Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

• RMweb Premium

update on the ECore  well that went together rather well,  first use straight from the box default settings   0.8mm ply that would take up to   9 passes to cut with a E1

one pass and cut :o   Much less burning   as well  

20190217_132357.jpg.1809304ec0b90dde75d6ec2046d9f9c7.jpg

seriously impressed

Nick 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently I have been working in a smaller scale than normal for me, that of 4mm. Using the Emblaser 2 to cut 2mm MDF and 1.5mm ply I have the task of constructing the station overbridge, steps and canopies for our clubs new 4mm layout Swanley Junction.

Overbridge and canopies taking shape. The overbridge is just a rough while working out techniques.

32438037967_45923e7669_c.jpg

Various experiments with the step units, which I have now decided on the techniques and will be doing the final drawings soon to then start cutting the actual units.

47326612032_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

32438037877_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

The canopies took me back to my model aeroplane making days! Each canopy is in three units because of the Emblaser bed size limit, the units are joined with dovetail tabs which you can see part way along this photo not yet clipped together. This helps with alignment and strength. The end halving joints are deliberately over length, they will be sanded back when the glue has dried.

32438037867_aa50ffdf0a_c.jpg

The fascias are cut from 1.5mm ply and laminated onto the MDF and will hide all the joints.

47380630702_a3028d7082_c.jpg

33557409298_c21e5ed78b_c.jpg

33557409048_470d42a31c_c.jpg

Each canopy takes up a fair chunk of the workbench.

47380630632_0a57bdbbb3_c.jpg

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 21/03/2019 at 00:38, nick_bastable said:

fab card I assume ?

Nick

Sorry Nick, I can not understand the nuance of your comment. Your question maybe refers to the materials? The car is built in wood, including the friezes, seats and interior moldings. The cloth of the seats is real fabric. The first class floor reproduces carpet, and the second class linoleum.

Very impressive those platforms. A giant work compared to my miniatures!

Best regards from Barcelona.

Proto moqueta Estado (cv1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This forum has always been a great supporter for Darkly Labs products.

I just wanted to send out an alert that we have had a number of Emblaser Core machines fraudulently purchased within the UK.

Please be careful of anyone (other than Darkly Labs) offering Emblaser Core machines for sale. These machines have been flagged as stolen.

We would appreciate contacting us privately if you see any suspicious activity relating to this.

Thanks,

Domenic

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

What do you mean by the phrase "Emblaser Core machines"?

ie. :- What is a "Core machine"?

And :- What sort of numbers are we talking about, five-ish, twenty-ish, or more?

It will give us an idea of how the perpetrators might be trying to pass them on.

Kev.

The Emblazer Core is the Third generation machine, which would appear to be a useful cross between the Emblazer 1 and the E2. An open frame laser (like the E1, but with the sophistication of the E2......

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Giles said:

The Emblazer Core is the Third generation machine, which would appear to be a useful cross between the Emblazer 1 and the E2. An open frame laser (like the E1, but with the sophistication of the E2......

AS a owner of one of these a really useful bit of kit

Nick

(purchase via Darkly I would add )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Wll that was an epic read. :D

The new core laser is calling to me and I havent even started drinking yet. :O

Has anyone use Visio as a drawing programme, or will I need to get my head round yet more sopftware?

if it can make a pdf  your up and away

Nick

• 2 months later...

I have 3D printed some magnetic material support blocks  for my E2 using the Darkly Labs files, this enables me to hold even small or odd shaped pieces precisely, also it helps flatten large bowed sheets, they are the same height as the supplied cutting mats so my settings stay the same.

There are two types, one with a large head bolt for clamping around the edge of the material and a pointed block set to support in the middle underneath.

48786997918_1f8aeac258_c.jpg

48787358396_2f5b9fd54c_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Update and a warning about using the 3D printed brackets.

If like me you completely forget the support blocks are 15mm taller than the supplied cutting mats, when you run the machine damage will occur, mine broke a rail mounting bracket, so all my cutting plans are now on hold. :(

48792843276_1515092ebb_c.jpg

I have raised a support ticket so hopefully can get a replacement and suggested a note be included in the original guide for people like me that when using the support blocks instead of cutting mat that height settings will need to be changed.

Martin

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Oh dear...... great sympathy!!

Thank you, silly mistake but with a lot of things going on it did not spring to mind about the support height.

Having said that I have yet to find where you set the vertical zero point for the E2, the workaround I have done is effectively added 15mm to the material thickness in the library. Of course I could be incredibly thick and missed the blindingly obvious which would not surprise me these days!

Martin

• 1 month later...

Some new rod support brackets arrived very promptly from Darkly a while back, they came in as four to a pack including nuts, bolts and an allen key, including shipping cost came out about £25, not too bad. Fiddly things to fit because they are tucked up in the corners of the machine. The only way I could get the new one to fit was to loosed the one at the other end and shuffle around the bar until they lined up again.

Having now got my head around the whole support height value, alien to me because I have always used cutting mats and never had to consider the support value, obvious now, but they do say anyone who never made a mistake hasn't learnt anything, or something like that, I am now back up and running.

A new area for me is working in 4mm, takes some getting used to having always worked in 7mm or 16mm, so some techniques of construction do not translate to the smaller scale very well.

I have at last cleared all my wife's card cutting requirements which the E2 performed brilliantly, which meant I could now get back to the station footbridge step units on our clubs new 4mm layout.

Therefore I have been busy burning through sheets of 2mm MDF and thick card creating all the parts for the step units. It has been impressive how fine the E2 has managed to cut.

One of the drawings to be imported into Lightburn

49020503247_eb7f231b84_c.jpg

2mm MDF

49033131597_0a24bc2a0d_c.jpg

49023308986_d9d23e65db_c.jpg

49032406443_7104e3ba6c_c.jpg

49019779198_1a2a6488d1_c.jpg

49022788653_0ec930d60a_c.jpg

Cardstock

49033131332_658a5d6bfa_c.jpg

49032816223_96d75105af_c.jpg

Martin