twentyeight!

And that might mean an extra certification that has to be done after all the EU stuff is finalised even though anything we do is likely to be derived from CE and other applicable certifications.

Tim

And they are adding more free stuff, like the lens cleaner kit. That cost me $47 with shipping..