Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

• 3 months later...

Is there a source of the black flexible hose in the UK that is used in the exhaust for the Emblaser 2? I could do with about double the original length. Its a push fit into some rigid 43mm waste water pipe that I had lying around but I need a longer flexible hose. Crazy though it seems,  my brief search so far suggests the UK stuff sold for fish ponds and the like is fluted in the opposite direction. Shouldn't be difficult to fashion a push fit connector. It measures about 42mm ID and 50mm OD

Phil

simple adapter change of sizes for ducting - I've used it a number of times to connect woodworking machines to shop vacs, etc. Get a plastic drinks container, the one litre size with a gradual taper from the body to the cap works nicely. Cut it at appropriate diameter places, and gaffer tape it on, if necessary. For my purposes, it gives a gradual change of diameter.

Edited by raymw
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/01/2021 at 19:42, Cokebreeze said:

Is there a source of the black flexible hose in the UK that is used in the exhaust for the Emblaser 2? I could do with about double the original length. Its a push fit into some rigid 43mm waste water pipe that I had lying around but I need a longer flexible hose. Crazy though it seems,  my brief search so far suggests the UK stuff sold for fish ponds and the like is fluted in the opposite direction. Shouldn't be difficult to fashion a push fit connector. It measures about 42mm ID and 50mm OD

Phil

Is this any good at Machine Mart?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/2in-reinforced-hose/

Martin

On 17/01/2021 at 19:42, Cokebreeze said:

Phil

Google is your friend

https://www.swelluk.com/swell-anti-kink-pond-hose/

We use something similar for extraction for work.  We 3D printed the connectors and nozzles.

There are lots of makes and varieties - I don't think the fluting/spiral wrap direction makes a difference.  If in doubt, wrap a bit of gaffer tape around the joint, or use some sealant?

atb

Simon

On 18/01/2021 at 03:42, Cokebreeze said:

Phil

That's cos it's Australian. It's like the water in the plughole. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Is anyone still using their Emblaser 1 with Cut2D Laser (which version?) or is everyone using Lightburn now?

I'm just about to start using mine after a lay-off most modelling for a year - its the original Emblaser 1 using Cut2D Laser in its last upgrade form.   I reckon there are bugs in this update and I'm looking at using a recent laser add-on to Cut2D Desktop which I use for CNC milling.    I tried to have some discussion about the bugs in Cut2D Laser with Vectric a year or so ago but they weren't very interested and I suspect they had already decided to do an add-on to the Desktop version rather than continue with the original Laser version.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just as a follow up,  here's the Vectric web site on the laser add-on

https://www.vectric.com/products/laser-module

I think I remember it costing about £50 but you also need the latest V10.5 of Cut2D desktop to run it.

Jim.

[Later]   The cost is £39 - just found it digging around on the Vectric website.

Edited by flubrush
  • Thanks 1

As an aside, I just tried cutting some components from my latest batch of Trotec ADA, and I can't get a clean cut, try as I might....... It ends up with furry edges. I put a but of my older stuff in, and perfect.... New stuff, rubbish....

I've dropped Trotec an email, but until I find out what's going on, I couldn't recommend the stuff - and I can't make anything!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

As an aside, I just tried cutting some components from my latest batch of Trotec ADA, and I can't get a clean cut, try as I might....... It ends up with furry edges. I put a but of my older stuff in, and perfect.... New stuff, rubbish....

I've dropped Trotec an email, but until I find out what's going on, I couldn't recommend the stuff - and I can't make anything!

That is the problem I have, tried all sorts of settings of speed, power, passes and always have to clean up the edges.

Martin

Hmmmm. I very much doubt it was your fault - I've never had a problem except sometimes with 1mm, but even that was better than what I'm getting with 0.5mm now.

I'll speak to them on Monday. I had bought £150 worth in December, so it's not very pleasing....!

• Informative/Useful 1