Darkly Labs emblaser - affordable laser cutter - review

.... And he can definitely keep his bl**y spiders - but I like the gothic!

The short answer is -yes- you could certainly do a bit at the time. You would need to tape or clamp down a 'fence' to keep your material accurately aligned, and then do a test or too, and make some index marks - but the machine is quite accurate enough to do what you're asking - you just need to make sure you step the material along exactly the right amount.

Three foot is what, only two joins, anyway.....

Just a  question: How intense is the smell? When I open a package of lasered wood (MDF and plywood), I always think someone has started a barbeque  :biggrin_mini2:  I wonder If this thing needs a casing and some kind of exhaust?

Btw this round window looks superb...

Michael

Edited by teetrix

Just a  question: How intense is the smell? When I open a package of lasered wood (MDF and plywood), I always think someone has started a barbeque  :biggrin_mini2:  I wonder If this thing needs a casing and some kind of exhaust?

Btw this round window looks superb...

Michael

I have been doing any timber and plastic outside (the emblaser is easily portable) so haven't experienced what they smell like.

The card window above I did inside last night, all up it took about 40 minutes of non-stop lasering and I only smelt anything if I was directly above the unit checking its progress, in this case it was like faint burning newspaper but that didn't linger or travel beyond the unit . There was certainly no build up smoke or smell during or afterwards. I think that is mainly due to me getting the settings finely tuned so there is no excess scorching of the material.

Thank you for the window comment!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

To add to that, I agree - it very much depends on how well you've got it focussed.

I've had a problem, insofar as I can't see well enough to focus it properly (I can't see the change in the dot size as I get 'flare' from astigmatism). I've been aware that my laser probably wasn't focussed to its optimum (and could smoke when cutting MDF), but yesterday, more by luck than judgement, managed to set the laser soooo much better, and found it cutting very much cleaner, with less smoke and smell (and getting more penetration into the bargain)

The only downside to this is now I'm going to have to do double cuts for mortar courses as a single cut is now too narrow!

The plus side is that I get no charring when I cut right through the 2mm MDF, and more -

My wife Diane, although she is properly fascinated by brickwork and joints etc., seems to have an interest in what it will do with things like leather..... (For glove making, purses, all sorts, before you all get carried away...). The info on Darklylabs website is that it will cut through 1.5mm leather, which we thought was useful enough. However, I find that it will actually (and practically) cut through 3.5mm thick leather - which makes it REALLY USEFUL.

The etching on the leather was 15mm per second at 80% (1pass), and to cut was 10mm per second at 100% (8 passes)

16A5DB95-4EA4-436B-970F-1DE1C1FFE3BB_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

The only downside to this is now I'm going to have to do double cuts for mortar courses as a single cut is now too narrow!

Thats easily solved. You simply have two emblasers, one high precision one for cutting and leatherwork and the other set to 'blurry' for bricks!

• RMweb Gold

Resistance is futile.....

I've been following the Silhouette cutter thread since the beginning, and been amazed at the work that has been demonstrated.

I was going to buy one as a retirement present to myself, until this thread came along....

I was only looking at the Darkly Labs site out of curiosity - I tried to resist, honest, but somehow the "order now" button got accidentally clicked.

It's all the fault of that monkeysarefun. Just hope one of his arachnid friends doesn't come along for the ride.

Alan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, a card problem meant that I had to click the order button accidentally about five times. I think this is the first time I've bought something where I only want bugs in the software!

For those of you who are mildly interested in brickwork - I've made good progress (though it may not appear so).

I've off-set the mortar courses diagonally by 0.1mm to give a little width. But at least I now have a formula that works in all respects.

The etching is 15mm/sec @ 100%, 1 pass and the cut is 10mm/sec @ 100%, 4 passes.

I also bought some aluminium honeycomb (10mm deep, 6mm cells) from eBay, which I've sprayed black and taped to the bed... Seems to be ok so far....!

AAA15E10-64E6-48E7-A1B8-C37C814D075C_zps

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, the DM I sent to Tom and Monkeysarefun a couple of days ago was a long winded way of asking if tutorials would be ok on here (Silhouette style thread) or if it was worth putting them separately (Mike T's Inkscape thread). Academic at the moment in my case, and given the fact I've not used one yet, but I didn't want to assume.

Hi Giles, I'm more than mildly interested in brickwork. I have problems with embossed plasticard, so this is going to be a great help.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on setting up some kind of folder, say a public dropbox one where people willing to share dxf, pdf and cutting files can put them?I'm happy to provide copies of files  I create if people want to play around with them.

• Like 1

Hi Gordon, the DM I sent to Tom and Monkeysarefun a couple of days ago was a long winded way of asking if tutorials would be ok on here (Silhouette style thread) or if it was worth putting them separately (Mike T's Inkscape thread). Academic at the moment in my case, and given the fact I've not used one yet, but I didn't want to assume.

Hi Giles, I'm more than mildly interested in brickwork. I have problems with embossed plasticard, so this is going to be a great help.

Oops, I didn't notice I had a message there - I've just beeln a bit of a lurker here until I got the Emblaser so I didn't realise that there are messages! My apologies, and I'm happy for this thread to go whichever way we take it!

Just a quick message for anyone going to the darklylabs website for the  first time. They very recently archived a whole lot of their forum, which included a lot of examples of what people have been doing with the Emblaser, including modelmaking, plus helpful hints and tips and answers to possible issues that can pop up during the build and operation.

It is possible to access it though through the forum archive link on the support page (accessed via the 'support' tab) - just make sure  you select 'all categories' in the viewing filter down on the left hand side because by default this seems to be off..

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on setting up some kind of folder, say a public dropbox one where people willing to share dxf, pdf and cutting files can put them?I'm happy to provide copies of files  I create if people want to play around with them.

I'm not sure if you are aware, we are able to upload dxf and svg files that are less than 1MB in size onto RMWeb, which might be a help. I've uploaded a few in the past like the Barnum coach sides and the infamous shed tutorial on the Silhouette thread. I've a feeling pdf files are possible too.

Oops, I didn't notice I had a message there - I've just beeln a bit of a lurker here until I got the Emblaser so I didn't realise that there are messages! My apologies, and I'm happy for this thread to go whichever way we take it!

Haha, no problem at all. Good to hear it. :)

One thing about bricks, in this month's (free) Model Railroad Hobbyist there is an article on using and painting bought sheets of brick embossed basswood. They have an interesting way of doing corners which is worth looking at, and a few ideas about fancy cornices. Also, looking at the brick sheet suppliers website, he doesn't half manage to get a lot of texture into his bricks - http://monstermodelworks.com/ Anyway, here's the link to the file http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/ You can read it online or download it as a PDF file to all sorts of tablets, computers and phones.

Edited by JCL

I'm not sure if you are aware, we are able to upload dxf and svg files that are less than 1MB in size onto RMWeb, which might be a help. I've uploaded a few in the past like the Barnum coach sides and the infamous shed tutorial on the Silhouette thread. I've a feeling pdf files are possible too.

Would that be a central kind of area as opposed to embedding them into a post as part of a thread? If it was attaching them to a post, they could become hard to find if you have to trawl through numerous pages to find the post that had the file attached. I was thinking one simple go-to directory with maybe sub-directories for 'windows' 'doors' 'spiders' and so on would make things quick and easy to find.  Is that kind of thing possible here?

• RMweb Gold

Maybe something can be done software-wise with some sort of file repository, or possibly a thread that is curated? As Dutch_Master said, PM Andy, he was very helpful to me when setting up the Silhouette thread. It would be nice to keep everything on RMWeb, one of the worst things about people storing photos etc on other sites like Photobucket, Facebook, etc, is the number of times you go to an old thread with exactly the information you need only to find out that the associated 3rd party based photos no longer exist.

Edited by JCL

Having skimmed through this thread, please tell me people aren't buying cheap laser cutters and using MDF and plastics in them with no extraction!!!

The vapours and dust given off by these materials, MDF in particular, are extremely hazardous and no laser cutter should be used without proper extraction to filter out the nasties. If no extraction comes with these cutters, at the very least users should be wearing full respirators (not just dust masks), but that does nothing to protect everyone else in the house, pets, neighbours etc, so I sincerely hope the manufacturers of these cutters makes clear what materials are safe to cut in these circumstances.

David

Having skimmed through this thread, please tell me people aren't buying cheap laser cutters and using MDF and plastics in them with no extraction!!!

The vapours and dust given off by these materials, MDF in particular, are extremely hazardous and no laser cutter should be used without proper extraction to filter out the nasties. If no extraction comes with these cutters, at the very least users should be wearing full respirators (not just dust masks), but that does nothing to protect everyone else in the house, pets, neighbours etc, so I sincerely hope the manufacturers of these cutters makes clear what materials are safe to cut in these circumstances.

David

My neighbour is a chain smoker. When the wind blows from the south it blows his carcinogenic laden smoke right through my house.

All *$@$&ing day. 

If you read the thread you'll see that I use the emblaser outside - but thats not for fear of fumes, its just that this time of year the wind is usually a northerly and I am getting my revenge.  :declare:

But,, I am only doing timber and card with a 4W laser diode so I reckon that he is the more potent one...

I do truly appreciate your  point  David  and it is an important one thats easily overlooked, I guess while there's nothing stopping anyone lasering super fatal stuff, hopefully we are grown up enough to be aware of the dangers, and to at least do some research prior to trying new materials.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1